SiouxSports.com Forum

Mussman to Mankato?

star2city

What would be the impact on the Sioux offense this fall if he should leave?

More first half points, less bubble screens. :lol::sad:

If he leaves any time soon, it would be tough for the football program to find a qualified replacement in time for the upcoming season. Is there anyone on staff that is qualified to step in, even if only as an interim OC?

From the standpoint of an MSU fan, Coach Mussman would definitely be a top candidate to replace Holley. I personally felt he should have been hired two years ago, being he was already familiar with MSU and the NCC, whereas Coach Holley knew little about the region or the league, which I am sure made recruiting a difficult process. It will be a real challenge for whomever is selected (interim coach?) to try and piece things together with less than three months before the first game.

Just thoughts and questions aloud:

- Would MSU-Mankato just name an interim head coach for this season from Holley's staff? New coaches like to bring their system and people in. It is pretty late to be doing that.

- Did Holley leave for purely personal reasons or is there more going on at Mankato? They have made noise recently about budget problems, Title IX problems, and cutting programs.

Losing Mussman would really hurt UND for this year because a) he's a very good OLine coach and there will be some inexperienced players there and b) the team has already been through spring ball so they would have to get used to a new coordinator/new system in a short period of time this fall. I posted earlier when Schweigert left that losing Mussman would hurt the team more in the short term and that would especially be the case now when the season is just 2 1/2 months away.

- Would MSU-Mankato just name an interim head coach for this season from Holley's staff? New coaches like to bring their system and people in. It is pretty late to be doing that.

- Did Holley leave for purely personal reasons or is there more going on at Mankato? They have made noise recently about budget problems, Title IX problems, and cutting programs.

To answer your first question, I don't think Mankato will bring in an interim coach because it sets them back another year recruiting. Even though it's late, it's a good enough job to attract some quality candidates.

I think Holley left because he was doing a bad job more than anything else and he could probably see that he was on a sinking ship. He didn't have alot of success recruiting this area and wasn't very well liked.

The Mankato paper is reporting today that they're bringing in a coach from Southern Mississippi to interview so we'll see what happens.

According to the WDAZ sports tonight, Chris Mussman will not be pursuing the Mankato job. Apparently there was some discussion between the parties, but it appears that Mussman didn't feel that this was the right job for him, at least at this time. I don't doubt that he'll be moving on within the next few years, but this is good news for UND since obviously it would have been very difficult to bring in a new o.c. just a few months prior to the start of the season.

no spell check at Mankato i guess... ;) ...glad to hear coach Muss is going to stay....he has done good things here at UND and who knows what would happen at Mankato...if he wasnt able to turn it around who knows if he could have propelled to the next level...he will definitely get a chance to be a head coach just takes time....look how long coach Bubba waited......but he found the right opporunity and took it...good for UND....