SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football

UND Fan

Apparently there was a pre-season depth chart in yesterday's Herald. I have been unable to find it on their website. Can someone enlighten me how to find it there? If it is not available online, it would be great if someone could fax it to me at (904) 886-5234.

Anything surprising on the lists?

Thanks!

Here it is:

quarterback-Bowenkamp, Manke/Bellmore (both listed as second)

running back-Roland, Strouth

fullback-Wisthoff, Christensen

split end-Grossman, Groeschl

flanker-Johnson, Weber

tight end-Kusler, Mielke

left tackle-Smith, Bauer

left guard-Braegelmann, Soll

center-Hendrickson, Storhaug

right guard-Kuper, Doescher

right tackle-Hoffelt, Bronson

left defensive end-Newhouse, Gruschalla

nose guard-Duchscher, Brennan

right defensive end-Peterson, Cadwell

outside lb-Hermes, Dahlen

inside lb-Anderson, Halstenson

inside lb-Nordick, Ullsperger

outside lb-Maier, Brennan

left corner-Hoffschneider, Franklin

rover-Gagner, DeSautel

free safety-Brandsted, Greenwood

right corner-Manke, Alexander

kicker-Glas, Saunders

punter-Loe, Halfmann

The biggest surprise to me is that a returning first team all-conference player (Dahlen) is listed as a backup.

I think on the defensive front 7, if your in the top two you play as much (or even more in some cases) as the starter. Whoever in the 2 deep is playing well plays more, regardless of whether your the 1 or 2. The guys listed as 2's on our D would make a hell of a unit at most schools!!

Here it is:

quarterback-Bowenkamp, Manke/Bellmore (both listed as second)

running back-Roland, Strouth

fullback-Wisthoff, Christensen

split end-Grossman, Groeschl

flanker-Johnson, Weber

tight end-Kusler, Mielke

left tackle-Smith, Bauer

left guard-Braegelmann, Soll

center-Hendrickson, Storhaug

right guard-Kuper, Doescher

right tackle-Hoffelt, Bronson

left defensive end-Newhouse, Gruschalla

nose guard-Duchscher, Brennan

right defensive end-Peterson, Cadwell

outside lb-Hermes, Dahlen

inside lb-Anderson, Halstenson

inside lb-Nordick, Ullsperger

outside lb-Maier, Brennan

left corner-Hoffschneider, Franklin

rover-Gagner, DeSautel

free safety-Brandsted, Greenwood

right corner-Manke, Alexander

kicker-Glas, Saunders

punter-Loe, Halfmann

The biggest surprise to me is that a returning first team all-conference player (Dahlen) is listed as a backup.

UND looks a little bit weak at the reciever position, but then I'm not sure about any tranfers that have come in. One word to describe the defense.....LOADED!!!! :lol:

I would say the Herald's depth chart from sunday's paper is something that comes from Spring Practices and will see many changes come the season opener. There were a handfull of players who did not participate in the spring and subsequently are not listed on the chart. I suspect the chart changes weekly, and I would not put too much stock in the Herald's list, at least not at this time. Even during the season the chart changes from week-to-week, so at this time it can only be looked at as a piece of conversation. I would say the biggest surprises for me, would be how close to number 1's some of the redshirt freshmen are. Examples; Braegelman, Alexander and Cadwell. They must be impressive.

Cadwell was very impressive in the spring game, so it doesn't suprise me that he's in the mix at DE. Although I didn't pay much attention to Alexander in the spring game, I've heard some very good things about him. Braegelman is a suprise to me simply because not many freshmen make an immediate impact on the OLine at UND.

The thing I'm most interested in finding out about is the receivers. Will any of the redshirts make a big splash or will Johnson/ Grossman/ Weber/ Groeschl see the bulk of the playing time? I'd like to think that one of those young guys can become the big deep threat like Lueck last year. Somebody with the inside scoop fill us in. :lol:

I wouldnt fret too much about the depth chart myself. IM pretty sure Jamal Franklin will start. As well as Dan Ullspberger at weak side linebacker. And Babington-Johnson not being seen on the depth chart shows the depth we have, and Im pretty sure we will see him on the field alot(trusting he doesnt derail hiself)(i.e. Riza). But as a defensive whole were super stacked, Im excited to see how coach TIbesar handles it all.

Do you think he will start over Hoffschneider or do you mean one will move to the other side for Manke? I would hope its Manke.

teamsioux,

you bring up an interesting topic. last year hoffschneider and manke started. franklin was inelegible last season and was probably the best corner they have. another backup they have is donovan alexander. this is the deepest that UND has been at corner since i can remember. they have 4 very capable guys that can play. so the question remains, do you keep hoffschneider and manke as your starters from last year and not break up any continuity? or do you let franklin start ahead of one of the 3? also, corner has always been a position that i have noticed throughout the years never brings in fresh guys. UND's d-line, and LB's have always rotated fresh guys, but not in the secondary. i dont know if it was bubba's philosophy, if it was because they just never had the depth they do now, or if rotating corners is just something you dont do because of the mentality back there. if anyone knows this reason please feel free to explain. but that is another option, to rotate corners every 4th series or something to that effect. any way you look at it, we are loaded at corner and that is a good thing. it will be interesting to see who comes out of fall camp as the two starters.

I don't know if I was watching the same game or the same Hoffschneider, but he couldn't cover anything IMO. He always looked lost, was turning in circles, and couldn't keep up with people. He was just plain bad. If he is our best corner or one of our starters, we are in trouble this year.

My impression of Hoff..... is somewhere in between. He made a lot of great plays but also really made a lot of mistakes - some that were quite costly. I think the kid has excellent potential and will be a great corner for us. In mhy opinion, he simply made a lot of rookie mistakes last year. Those will go away with experience and maturity.

I don't know if I was watching the same game or the same Hoffschneider, but he couldn't cover anything IMO.  He always looked lost, was turning in circles, and couldn't keep up with people.  He was just plain bad.  If he is our best corner or one of our starters, we are in trouble this year.

Most of the db's struggled at times last year, but Hoffschneider earned a starting position and had five picks as a freshman. That's not too bad considering the program he's in. Also, he was an all-state pick (all classes combined) in the state of Colorado, which isn't easy to do. I can see him making a similar jump in performance to what Danny Gagner did last season. Gagner went from playing a lot as a freshman to being a first team all-conference pick as a sophomore. I will be very surprised if there's a better secondary than UND's in the NCC this year.

I didn't say he was the best coverage man, he just seemed to make alot of big plays when the team needed them. A team needs a couple of those players out on he field too. It will be very interesting having so many capable corners,especially since 3 of them are so young. Depth is definitely something that we have not had in a long time at CB.

anyone who has any doubts about hoffschneiders play last year has to realize that he was a FRESHMAN. the younger guys are bound to make mistakes, and at corner those mistakes are always the most visible. every corner will get beat at some time. to have 5 picks as a freshman is impressive, i don't care how you get them. the more he plays the better he will get. hoffschneider is solid, and will only get better.

Hoffschnieder did get beat some last season, but in the "bring five" defensive system, he or the other corner are going to be left on an island to defend by themselves. If the pressure does not materialize, it is almost impossible to cover quality receivers one-on-one and for Hoffschneider to come up with 5 picks is pretty impressive in my book.