SiouxSports.com Forum

New to board and Matt Jones

PHX Brad

Hello, My first post here. I am a Coyotes fan and will be following Matt Jones this year. After years of following Gophers Wyatt Smith, Erik Westrum, and Jeff Taffe, I know a little about the passion you have for UND and college hockey.

I've read most of the board and have a feel for what some of you think about Matt. What do you think he needs to do to get better and take his game to the next level?

Thanks for any comments

Welcome aboard. ;)

IMO, Matt needs to improve his offensive capabilities to be a real asset in the NHL. He's a fine defenseman, but not an "enforcer" like Commodore, so he needs to work on moving the puck and taking the shots when he can. (Andy Schneider had more points than Matt last season, and more PIM too.) I see Matt with a great opportunity to QB the PP and perhaps develop into more of an offensive threat, sort of like Roche or Murphy from days back. I think Matt has great potential to do well at the college and the pro levels, and I'd bet this season will start to show it. ;)

I've only seen Matt play in person 3-4 times, at Mariucci, so maybe one of the guys who has seasons to REA could provide a different perspective. He seemed to have a very strong skating style. Pretty quick in the first step too. (Personally, Red Line Report tends to miss the mark on a number of players IMO, but CSB tends to be more on the mark.) Jones isn't afraid to help in a rush down ice, but he seemed content to pass/clear the puck to a forward rather than make the play himself. As I noted, I'd like to see Matt develop a greater offensive dimension for his game. I think it would increase his usefulness to the 'Yotes in the long run, and the Sioux in the short run. Matt's defensive skills are sound, and he plays intelligently--few real dumb penalties. ;) Not a thug, but he isn't afraid to get physical. He definitely has strong potential to develop into a tough, skilled NHL player. I'd expect him to be more polished on both ends of the ice this season.

I'd guess Greene's decision to join the Sioux may have been somewhat influenced by Jones' playing there. I think Greene will be much more the enforcer type of player. I'd expect the Sioux to bring a more physical aspect to their game this season with a healthy David Hale, a more experienced Schneider, Fuhr and Jones, as well as the additions of Greene, Lee Marvin and Mike (57 pts, 239 PIM) Prpich. ;)

You didn't see much of Jones on the offensive side of the offensive blueline until later in the year. I think that was cautious play on his part. You can't blame him. He was learning the college game.

When he did start to jump up into the rush later in the year he did it at smart times. You could see him pick his spots. He never hung his D partner out alone; there was always someone else back to cover.

One of his goals this year was a "jump up into the play" attack that even fooled the opposing defenseman. (I don't think they expected Matt to move up.) Jones showed soft hands in receiving a snap pass into the slot and a shot that gave the goaltender no chance.

He may be 6 feet tall and 200+ pounds, but don't forget that he only turns 19 later this week. That's still fairly young in hockey terms, especially for defensemen.

His skating? That's the least of the concerns. Actually, his skating covered more than one of his "errs of youth" last season.

Maybe it's the number on his back, but his size and composure always seem to give me flash-backs to another defenseman who wore 3 at UND. I don't think Matt will have the offensive upside that James Patrick had in the collegiate game, but I do think he'll provide the same fan confidence in the defensive end.

Anyone besides me feel pretty confident and excited about the prospect of this team this season I sure as heck do, we are going to have some killer d-Man back there on the blue line. I can't wait to see them laying people on the ice and into the boards. SMASH ;)

Goon,

I think it will be a great season! I think the Sioux will have a better season than last year. I have been to quite a few of their scrimmages this year, and it looks like a team that can pass and play well positioned hockey. If the defense can crash the boards and we have solid goaltending, I know the forwards will put the puck in the net. Let's hope for a consistent season.....a winning season! ;););)