SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Hak!

Warthog

let jake , jpar and lammy battle it out for # 1 goalie. jake and jpar are proven. lammy is our future so to speak if he steps up. jake has done nothing but win at UND and he should get a fair crack at this year with jpar. ziggy may still push for a spot. we all know that it will be fun to watch it play out without blais's musical goalies or it may be the same as before. i guess we will see.. not to worried because we do have proven winners at goalie...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never know which brandt shows up; likes to be 2 down before he gets into it? Cost us Wis and mo; saved us and won wcha for us in Duluth. I'm not a fan of his but what'ya do? Put'm 3rd and let'm practice intensly or he doesn't get in.

It'd be interesting to see how Jake performs if he doesn't have his mind messed with the whole season too........have we forgotten?

It'd be interesting to see how Jake performs if he doesn't have his mind messed with the whole season too........have we forgotten?

I must have forgotten. Please fill me in.

Here's what I know about Jake Brandt. Without some of his clutch performances in key games last season, the Sioux probably wouldn't have won the WCHA. His career record at UND is 31-12-4, a .702 career winning percentage that today would rank him fourth among all-time Sioux goalies. His .901 save percentage would rank third and his 2.5 goals against average would rank second. He's tied for fifth in career shutouts and only needs one more to move into a tie for fourth place. Two more shutouts would move him into sole possession of second place.

Why so many people are eager to dump Jake in favor of unproven goalies is beyond me.

Here's what I know about Jake Brandt. Without some of his clutch performances in key games last season, the Sioux probably wouldn't have won the WCHA. His career record at UND is 31-12-4, a .702 career winning percentage that today would rank him fourth among all-time Sioux goalies. His .901 save percentage would rank third and his 2.5 goals against average would rank second. He's tied for fifth in career shutouts and only needs one more to move into a tie for fourth place. Two more shutouts would move him into sole possession of second place.

Why so many people are eager to dump Jake in favor of unproven goalies is beyond me.

Very well put. I was never a big Brandt fan until last year, but he proved me wrong. He was the best goalie for the Sioux all year, with only 2 bad games (at Wisconsin--not all his fault and the WCHA final 5 against Minnesota).

Having said that, Lamoreaux is very highly touted and is reputed to be the real deal. He will challenge both Jake and Jordan for playing time.

Your clouding the issue with facts PCM. Actually just for thought provoking thought. Toby K had one of the records for most periods/minutes in a career. Does that make him him one of the top players in UND history hardly.

Are you saying Brandt is as good as Belfore, Karl G, Casey, Jensen. Brandt is proably not fit to carry their jocks.

I'm all for competition between goalies. Next season, I hope that they constantly push each other for playing time. Blais, Brandt and Parise all agree that it worked very well for the Sioux last season.

If Brandt ends up being the odd man out, it's either because the other goalies are that much better or he's not playing up to his ability. But until that happens, Brandt should be considered an asset to the team, not a liability.

Actually just for thought provoking thought. Toby K had one of the records for most periods/minutes in a career. Does that make him him one of the top players in UND history hardly.

Among UND's all-time goalies, Toby Kvalevog is rated first in games played (121) and second in wins with 52. His .509 winning percentage ranks him 10th.

Obviously, he played a lot of games during his four-year career, but only won about half of them. I assume the reason he played so much was because until Aaron Schweitzer came along, the Sioux had nobody any better. Kvalevog's save percentage, win percentage, goals against average and shutout stats are nowhere near Brandt's.

Are you saying Brandt is as good as Belfore, Karl G, Casey, Jensen.  Brandt is proably not fit to carry their jocks.

I didn't say that. All I'm saying is that right now, Brandt is statistically among the best Sioux goalies ever. If he plays poorly next season, that status could disappear. But if he has another season similar to last season, his name will be in the UND record book in many categories right alongside the goalies you mentioned.

I'm all for competition between goalies. Next season, I hope that they constantly push each other for playing time. Blais, Brandt and Parise all agree that it worked very well for the Sioux last season.

If Brandt ends up being the odd man out, it's either because the other goalies are that much better or he's not playing up to his ability. But until that happens, Brandt should be considered an asset to the team, not a liability.

No offense PCM but Brandt has won one game that he shouldn't have in past three years of that I can remember. That is 40 plus games. And that one game was at Duluth last season. Brandt had his chance and he lost the big game the Excel center last season, he stunk horribly. It isn't any concidence that Jordan got the nod in the NCAA's. Any time your team scores 4 goales you should win, especially if the name on the front of the Jersey is UND. Over the past three season Brandt has played ho hum good enough to win. But not anything that I would consider to be great. Hence he is not fit to carry Karl G's jock...

That being said. Last season Brandt was above average at best. Personally as a UND fan I am ready to move on and see what Lammy and Jordan can do for us. However, some seem to think we owe Brandt something so-be it. If I would have been the coach, he would have been gone after the pull tab incident.

One option UND should consider is red-shirting Ziggy next season. Because If it came down to Brandt and Ziggy I would rather see Ziggy stay his next three years than have him cut to keep Brandt. Because if Lammy is the stud that everyone says he is, his time is now then and not the season after.

His .901 save percentage would rank third and his 2.5 goals against average would rank second.

Those are the two numbers that don't lie.

If Parise, Ziegelmann, Lamoureux, or Mike Prpich for that matter, wants to strap on the big pads and put up numbers better than those I'm all for it. They will have earned the job.

But there's the key: You earn the job.

If I am not mistaken, Adam Hauser is statistically among the best Gopher goaltenders of all time and we all know what a sieve he was. He usually choked in the big games and rarely stole a game for the Gophers (just like Brandt for the Sioux). Although I guess you could call the no call hack job in OT on the Maine player in the Forzen Four "stealing".

Apparently when it came to goaltending, Dean Blais didn't know what he was talking about.

"For six or seven of our wins, the difference in winning the WCHA this year has been Jordan and Jake. Our goaltenders won some big games for us. You count on them to do that."

"Last year we seemed to get 'out-goalied.' The goalies on the other team were beating us. That hasn't been the case this year. Our goaltenders have beaten the other teams' goaltenders, and that's why we've been number-one pretty much the whole year. It's because of Jordan and Jake."

"You can count of both of them to play well. I think there's a real good competition between them."

"You count on Zach Parise to make plays

Obviously every goalie's stats are enhanced by the defense corps in front of him. But this perception about Jake Brandt's shortcomings continually leave me scratching my head. It's not Jake Brandt's fault he arrived at UND the year following Karl Goehring's graduation.

The past two seasons, Jake Brandt has put up numbers that rival any goalie not named Goehring in the history of Sioux hockey. He has continually won big game after big game, and has often been our best player in big games that we didn't win (Final Five vs. UMD two years ago, for example). Yet all I ever seem to read about on this board is how Jake's spot is in jeopardy, or Jake is the inferior goalie on the team, blah blah blah blah.

From where I sit, Dean was not the biggest problem as far as our goalies' psyche. The biggest problem is lack-of-faith from the fans.

Mark my words: UND can win a national championship with Jake between the pipes. And let's not forget who Minnesota managed to win back-to-back titles with - Adam Hauser and Travis Weber.

'Nuff said.

Obviously every goalie's stats are enhanced by the defense corps in front of him. But this perception about Jake Brandt's shortcomings continually leave me scratching my head. It's not Jake Brandt's fault he arrived at UND the year following Karl Goehring's graduation.

The past two seasons, Jake Brandt has put up numbers that rival any goalie not named Goehring in the history of Sioux hockey. He has continually won big game after big game, and has often been our best player in big games that we didn't win (Final Five vs. UMD two years ago, for example). Yet all I ever seem to read about on this board is how Jake's spot is in jeopardy, or Jake is the inferior goalie on the team, blah blah blah blah.

From where I sit, Dean was not the biggest problem as far as our goalies' psyche. The biggest problem is lack-of-faith from the fans.

Mark my words: UND can win a national championship with Jake between the pipes. And let's not forget who Minnesota managed to win back-to-back titles with - Adam Hauser and Travis Weber.

'Nuff said.

I would rather go with the idea that the Sioux should win a title with Jpar or Lammy in net rather than they can win with Brandt.

Brandt is a flopper which will lead to him having the occasional huge game but will also lead to a lot of games where you leave shaking your head. JPar is by far the steadier, more consistent goalie regardless of what stats say.

Good points, Canuck. Karl Goehring had some pretty good defensemen and backchecking forwards playing in front of him, too, but nobody seems to begrudge him his place in the record book.

In fact, Karl joined the team at a time when the roster was loaded and primed for national championship runs. Brandt didn't have that luxury during his freshman year.