SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts on the Schedule

jk

I really disliked last year's schedule, and this one is nearly as bad, I think.

The non-conference schedule is the worst in recent memory, which should be good for the win-loss record, but will be a real anchor dragging the team down in the RPI. Plus it won't do much to get the team ready for the rigors of the WCHA season. I'm not worried about it affecting the team's preparation for the postseason, as the non-conference games are all done in 2002. The wicked WCHA stretch in 2003 will do plenty to get the team ready for the postseason.

As for the conference schedule, it once again is heavily home early/ away late. UND plays five consecutive conference home series, followed by six of eight on the road (including five of six) to close the season. If the Sioux stumble out of the blocks in those early home series, they may be toast because wins could well be tougher to come by later.

The good news is the Sioux only see Minnesota and Denver for one series each. Unfortunately they're both on the road.

My hopes/predictions:

Buffalo tourney: They had better pound Canisius. I'd like to see a win against a still very good Michigan team to announce the Sioux's arrival.

Manitoba: Whatever

Niagara: See Canisius above. Genoway makes his debut on Saturday.

at Yale/Princeton: These ECAC teams can play better than people think. For instance, last year St. Lawrence had a terrible conference year, but they still played UND very tough. The Sioux will probably have the advantage of having played more games at that point.

at SCSU: Even though SCSU should be good, and this will be before the Husky Swoon, payback should start this weekend, with at least a split.

AA: More payback.

Wisconsin: We get to see a bunch of freshmen skating around REA. Anybody remember what that looks like? Kabby and Bruckler combine to see 100 shots.

Mankato: More payback.

SCSU: Welcome to the new REA, SCSU. Hopefully, you'll leave wishing you could have seen it last year instead.

Canisius: See Niagara.

Brown/BSU/Manitoba: See Canisius.

CC: With all the road series coming up, the Sioux need to gather points in this home series.

at MN: A headliner series to see where the Sioux really are. Will they start to even out that ugly 1-6 record from last year?

at AA: A travel nightmare. Points would be nice.

at CC: The rough road continues. Who knows at this point?

MTU: Home at last. Thank God almighty we're home at last. And getting well.

at Denver: Now we're big too. The bodies should be flying.

at Mankato: More payback, please.

Duluth: It should be interesting to see where UMD is at this point. TJ Caig should be up-to-speed by that point as well. The Sioux will need the points.

at Wisconsin: The youngsters should be coming of age, the fans will be happy to see UND, and the Sioux will need points as they jockey for playoff positioning.

I rationalize it this way, although I think it generally stinks as well.

The Sioux have the first half the season to get themselves sorted out. As jk says, if they don't get it together by mid-season, we have last year on our hands again. It's that simple.

However, if they use the friendly confines of REA to build their game and solidify as a team, they may be that much better prepared and experienced to head out on the road for tougher series.

I believe we will split in Mariucci this year. I still think MN is going to be dominant, but my heart says the Sioux will be even more competitive than last year. We played them tough all last year except for one game.

Next year the Sioux don't need to win the NCAA's, but they dang well better beat the teams they should beat: 80% of the non-conference games or better, 70% against Tech, AA, Mankato, Duluth, WI, and close to 50% against the rest will do alright.

That'll be about 27-28 wins.

I think the 3-week stretch @MN, @AA, @CC will be the toughest stretch of the season. Hopefully the Sioux can get 3 wins out of these 6 games. Also, playing an experienced St. Cloud team so early in the year on the road will be a really tough series for a still relatively young Sioux team. A split would be great, but I will be satisfied with any improvement over last year's series at St. Cloud.

I look for a season sweep over Mankato as revenge for what IMO was the lowest point of last season (the home series against Mankato).

I agree about the Mankato season sweep as a hopeful occurance. The 0-6 loss last season was one of the lowest points since Blais took the helm. A total meltdown.

This team, IMO, is worth believing in. The schedule early-on should help them build confidence and chemistry between players. Then, when the difficult stretch comes along, the PWR will take care of itself if UND can get some W's.

Aside from the pasty NC schedule, what really irritates me is that we only play Minnesota twice next season. I could care less about this "natural rivals" crap Lucia came up with by lining us up with SCCC. The Minnesota, Wisconsin and UND rivalries are the most popular and profitable of the bunch, possibly in the top 5 or so in the nation too if you really want to slice numbers. We have the biggest barns in the league, and with profit sharing across the conference two-series a season between these three teams would generate more money and excitement than some series with the mutts. Hopefully, Blais drags Lucia into the corner sometime and "explains" it to him as he's a Minnesota alum, and Lucia went to the "other" ND. ;)

We have the biggest barns in the league, and with profit sharing across the conference two-series a season between these three teams would generate more money and excitement than some series with the mutts.

Scott or other please explain the profit sharing. If we are sharing profits with other teams like Major league Baseball I don't like it. I don't think UND should have to share profits with teams that can't compete on their own with out cutting into other teams bottom line...

Goon, the WCHA schools put some of their hockey revenues in a pot and then divvy it up. I think the formula is an even split, without regard to the size or contributions. Tourney revenues are split among the schools too, so they tend to be at bigger venues. I doubt the regular contributions hit the bottom line very much, but they probably help subsidize smaller, less profitable program, as well as pay for the conference, tourneys, etc. Most athletic conferences seem to have some type of revenue sharing, so we're not alone.

Goon, the WCHA schools put some of their hockey revenues in a pot and then divvy it up. I think the formula is an even split, without regard to the size or contributions. Tourney revenues are split among the schools too, so they tend to be at bigger venues. I doubt the regular contributions hit the bottom line very much, but they probably help subsidize smaller, less profitable program, as well as pay for the conference, tourneys, etc. Most athletic conferences seem to have some type of revenue sharing, so we're not alone.

Scott,

Are we mostly talking about the revenues from the final five and the conference tourney? I had seen that the conference was going to vote on this but I never seen anything after this was brought after it was mentioned in the Star and Tribune.