SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC Expansion

star2city

What are the plans for NCC expansion? When will the NCC announce

Minnesota-Duluth as a new member? Are they waiting for a decision by SDSU?

Before adding other Northern Sun schools, the NCC might consider Alaska-Anchorage and Alaska-Fairbanks for all sports (except football, which the Alaska schools don

I think it's a forgone conclusion that UMD will become a member of of the NCC, but I believe they will wait until it becomes apparent exactly where the NCC stands as far as membership (which is probably a wise decision on UMD's part). The other school that I feel will eventually become a member is Nebraska-Kearney. Both schools would make very good NCC members and adequate replacements for NDSU and UNC. The quality of football would obviously suffer in the short term, but men's basketball would probably be better!

As far as the Alaska schools go, I don't think it's a smart move for the NCC to add any schools that don't have teams in football. The major reason for expanding the conference back to 9 or 10 is football scheduling. It also seems that as soon as conferences admit schools that are only members in some sports, the entire stability of the league eventually comes into question.

Although some of the Wisconsin schools would fit the NCC profile, I would doubt any of their schools would ever become NCC members for a couple of reasons. I asked some Wisconsin guys on the D3football.com message board last spring about becoming D2, and they said it would never happen because of economics. There was some push for those schools to go D2 when they left the NAIA in the early 90s and the Wisconsin legislature said no. The other reason is that they already have the perfect conference setup- 10 schools all in the same state with longstanding rivalries- you can't get it much better than that in college sports. Even if the league went D2, I would doubt any one of those schools would be interested in leaving for the NCC.

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently, SDSU's Division I indecision has not deterred Minnesota-Duluth from joining the NCC. With UMD's geography and existing hockey rivalry, they may become our most intense conference rival.

Minnesota-Duluth Accepts NCC Invitation For Membership

Posted: 10/15/02 9:59

Sioux Falls, S.D.

It is interesting that the next rumored NCC candidate, Nebraska-Kearney, is hosting the CHA post-season tournament, even though it does not have a hockey team. CHA Tournament

You have to wonder if this is not some sort of trial run for UNK to determine if they sponsor Division I hockey in the CHA. The Tri-Cities of Kearney/Grand Island/Hastings have a USHL team that draws well. If this is the thinking, the NCC would be a natural for them, and not just because of Nebraska-Omaha.

In a little known fact, NDSU was supposed to play UM-Duluth in non-conference football this season.

That game was cancelled for some reason. I don't know the exact why. (Part of it I believe was UMD wanted a better "guarantee" for playing.)

That left NDSU with a ten game schedule (where most play eleven) and with one less home gate this season.

NDSU is currently 1 and 4.

UMD is 6-0, has been ranked in the top 25 all season, and has wins over MSU-Mankato and South Dakota.

The NDSU/MSU-Moorhead contract was voided by mutual agreement of both parties after that first (is there a word to describe that?).

The UMD game was a late summer cancellation by UMD. Like I said, I'd heard they wanted too much "guarantee" (spelled m-o-n-e-y).

Good article in the Fargo Forum about the NCC's plight. I personally think UMD is a great addition. However, if SDSU leaves, we're still only 7. Who else to add? Whoever it is will almost undoubtedly be a weaker team (of course, that would be a perfect replacement for this year's NDSU team :D

http://www.in-forum.com/columnists/article...ist=jeffkolpack

• 3 weeks later...

The next logical addition would be Winona State, at least in terms of quality of their current football and basketball programs. Their financial situation may not be suitable for such a move, however, unless the conference decides to lower football scholarships after NDSU, UNC, and maybe SDSU leave.