SiouxSports.com Forum

MJ's brother

schmidtdoggydog

NTDP Player of the Week - Zach Jones

The National Team Development Program consists of two national teams -- an Under-18 and an Under-17 team -- the goal of which is to prepare student-athletes under the age of 18 for participation on U.S. National Teams and for future hockey careers. Each week, USAHockey.com will highlight a player or two from the National Team Development Program's player pool.

Name: Zach Jones

Height: 5' 10"

Weight: 175 pounds

Position: Defense

Years playing hockey: 14 years

Hometown: Lisle, Ill.

Brief description of hometown: Small town, not a whole lot to do but play hockey

Best aspect of your game: Strength and being physical in the corners

Best aspect of the NTDP: The exposure to hockey people all over the world

Superstition: Knock on wood

Prefer home uniforms or road uniforms: Home uniforms

Stick/blade: Stiff shaft

Skates: Graf 709s

Hockey tip of the week: Pass with a purpose

Finish the following sentences ...

The thing I miss most about my family and/or hometown is

Matt told me his brother was planning on playing for UND, if given the chance. I know Zach is a very physical and good defenseman. Not as big as some of the guys we have now but he possesses the same qualities. He played for the Chill like Matt and growing up alongside him, I am sure he plays fairly similarily to his brother. If the Sioux do pursue him and he joins after high school, he'll be here for the 2005-2006 season.

We had the opportunity to watch Zach play in the Windy City Showcase back in January. He is a very skilled defenseman and Matt has said that Zach is better than he was at a similar age. So that says a lot, unless Matt is being a nice older brother, which wouldn't surprise me because Matt is one my all-time favorite Sioux players. Not only in terms of hockey skills, but he is a terrific young man also. I saw Zach was at the Final Five in St. Paul, so he had a chance to see what kind of following the Sioux Hockey Team has on the road. Hopefully he was impressed.

Probably the most impressive player on the USNDT I saw was Jack Johnson. I believe he is going to Michigan. This guy should be an instant star.

Another player I thought would stand out was Ryan Stoa. But in the three games I saw he did not look very good. He's a big kid and maybe it will take some time for him. There was another kid who is committed to the Gophers that looked good. I can't remember his name right now, but I think he was only a 10th grader.

Another player I thought would stand out was Ryan Stoa. But in the three games I saw he did not look very good. He's a big kid and maybe it will take some time for him. There was another kid who is committed to the Gophers that looked good. I can't remember his name right now, but I think he was only a 10th grader.

Peter Mueller?

Interesting thought - with ZP leaving, next season their will be no brothers on the Sioux. When was the last time this happened? Without looking anything up I go back to the Hoogsteens.

I saw the U17 team play, but Zach Jones wasn't playing, he wasn't even listed on the roster. Not sure if he was hurt or joined the team late.

I have a better (well, not really) one than "brothers" on the roster.

For the first time since April of 1997, the UND mens hockey roster does not have someone on it who owns a National Championship ring.

Remember, this season's roster included one (because of his medical hardship year): Ryan Hale.

Think about it: Peter Armbrust got one in April of 1997 and was there until April of 2000 when he got a second and then-freshman Ryan Hale got his. With Ryan no longer eligible and on the roster, the string ends. ;)

Note to current team:

Look at Ryan's before he goes. They are really nice. Go earn yours.

I saw the U17 team play, but Zach Jones wasn't playing, he wasn't even listed on the roster. Not sure if he was hurt or joined the team late.

Zach Jones is currently playing on the U18 team. He was moved up earlier this year.