SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise's Rank

Marty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another question: With Parise gone, will Brandon Bochenski be remembered as one of the all-time greats in Sioux history? If he stays and nobody else leaves, he'll be in position to do that.

He's already tied for 19th in all-time scoring. Another 60-point season would put him in the top five.

To gain entrance to the list of Sioux greats, you have to have been part of winning it all (IMO). Lots of names from the 79-83 teams, as well as 97-2001. Can't speak for the earlier teams, since I wasn't around then.

I put Parise right behind the great Wes Dorey and Jeff Yurecko, but a notch above Tom Philion

I know that you're trying to be funny, but Wes Dorey was actually a pretty good player, although he never fully lived up to expectations. If you knew the full story on Wes, you wouldn't make jokes about him.

I know that you're trying to be funny, but Wes Dorey was actually a pretty good player, although he never fully lived up to expectations. If you knew the full story on Wes, you wouldn't make jokes about him.

Lighten up, Francais.

Where does Justin Duberman rank on the list?

He was tied for 58th at the start of the season with 105 points. I assume that he's moved down because Bochenski, Parise and Lundbohm all moved up on the list.

That pic and Spehar reference made me laugh out loud. My boss came into my office wondering what was so funny. Nice going, PCM.

Where does Justin Duberman rank on the list?

Speaking of great guys....Russ Romaniuk....low key...down to earth...I had about 10 classes with him.....and what a scoring machine. Didn't he notch 40 goals one year?

Romaniuk, Bobyck, Herter, Hakstol...they had such promise on the 1988-1989 team. I enjoyed watching Brent Bobyck glide on the ice back then. What an awesome player he was.

Throw in the phenom season T. Couture had in net one year (was it 91?). Back in the day...good times. Romaniuk used to drive this early 70's puke green chevy impala around campus..What a bomber.

Tony Couture. Yea, he had an awesome run going there. They made the NCAA's in 1989-90, spanked BU in the first game of their three-game tilt, then BU slopped up the ice to slow down the Sioux and they won the next two games to advance in the tournament. It was all downhill after that...

IMO, Parise is behind many players in terms of where he will rank as a COLLEGE player, such as Taylor, Smail, T. Murray, Sykes, Patrick, Hrkac, Joyce, S. Johnson, G. Johnson, Blake, Panzer, Goehring, among others.

That is a list of great players, but if the true measure of greatness is national championships, which appears to be the sentiment of many on this board, then why is Greg Johnson included on the list? (note: I was friends with Greg in college and I am not bagging on him because he is a good guy and a great hockey player).

GJ never won a national championship. In fact, during his four years in GF, UND didn't win a league championship or a WCHA playoff championship. And to top it off UND went 29-46-2 his last two seasons - definitely not a record associated with greatness. So, the question remains, why is he on the list?

Is it because:

he played four years at UND

he is the all-time leading scorer in UND's history

he is the all-time WCHA leader in assists

he represented Canada at the World Juniors

he played with at least ten other guys that went on to play in the NHL

he was a three-time Hobey Baker finalist

he was a three-time All-American

he succeeded despite the horrible teams he was on his jr. and sr. years

he is still playing in the NHL and doing quite well

Because if these are the reasons he is on the list, then I understand. But, if greatness is measured by championships then he belongs nowhere near the list. In fact, Parise's MacNaughton would put him above GJ on the list.

If greatness is measured by championships, then simple logic would dictate that the 13 or so players that have won TWO national championships while at UND would be at the top of the list of great players. But, despite what Brad Defauw, Peter Armbrust, Tim O'Connell, Jason Ulmer and their two championships, as an example, meant to the program, nobody would say that they are the greatest players in UND's history.

If the true measure of greatness is all-around hockey ability, hockey sense, hockey instincts, hockey vision, combined with the notoriety that a player brings to themself and the program during their tenure at UND and the years after, then Zach Parise, in my opinion, takes a backseat to no one.

End of rant.