SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol Officially Named Head Coach

airmail

First of all.

When I left the oilfields of western No Dak in the mid 80's, I knew someday I would return and spend the rest of my days in my home state. Didn't happen. Fellow Dakotians. Stay put if you can. This one regrets leaving.

Now I live in central Nebraksa. The simularities between this situation and the UNL Huskers football coaching mess are pretty close.

Husker football to these people is equal to the feelings I and many of you have for Sioux hockey. They bleed Red here.

When coach Osborn retired to politics, there were no national search. He gave his endorsement to Solich, and that was that. Things were 'hunky-dorey'. After a few seasons and no National Championship, things started to turn for Solich. He lost half of the states boosters and fans(not me). They have an AD that is a complete idiot. To fire a coach after losing 3 games in one year? :0

I hope Hakstol has the AD's and the fans confidence enough to withstand a bad year or two. Things should be ok the next two or three, but then we'll be getting into 'non-Blais' players.

I have complete faith in DH. SHOW ME THE HARDWARE!!!

ps: When Osborn was hired, many were calling for his head also. He didn't work out too bad after the storm settled. :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also resent the fact that some apparently feel that persons upset with the way the hiring was handled should be quiet and tow the company line. I respectfully disagree. It is one thing to support our new coach, which we will do. It is quite another to criticize UND and Roger Thomas for the way this was handled. UND and RT should know that many fans, boosters and alumni are not happy with the way this was handled so that it does not happen again, and, if the coach is not successful, they will be held accountable.

Great Point, i've been trying to say that for a few days, but you definitely echoed my sentiments exactly.

While I strongly agree with skateshattrick, I do believe that RT was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Blais's sudden departure came as a shock to everyone - including Hakstol, the players and RT. By this time, it was getting to a point in the summer that you do not want to be without a head coach. An internal search took only days, while a national search would have taken over a month. RT had to know that his decision would look hasty, but the consequences of waiting another 40 days to name a coach could have been worse. I do not by any means agree 100% with the way the search was handled, but I can understand why it happened the way it did.

That being said, I wish Blais and Hakstol the best of luck with their new jobs. On the subject of the Hakstol pressure, how is that any different than the standards that any other UND coach or player is held to? UND hockey is excellence, that is what everyone expects out of them, and it is what they expect out of themselves. Hakstol knows this and he will not let down. Go Sioux.

I do believe that RT was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I disagree. Hakstol could have been immediately named the interim coach for the '04-'05 season. It's not like Hakstol wouldn't have worked just as hard as an interim, vs. being the head coach. He could of had it both ways.

Hakstol could have been immediately named the interim coach for the '04-'05 season. It's not like Hakstol wouldn't have worked just as hard as an interim, vs. being the head coach. He could of had it both ways.

I disagree. From a recruiting standpoint, if I'm Hakstol and I'm sitting across the kitchen table from a kid and his parents, I don't want the interim tag. It's fosters uncertainty, and could be a red flag that would be exploited by competing coaches.

I disagree. From a recruiting standpoint, if I'm Hakstol and I'm sitting across the kitchen table from a kid and his parents, I don't want the interim tag. It's fosters uncertainty, and could be a red flag that would be exploited by competing coaches.

UND already has seven players signed for '05. There may be a borderline case for an '06 recruit that may have been a deciding factor, but to me that would have been worth the risk. Doesn't really matter now, Hakstol is the guy.

How about instead of everyone dealing in hypotheticals, we wait until April and base the decision on results and progress, not what-ifs?

This talk of "UND better win a national championship this season or else..." is absolutely assinine. Last season UND was bounced by then-lightly-regarded Denver, but did I hear for anyone calling for Coach Blais' head?

OF COURSE NOT.

That's because no less of an authority than Blais himself claims there is nothing harder in college athletics than winning a national title in hockey. Just ask Red Berenson, circa 1997. Or Dean Blais, circa 1998. And those two are coaching long after those seasons of "failure."

It makes me chuckle that a bunch of carpal-tunnels have already deemed the 2004-05 season a failure should it result in anything less than a national championship.

I'd like to hear from everyone exactly how many college hockey coaches they've hired in their day...

I'd like to hear from everyone exactly how many college hockey coaches they've hired in their day...

I'll have you know that I've coached teams all the way to the Stanley Cup numerous times while playing the EA Sports NHL games on my computer. :0