SiouxSports.com Forum

What Gophers are leaving?

db1869

Not sure why people here don't see Ballard as a physical player. He has a VERY SOLID frame and uses it when he wants to. He may not be a grinder, but that's not his style of play. Someone also compared him to Roche and Crowley. To me that's an awkward comparison because Ballard is better offensively than Roche and he is much stronger than Crowley...he's also probably a little faster than both? I think he needs to work on decision making in the defensive zone, but there is nobody better in college hockey on the power play. Also, he's no slouch in moving the puck up the ice...and that first pass is critical.

As for Vanek leaving to play with Buffalo this season, I would venture to guess that depends on their plans for him next year. I don't see much point in signing him if they go in as an #8 seed, since their playoff lives will be short lived anyway. If they want him on the roster starting next fall, then yes, why not sign him now.

Not sure why people here don't see Ballard as a physical player. He has a VERY SOLID frame and uses it when he wants to. He may not be a grinder, but that's not his style of play. Someone also compared him to Roche and Crowley. To me that's an awkward comparison because Ballard is better offensively than Roche and he is much stronger than Crowley...he's also probably a little faster than both? I think he needs to work on decision making in the defensive zone, but there is nobody better in college hockey on the power play. Also, he's no slouch in moving the puck up the ice...and that first pass is critical.

As for Vanek leaving to play with Buffalo this season, I would venture to guess that depends on their plans for him next year. I don't see much point in signing him if they go in as an #8 seed, since their playoff lives will be short lived anyway. If they want him on the roster starting next fall, then yes, why not sign him now.

I agree that Ballard is a great d-man to have on the point for the Power play, and he makes the outet passes very well. Ballard might be better offensively now than Roche was when he left, but Roche left after his sophomore season, and I would say when Ballard was a soph that he wasn't any better than Roche was at that time. Personally I think Roche was a little better defensively, but thats my opinion.

Ballard, however, is not by any means a "phsyical d-man". You want to see phsyical D-men, look at Smaby, Greene, Taylor, or even Bina. I would compare Ballards style of play more to Nick Fuher's (although Ballard is quite obviously more talented). Ballard will make it to the NHL, but not yet. I don't see him making the transition straight to the NHL, because he needs to become more solid defensively, and needs to become more phsyical before he can be a regular in the lineup. Give him a year or two to develop in the AHL and he will be a great asset to the Coyotes (if they keep him around).

Please take off your maroon and gold colored glasses for a second. Ballard is not, and has never been, better offensively than Roche. Roche scored 49 points his sophomore year with a team that asks its defenseman to not pinch. Ballard had 36 points his sophomore year. Even this year, Ballard had 41, which is less. Ballard also is not nearly as good defensively. I asked Dave Hakstol last year whether the Sioux were going to get an offensive defenseman like Roche, Leopold or Ballard, and he almost bit my head off, stating "Ballard is not in the same class as Leopold and Roche."

Finally, people do not see Ballard as physical because he is not. You cannot equate stick work and cheap play with physical play.

I made the initial comparison between Ballard with Roche, Crowley and Murphy. I stand by it. The only thing Ballard has on those guys is about 15lbs, if you believe the current heights and weights provided by the Gophs.

I'm a huge fan of Ballard, but I truly only think he has around a 25% chance of playing in the NHL. His defensive play has not dramatically improved as I hoped it would this season. Maybe next year. ;)

Also, if guys like the above would have a place in the NHL, the game would be a lot more entertaining.

I made the initial comparison between Ballard with Roche, Crowley and Murphy. I stand by it. The only thing Ballard has on those guys is about 15lbs, if you believe the current heights and weights provided by the Gophs.

I'm a huge fan of Ballard, but I truly only think he has around a 25% chance of playing in the NHL. His defensive play has not dramatically improved as I hoped it would this season. Maybe next year. ;)

Also, if guys like the above would have a place in the NHL, the game would be a lot more entertaining.

Ah, I disagree with you, sagard. Actually I shouldn't have to, being that you are a Gopher fan. Unlike Roche (who left too early), Ballard is a smarter defenseman and has some assets that make him a valued commodity.

I say he has a 75 percent chance of playing in the NHL his rookiee season. 100 percent chance within 3 years of signing.

I was the one stating that Ballard won't play on an NHL PP. The only way he would is if the team uses two dmen. Ballard is too offensive minded on the PP and will consistently get beat by an NHL forward going for a shorty. The one d man system needs to have a solid guy back there. Most teams put a forward on the blue line to "run" the PP. Just my opinion.

Maybe he will get a shot with Phoenix, though. I don't think Phoenix is known for their d men.

I think Ballard will play, and play well in the NHL. Watching him late in the season, and into the Final Five, he was one of two Gopher players who I feared every time they touched the puck, the other being Riddle. Ballard is an offensive threat anytime he's on the ice; he plays hard all the time. Sometimes he doesn't play smart, but he has the skill set and the mentality to be a significant addition to Phoenix or most any other NHL team.

What would the Sioux have been like with him playing the point on the power play? Pretty awesome, I think.

Ah, I disagree with you, sagard.

Your probably right, it seems everyone else shares your opinion. I'm just spoiled from watching Leo and Martin. Those two guys were just as good without the puck as they were with it, and I just don't feel that way with Ballard.