SiouxSports.com Forum

Fatty Fournier Flees

spfreak

When they fall, they fall hard.

In a remarkable coincidence, a 6.0 earthquake on the Richter Scale just shook downtown Anchorage.

There goes my Fournburglar costume though. Maybe I can make Grimace like one for Beaverson. Anyone know where I can get a beluga whale costume? Hmmm.

Oh knock it off!!! It's kinda sad really...for a guy with some talent to totally blow his future because of WHATEVER...The fact he left UND was understandable....now he's done with hockey. Besides...speaking of wasted talent...whatever happened to Aaron Schweitzer?:lol:

Not to mention he dropped out of school.

The inch release

He's now complaining about UAA revoking his scholarship due to academic ineligibility, and is turning pro. Would guess the NHL is falling all over themselves with big buck offers for this whiner :lol:

"Was I a big fan of school? No. But they made a decision easy because they were going to revoke my scholarship, which seems kind of funny when you're their second-leading scorer,'' Fournier said.

Seems to think his hockey ability should take precedent over his education, and the academic rules at UAA. If you're one of the teams' top scorers, why should you have to go to class?

Oh knock it off!!! It's kinda sad really...for a guy with some talent to totally blow his future because of WHATEVER...The fact he left UND was understandable....now he's done with hockey. Besides...speaking of wasted talent...whatever happened to Aaron Schweitzer?:lol:

The kid is a punk. At times I feel bad for him, but then I remember that everything that has happened to him is his own doing but he won't take responsibility for any of it.

Comparing Schweitzer and Fournier makes no sense. Schweitzer came in as an unheralded freshmen, took the goaltending spot away from a senior and backstopped UND to their sixth national championship before falling behind arguably the greatest goalie in UND's history, Karl Goehring, on the depth chart. Without Schweitzer, UND probably doesn't win the title that year, which would give them almost as few championships as the Gophers! :p:)

Fournier came in as a heralded freshmen, prize recruit, junior player of the year, then developed a horrible attitude, alienated his teammates and coaches, turned his back on exercise and conditioning, embraced fast food and washed out of UND leaving a skid mark in his wake - then he went to AA and evidently washed out again.

The difference is, when given the opportunity, Schweitzer took advantage and with his talent lead UND to the top of the college hockey world in '97 - wasted talent, I think not. Fournier was given a similar opportunity but his attitude and lack of commitment overshadowed any talent he may have had while at UND.

Fournier came in as a heralded freshmen, prize recruit, junior player of the year, then developed a horrible attitude,

One has to think the bad attitude was there long before he came to UND, given he's pulled the same garbage now at two different colleges. Sure sounds like he thinks he deserves extra special treatment. Possibly he'll grow up when he realizes he is now on the streets with no job and no education.

The kid is a punk. At times I feel bad for him, but then I remember that everything that has happened to him is his own doing but he won't take responsibility for any of it.

I agree, Diggler. He's made his own bed and he's certainly had chances to realize the error of his ways. The guy doesn't have to play hockey. But he chooses too, and thinks that people owe him instead of having to earn his spot. My guess is he's real close to a real rock bottom experience of some kind.

Call to broker: "Sell my shares in McDonalds and Krispy Kreme!" :p:)

I don't feel sorry for this clown. He had a wealth of talent and squandered it. Hill took a risk in giving Fatass a second chance, and he got burned for it. I feel more for Hill, who seems like a class act, than some spoiled, underachieving brat. If Chrissy thinks college was "tough" wait until somebody in the WHL or ECHL lays him out at center ice. :lol:

I saw the kid at the Wild Onion Bar in St Paul after the Final Five game that UND lost to the Gophers. The whole AA team was there. Fournier was barely able to stand! He was so small in real life, I couldn't believe it, but yet he acted extremely cocky and taunted sioux fans: "you lost today!", as if we didn't know it. If we had a group of about 20 guys with us, it would be pretty easy to say and act like he did.

Bottom line:

In the one instance I saw Fatty Fournier, he was a drunk, classless, stumbling (short) idiot. Was he like this the rest of the time? With being declared academically ineligible, I would venture to say YES.

From the INCH article:

The feeling, apparently, was mutual, and Fournier was met with a chorus of boos at Ralph Engelstad Arena last January when he scored a goal for the Seawolves in their 6-2 loss to the Sioux.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was at that game and I don't remember hearing "a chorus of boos." As I recall, the crowd's reaction was more of stunned silence and disappointment that Fournier scored a goal. Maybe there was some scattered booing, but I don't remember it.

From the INCH article:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was at that game and I don't remember hearing "a chorus of boos." As I recall, the crowd's reaction was more of stunned silence and disappointment that Fournier scored a goal. Maybe there was some scattered booing, but I don't remember it.

Actually, what INCH being INCH meant to say, before their word processing software went crazy was, "After Fournier's goal, the UND crowd went mad with anger, climbed on to the ice and beat him senseless with their foam "Number 1" fingers, and then force fed him low-carb soy burgers." :p:lol:

Actually, what INCH being INCH meant to say, before their word processing software went crazy was, "After Fournier's goal, the UND crowd went mad with anger, climbed on to the ice and beat him senseless with their foam "Number 1" fingers, and then force fed him low-carb soy burgers." :p:lol:

It's all coming back to me now. I also remember that the spiteful fans rained tiny Red River fish on the ice after Fournier's goal. :)

(sorry if above link didn't work, here it is..)

UAA has a hole to plug

HOCKEY: Team down a lead scorer when Fournier loses scholarship, says he's moving on.

By DOYLE WOODY

Anchorage Daily News

(Published: August 10, 2004)

Center Chris Fournier, who would have been the UAA hockey team's leading returning scorer, is academically ineligible for the upcoming semester and says he will turn professional.

Fournier, 22, of Anchorage, said he decided "a few months ago'' he would not return to UAA and currently is mulling his options in pro hockey.

"I just felt it was time to move on to the next level, so that's what I'm going to do,'' Fournier said.

But UAA coach John Hill said Fournier never told him or his assistant coaches of any such decision.

"Chris became ineligible in the spring semester,'' Hill said. "To become eligible, he needed to take some summer classes, and he failed to complete them.

"We wish him the very best in his future endeavors.''

UAA did not announce Fournier's ineligibility, but last week it removed his name from the roster posted on the athletic department's Web site.

Fournier, who would have been a junior, scored 14 goals and added a team-high 18 assists last season. He was the team's second-leading scorer behind linemate Curtis Glencross, who turned professional after his 21-goal sophomore season, signing a contract with the NHL's Anaheim Mighty Ducks that included a $750,000 signing bonus.

Fournier said having his scholarship stripped prompted his decision to leave college hockey.

"Was I a big fan of school? No. But they made a decision easy because they were going to revoke my scholarship, which seems kind of funny when you're their second-leading scorer,'' Fournier said.

But Dede Allen, UAA's associate athletic director for academics and compliance, said it is not uncommon for an athlete to have a scholarship revoked after becoming academically ineligible. Allen said she could not speak specifically about Fournier's case because of privacy issues.

Hill said the school followed institutional policy in revoking Fournier's scholarship.

"It was a decision in the financial aid office, not in the hockey office,'' Hill said. "I think we did everything to aid Chris in his academics -- tutors were readily available.

"I gladly support our academic mission.''

Fournier's departure leaves a hole in the UAA lineup. Last season, he centered the team's top line and quarterbacked its power play. Fournier's absence, along with Glencross' early move to the pros, Dallas Steward's departure after a 15-goal senior season and the loss of a couple of other players, means UAA has lost 54.8 percent of its goal scoring from last season's team.

The Seawolves' leading returning scorer will be sophomore center Charlie Kronschnabel, who earned 9-13--22 totals in 33 games last season. UAA will not have a returner who reached double digits in goals last season, when the Seawolves (14-23-3) won a playoff series in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association for the first time and advanced to the WCHA Final Five, winning one game there.

"I really believe this: We have guys who are in shape, guys who have worked hard in the summer, and I think they're excited about the season,'' Hill said. "You concentrate your energy on the players who are part of your program.

"We have a lot of confidence and faith in the kids coming back.''

The Seawolves have six remaining skaters who are either natural centers or can play center -- Kron- schnabel, sophomore Brett Arcand-Kootenay, senior Martin Stuchlik, and freshmen Eric Walsky, Merit Waldrop and Blair Tassone. They are among 15 forwards listed on UAA's roster, which features nine returning forwards and six freshman forwards.

Fournier arrived at UAA two seasons ago after transferring from North Dakota of the WCHA, where he played his freshman season. He had to sit out one season as dictated by NCAA transfer rules.

Prior to college, Fournier led the U.S. Hockey League in scoring in 2000-01 and was named USA Hockey's junior player of the year. He also was the Daily News/Coaches state player of the year as a freshman at East High before going Outside to play junior hockey.

While Fournier is gone from UAA, the Seawolves expect to regain the services of junior defenseman Matt Hanson. Hanson became academically ineligible midway through last season, but Hill said he anticipates Hanson will be eligible when his grades from summer school courses are recorded.

Reporter Doyle Woody can be reached at dwoody@adn.com.

"Was I a big fan of school? No. But they made a decision easy because they were going to revoke my scholarship, which seems kind of funny when you're their second-leading scorer,'' Fournier said

WHY CAN'T THIS GUY KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT??? Does he really think it matters that he was their second leading scorer? You don't pass your COLLEGE classes, you don't play COLLEGE hockey. If he thinks he has a shot in the NHL, it is only as they guy who delivers food (undoubtedly half-eaten) to the players hotel rooms.

The only reason I asked about Schweitzer was genuine curiousity about whatever happened to him? Yes he stepped in as a freshman (over not much in Toby K) and helped UND win a National Title...then apparently burned out early or got nervous about a kid he heard would be coming to UND named Karl something...winning 1 championship was great...not giving himself a shot to equal that task in 3 more years of eligibility is a disapointment in my book - not on the level of Fournier but a disapointment nonetheless...