SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament Bracket

jimdahl

Already eliminated from your basketball office pool?

For amusement and pride... fill out a hockey bracket. This might prove a little more effective than posting large text-filled posts of predictions in threads to which no one will ever go back to notice your prescience.

Don't forget to save when done, and I promise to do interesting things with the data (leaderboard / consensus picks). Why do I expect a lot of UND wins from this crowd?

BTW -- I finished this mere seconds ago so it's not as well tested as projects which were less time-sensitive. Please report any problems.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think it would happen, but UNH actually is my pick from the East. ;)

They will get through Mich with help from Manchester ice. Then they will show why they have the record they do against BC in New Hampshire and take that game too by about 4-3. ;)

Maine will get through Bucky and Harvard without too much of a problem. Wisc will be tough, but I think Maine is a better team overall. Better everything. ;);)

Once UNH plays Maine, the goal scoring will become a must, and Maine won't have it. 3-1 UNH. ;)

UNH thinks it's ready for redemption on the Gophers...

I don't

5-2 UND in the Final. ;)

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ;)

No homerism so far ;) On the other hand, what self-respecting Sioux fan dares pick anyone other than the Sioux?

Consensus picks

Let's pin this, see if we can get a few more people to play along. Just don't tell the Gopher fans, or they might get confused and think the NCAA champ is actually determined by fan vote and try to stuff the ballot box. I'll throw together leaderboards once results start coming in.

So 2% think UND will lose to Holy Cross? I wonder which Gopher trolls picked that. ;)

The blank actually means that someone didn't make a pick for that game. Maybe I should figure out how to exclude blank picks from the tallies, since no one has yet dared take Holy Cross or Niagara.

BTW -- KRACH gives UND about a 95% chance of winning the game. Maybe I'll throw KRACH predictions into the bracket if I don't get stuck doing any real work this afternoon.

Excel guru...how do you get the drop down like that on a cell?  Let me know.

I'm certainly no Excel guru, but enabling the Forms toolbar under View -> Toolbars is probably a place to start. The combo box control seems to be able to take its choices from a cell range AND lets you link the selected value of the box to a cell, so that's probably the mechanism you'd use to have a combo box's options be dependent on another combo box's selection (such as is required in a tournament bracket).

Jim,

What am I supposed to put in the username/password part? I tried putting my username & password but nothing happens. First time I've played one of these. And what do I click, load or save?

First you have to fill out a bracket by selecting the team you think will win each game from the dropdown box (as you pick the teams you think will win the regional semifinal round, those winners become the choices for the later rounds).

Once you're done and want to save your picks, you enter your message board username/password and hit 'save'. Or, you can choose a new username/password and that will also work (as long as the username isn't already taken). Users with message board accounts have those names reserved so no one can go put in bad picks under the name 'PCM' and make Pat look bad.

Later, you can return to that page, enter you username/password and hit 'load'. That will retrieve the picks you previously saved. Very handy for last-minute changes or checking on your results.

Thx, Jim.

Couple of questions:

* Are you going to lock this thread Friday afternoon or some other time before the tourney starts to prevent people from changing their picks once the games have already been decided (in other words, what is the deadline for changing our brackets)?

* Is there any way to see how other members here voted?

Jim: I thought for the longest time that your avatar was that of a woman playing a flute; but I think now she's defending herself with a sword ;)

Yeah, I guess if the pic isn't familiar it could be a bit confusing. Here's a bigger one. If there's ever a flute in my avatar, be very afraid.

Yeah, I'll lock the picks sometime Friday, probably. At a minimum there will be a leaderboard that show who has the most picks correct (which could get really ugly if UND doesn't go all the way); I'll try to at least make it so you can view those people's picks.

A couple points:

The percentages don't tally because each box currently show the top 3 non-blank picks for each team. Some games have had more than 3 winners picked, and some games have been left unpicked in submitted brackets. I'll try to modify those to be percentages of non-blank picks.

Though this crowd is pretty much in agreement on the West bracket, there's quite a bit of variation in the other region finals:

49% Minnesota-Duluth

39% Minnesota

49% Boston College

26% New Hampshire

20% Michigan

62% Maine

26% Wisconsin

6% Ohio State

The homogeniety in the West bracket could just make WPOS look like a genius for picking Miami ;):

94% North Dakota

1% Miami