SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice

UND Fan

This article on spring ball was in the Herald today. Erik Ahlstrom has been moved from tight end to the offensive line, which was probably a good move since he's already nearly big enough, and with Mielke, Kusler and Drew Thomas at tight end, there's still very good depth there. It's pretty impressive that Hermes broke Jim Kleinsasser's power clean record.

What is the deal with Bowenkamp?  He needs to sit out to keep his eligibility for next Fall? Is it grades he needs to concentrate on or did he red shirt too many times? I recall him only redshirting once. Anyone know?

I believe you get a maximum of 10 semesters in which to use your four years of eligibility. Bowenkamp has already used a total of 9 (including a red-shirt year AND a medical red-shirt year), so he must sit out spring ball this year in order to maintain his eligibility for next fall.

Why are the players so small, even on the official roster? I know most of the LB's and Hallstenson is over 240, Ullsperger is 240, Digger is 235 and nordick is over 230!! Do we want people to think were a small team or do we just leave the guys freshman weights on the rroster till they graduate? Just curious.

Why are the players so small, even on the official roster? I know most of the LB's and Hallstenson is over 240, Ullsperger is 240, Digger is 235 and nordick is over 230!! Do we want people to think were a small team or do we just leave the guys freshman weights on the rroster till they graduate? Just curious.

I'm afraid that whomever is responsible for compiling the official roster has really dropped the ball. Not only are the weights grossly inaccurate in many cases, but they never even bothered to change it when players left, i.e. Aaron Austin. Austin's and Franklin's names were promptly dropped from the basketball roster when they left (temporarily in Austin's case). Why the football roster isn't updated and corrected once in awhile, I have no idea.

How big do you really want your linebackers? Digger is only about 6-0 to 6-1, so i think that 235 is definitely a good playing weight for him. I don't think those weights are that far off. He puts on any more weight, and he's sacrificing the lateral movement that makes him so effective. I know Travis O'Neel played at 6-1 and between 235 and 240 lbs. and he was very effective at that weight, and still very fast too. I actually think it can be a psychological advantage when other teams look at the roster and think that they are playing someone physically inferior. Only then to have some UND player bring his lunchpail and hardhat to the game, and hand the opposing player their lunch on gamedays. I just think sometimes people take too much stock in that stuff sometimes. (roster numbers) just my opinion, however.

How big do you really want your linebackers? Digger is only about 6-0 to 6-1, so i think that 235 is definitely a good playing weight for him. I don't think those weights are that far off. He puts on any more weight, and he's sacrificing the lateral movement that makes him so effective. I know Travis O'Neel played at 6-1 and between 235 and 240 lbs. and he was very effective at that weight, and still very fast too. I actually think it can be a psychological advantage when other teams look at the roster and think that they are playing someone physically inferior. Only then to have some UND player bring his lunchpail and hardhat to the game, and hand the opposing player their lunch on gamedays. I just think sometimes people take too much stock in that stuff sometimes. (roster numbers) just my opinion, however.

While it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, what frustrates me is when players' weights aren't updated from their freshman year--even when that freshman year may have been 3 or 4 years ago. Some examples of erroneous information on last year's roster:

Hermes listed at 200

Gagner listed at 185

Anderson listed at 210

Maier listed at 210

Halstenson listed at 210

Nordick listed at 210

Kuper listed at 280

Duchscher listed at 237

Most of those weights are off from 15 to 30 pounds. I just think that a roster should contain relatively accurate information.

While it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, what frustrates me is when players' weights aren't updated from their freshman year--even when that freshman year may have been 3 or 4 years ago. Some examples of erroneous information on last year's roster:

Hermes listed at 200

Gagner listed at 185

Anderson listed at 210

Maier listed at 210

Halstenson listed at 210

Nordick listed at 210

Kuper listed at 280

Duchscher listed at 237

Most of those weights are off from 15 to 30 pounds. I just think that a roster should contain relatively accurate information.

yeah, you are right, those weights are a little ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes...Ross is back ...and about 290...he is playing both nosegaurd and defensive end...I also hear that alex cadwell is looking great..Probably one of the few freshman to see time defensively..I did see the scrimmage saturday..Robbie Meek and Michael Greenwood definately stood out.. Both had interceptions...Defense just looked dominant...

As far as injuries go...I saw Brett Svidal, Josh Guenther, Zach Babington-JOhnson, Dwane Wenzel all not participating in the scrimmage..I assume they were hurt..ANyone have info if anything serious...or if they will be in the spring game...

Yes...Ross is back ...and about 290...he is playing both nosegaurd and defensive end...I also hear that alex cadwell is looking great..Probably one of the few freshman to see time defensively..I did see the scrimmage saturday..Robbie Meek and Michael Greenwood definately stood out.. Both had interceptions...Defense just looked dominant...

As far as injuries go...I saw Brett Svidal, Josh Guenther, Zach Babington-JOhnson, Dwane Wenzel all not participating in the scrimmage..I assume they were hurt..ANyone have info if anything serious...or if they will be in the spring game...

I am going to make an early season prediction here. The Sioux will be back in the National Championship game.......and will win it this time. They are going to have a nasty, nasty defense, as usual! And with most of the offense back......look out!

Does anyone knwo if Reza will be back? I heard he was still on the track team. That would be awesome as well.

GO SIOUX!