SiouxSports.com Forum

Article on Spirko

CoteauRinkRat

You mean like when he tried to paint Parise as a goalie runner? I'm sure all Sioux fans appreciated that as much as his "phantom assists" in Grand Forks comments. :lol:

PCM-

I actually thought Woog and (gasp) Frank did a good job not being a complete Gopher homers on Saturday. Woog couldn't stop talking about how Bochenski undressed Ballard. One of my fovorite coments that Woog made was, I belive in the 2nd period, when he said that if he was to be reincarnated he'd want to play with either Praise or Ballard. Pretty high praise from a guy who has seen a lot of talent.

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but I like listening to Woog. He may be a homer (they sign his paychecks still), but he knows more about hockey than this entire board put togther. Unless, of course, we have some lurkers out there who think these board are "almost" a waste of time. ;)

I actually thought Woog and (gasp) Frank did a good job not being a complete Gopher homers on Saturday. Woog couldn't stop talking about how Bochenski undressed Ballard. One of my fovorite coments that Woog made was, I belive in the 2nd period, when he said that if he was to be reincarnated he'd want to play with either Praise or Ballard. Pretty high praise from a guy who has seen a lot of talent.

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but I like listening to Woog. He may be a homer (they sign his paychecks still), but he knows more about hockey than this entire board put togther. Unless, of course, we have some lurkers out there who think these board are "almost" a waste of time. :lol:

Have you gone mad? Doug was the coach of the evil empire, the Dirty Gophers. Yikes...

As long as you remember he is some of the reason there is some bad blood between UND and UofM. Dougs teams were famous hitting after the wistle and the face rubs. Incidently Watching the Yotes playing this past week I noticed that Jeff after the Wistle Taffe still does the same stuff in the pros that he did in college. Jeff learned these tactics from Woog.

Goon-

Three deep breaths. I did and still despise Doug Woog as a coach. Although, I wish he were still there. The Gophers would still be stuck on 3 championships.

That said I still like him as an anouncer. He's a complete screwball, but a knowledgable one. Rip me apart if you wish, but I'm sticking to my guns. :lol:

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but I like listening to Woog.

I said in another thread that I thought Frank and Doug did a pretty good job this weekend, other than the constant fawning over Ballard and the swipes at Parise.

Woog obviously has great knowledge of the game and I have commended him for that in the past. He also pokes fun at himself and is sometimes unintentionally funny. That makes him enjoyable to listen to.

Doug Woog does not know the rules of college hockey, that is why he always had his shoulders shrugged when he was coaching. Classic example of this is when he lost a bet to Mazzocco on what constituted offsides. Woog blurts out so many misstatements, that it is hard to keep track. Just the fact that he doesn't give UND defensemen credit because they are not "offensive enough" is a joke. Maybe he should realize that plus/minus is where it is at.

Hey - It would'nt be hard to skate better than Vanek. I know he scores goals, but I swear, he's one lazy hockey player. Plays his position, floats around (not breaking a sweat while everyone else is working thier ass off) and waits for the puck to come to him. At the Final 5 I yelled at him several times - "Vanek move your feet!", but he did'nt really seem to take note. I also noticed that he had a hard time making it over the boards to get back on the bench. I think that wherever he goes in the pros the coach is going to have to lay some serious woop-ass on him to get him going. Looking forward to seeing the new guy in the Herald article. He seems like a go getter and that he'll also be someone who will keep team moral up too. "Always smiling" is a good thing. Should be fun to watch! :lol:

I noticed the EXACT same things about Vanek at the final five, particularly the party about him sulking back to the bench and just floating around the ice. He is by far the laziest player (on the ice) I have ever seen play at the University of Minnesota.

On a side note, I'm excited to see Spriko play, and I'm glad that Blais is starting to pick up some smaller/faster type players such as Murray, Duncan, Spirko, etc. that he did so well with in the late 90's and '00. I've always been a fan of those types of teams, and given this years team's skating ability, and the incoming recruits, I can't imagine how well the Sioux will be flying on the transition in the next few years.

I'm one who loved the "speed kills" Sioux teams and died a little bit when they got beat in the regionals.

Blais decided he needed bigger more physical teams to compete and made me a believer. This Final Five was an example of that to me. Watching the skilled, but smaller UMD get beat by MN proved how important a larger, yet skilled team can be. The next night UND played much more physically against MN and basically played them even.

That said, I'm glad to find a few smaller, great skating, skilled forwards ala Murray, etc. As long as we can balance them out with some big physical players like Stafford, Zajac and others we should have a good mix.

Goon-

Three deep breaths. I did and still despise Doug Woog as a coach. Although, I wish he were still there. The Gophers would still be stuck on 3 championships.

That said I still like him as an anouncer. He's a complete screwball, but a knowledgable one. Rip me apart if you wish, but I'm sticking to my guns. :lol:

No your right I will take 5 deep breaths. Funny screwball probably is more like Wooger. I really liked the job Wooger did at the UofM wish you were still there Doug.