SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 SEEDS THAT WON'T WIN

SIOUXPERGREEN

I posted a massage a while ago saying that Maine could go all the way. WRONG!! I can see clearly now the NCAA tourney is here. Maine cannot score! Seriously!! Has anyone seen their last 4 games scores? 2-1, 3-2, 1-0, & 2-1! All one goal games, and against Merrimack and BU, come on, you gotta do better than that! I'm sorry if I led anyone to believe that they could win it all, they might not even make it to the Frozen Four. Wisconsin is in their bracket, NOTE: they have great goaltending too! AND they scored 4 goals once!! HA HA HA

Minnesota, Rolling now. Yikes, Right...Wrong they beat the Sioux in front of a home crowd at e the Exel Center. I was there and the Gophs had a big advantage in that way. On different turf they will not beat the Sioux, and furthermore in a best of three they could not win two. Credit them for winning a Grreat game last Sat, but they will probably lose to UND in the Frozen Four, so no Three peat at the Fleet (copyright, PA&DUBAY) for them.

Brandon where have you been? Thank you for comeing back to your goalscoring self last weekend!! That line was great all weekend and dominated most of the time. Parise was again the best player on the ice both games, so that hasn't changed any. Even without the Broadmoor trophy we are picking up speed coming into the NCAAs. A tweak here and there on Defense and no more wraparound goals and we're golden... Right to our 8th title!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a massage a while ago saying that Maine could go all the way. WRONG!! I can see clearly now the NCAA tourney is here. Maine cannot score! Seriously!! Has anyone seen their last 4 games scores? 2-1, 3-2, 1-0, & 2-1! All one goal games, and against Merrimack and BU, come on, you gotta do better than that! I'm sorry if I led anyone to believe that they could win it all, they might not even make it to the Frozen Four. Wisconsin is in their bracket, NOTE: they have great goaltending too! AND they scored 4 goals once!! HA HA HA

Minnesota, Rolling now. Yikes, Right...Wrong they beat the Sioux in front of a home crowd at e the Exel Center. I was there and the Gophs had a big advantage in that way. On different turf they will not beat the Sioux, and furthermore in a best of three they could not win two. Credit them for winning a Grreat game last Sat, but they will probably lose to UND in the Frozen Four, so no Three peat at the Fleet (copyright, PA&DUBAY) for them.

Brandon where have you been? Thank you for comeing back to your goalscoring self last weekend!! That line was great all weekend and dominated most of the time. Parise was again the best player on the ice both games, so that hasn't changed any. Even without the Broadmoor trophy we are picking up speed coming into the NCAAs. A tweak here and there on Defense and no more wraparound goals and we're golden... Right to our 8th title!!

Another myopic Sioux fan.

Don't discount the Golden Gophers simply because of Home Ice. They are clearly on a roll - a rematch of the WCHA Championship would not be a cakewalk for either team but there is one thing the Gophers do have that the current crop of Sioux do not - battle proven NCAA Championship Winning experience - they find a way to win so we'll see what happens!

Predictions are dangerous. I think that UMD, UND, and Minnesota are probably the 3 best teams in the nation right now. It's really too bad that UND and Minnesota couldn't meet in the final game (should both get there). The rematch of Saturday night for the National Championship would be epic. I won't count out any of the Number Ones. Hopefully, if we face UND again, my nerves won't be as shot as they were on Saturday night.

It seems like Minnesota really gets up for the tournament with Lucia at the helm. They beat a heckuva good Michigan team (thank you, Pauly Martin) in Buffalo and then UNH in the final with comparatively few biased Minnesota fans around.

This looks like UND's year, but you never know...one bad bounce and the season is over. ;)

What kind of Sioux fan are you? Seriously, why would you not want to play the Gophers again? I would kill for the Sioux to play the Gophers in the Frozen Four. It would be the highlight of my life. The Sioux need to beat the Gophers again if they want to win a national championship because you can't end a season tied with the Gophers. It just doesn't seem right.

Plus, where do you get the idea that Minnesota or Maine can't win their regions? Is this your first March? Anything team can win anything.

Agreed that I would lofe to see us play the Gophs in the FF, but the IDIOTS who make the brackets won't be happy until they give the east their chance to get in the championship game. Why would you have the two #1's from the east on one side and two #1's from the west on the other? It's stupid that UND and UM can't meet for the title, but the WCHA will win again whoever it is!! GO SIOUX!!!

Agreed that I would lofe to see us play the Gophs in the FF, but the IDIOTS who make the brackets won't be happy until they give the east their chance to get in the championship game. Why would you have the two #1's from the east on one side and two #1's from the west on the other? It's stupid that UND and UM can't meet for the title, but the WCHA will win again whoever it is!! GO SIOUX!!!

Because UND is #1 and UMN is #4. It's that simple. No conspiracy.

Because UND is #1 and UMN is #4. It's that simple. No conspiracy.

I am of the opinion that if MN was the overall #2, they still would have been placed in Grand Rapids, the MidWest Regional, and STILL have to play the winner of the West Regional, which could very well be the Sioux...

But that is just my opinion... ;)

They would have still been in Grand Rapids, but I don't think that means that West has to play Midwest. I believe placing a team in a specific region is based on geography among other factors, and what region plays another region is not predetermined until the #1s are assigned to their specific region.

I think the gophers are getting a little too much credit here. It wasn't all that long ago that they went to Denver and got handled pretty well. After that they got a very cold St. Cloud and beat them four games in a row, at home. Then they get to play "road" games at the Xcel center, in which they could have lost both of those games. I think it's a joke that UMD finishes second, barely, in the hardest conference, goes 4-1 against the gophers, and gets a #2 seed.

I think the gophers are getting a little too much credit here. It wasn't all that long ago that they went to Denver and got handled pretty well. After that they got a very cold St. Cloud and beat them four games in a row, at home. Then they get to play "road" games at the Xcel center, in which they could have lost both of those games. I think it's a joke that UMD finishes second, barely, in the hardest conference, goes 4-1 against the gophers, and gets a #2 seed.

Okay, that's your opinion...but then, why not give them the credit they deserve? Like the past two years, they appear to be getting hot when it counts the most. They did win the Broadmoor Trophy, despite having to play the two best teams in the WCHA...and though it was a home crowd, there were plenty of fans wearing green and white. Minnesota has shown its resiliency to play through injuries and win despite the loss of Paul Martin and Travis Weber. It also took the better part of a year for their young defensmen to come along as needed for a post-season run. I'm not saying they're going to win it all this year (UND looks like the team that just might get it done), but I give them a lot of credit for earning their spot...given their shaky start.

And, yes, they do deserve the Number 1 seed. They EARNED it under the rules of the system under which they play. If you don't like the rules, change the system...but that's another argument.

streakygopher = typicalgopher. I love how UM fans try to even remotely suggest that Xcel is a 50/50 venue for the Gophers. The noise was deafening in there Saturday night. Oh, by the way, real classy move by the WCHA to have the neutral announcers for every game EXCEPT the title game, which was announced by Minny's guy. Scott Hennen, the UND announcer, sat in front of me during the championship game. He was clearly steamed that they made sure he didn't do any Sioux games, then let Goldy's homer do the title game. Go back to 2001 and you almost see the smirk on Lucia's face when he tells reporters he expected Xcel to be 1/2 full of Maine fans for the title game. GIMME A BREAK!

Another note, streakygopher...credit because they're hot when it counts? If I remember right, UMD was the hottest team in the country last season, yet still managed to watch a St Cloud team go to the NCAA's on the basis of quality victories back in October. #5 seed in the conference gets a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament? Wow. I can hear Goldy fans whining already if Wisconsin had run the table and won the WCHA Final Five and gotten a #1 seed.

I've seen the question asked but not answered. If WI or MI or some other lower seed knocks off Maine or BC, do they reseed once they get to the Frozen Four or are the brackets set in stone. In other words, is there any possibility of a Sioux-Gopher final depending on the teams that reach the Frozen Four?

I, for one, want another shot at UM. That said, I will be cheering for UMD if the two meet in the regional final.

Wow, Maine's offense does suck... For the record they put up 7 on Holy Cross... ;)

Wouldn't it be fun to whoop the Gopher's in the semi's and Wisco (our greatest rival) in the finals? Now that would be some old time hockey...

TC...I'm not saying the Sioux are vastly superior in any way, shape, or form. Just saying the crowd, the announcer, the atmosphere...and yet we get to hear Lucia and co. claim "neutral" ice site? I live in the TC's, too, and I love the Final Five being at the X, but it certainly benefits the Gophers more than anyone else. I'd hardly consider it a miracle on ice when a #5 beats a #1 in front of 16,000 of its own fans. The place was jumpin' Saturday night.

Yes, and yes. Although I don't like trying to beat a team 6 times in a season.

There is no way I'd want to play Duluth again. I'd rather play the Gophers, who beat us the last 2 times, I think that gives us a slight advantage - hungrier players. Not that it matters because Notre Dame will beat both teams. ;)

Have to agree Mafiaman....Potulny said after the game that having the PA announcer from Mariucci Arena gave the team the extra jump in their legs they needed to beat a vastly superior team.

Man - you guys are freaking hilarious.

Now it's the PA that made the difference between your beloved Sioux Winning and Losing? What will it be next - the lights were too bright? ;)

As for giving the Gophers too much credit - it's hard to argue against the Pairwise. Head to Head record is only one indicator but I thought you guys would have known that by now.

And the Denver series found the Golden Gophers without two magnificent North Dakato born boys on the squad and Vanek due to injury.

Keep going with your inaccurate speculation; however, it's quite humorous.

I've seen the question asked but not answered. If WI or MI or some other lower seed knocks off Maine or BC, do they reseed once they get to the Frozen Four or are the brackets set in stone. In other words, is there any possibility of a Sioux-Gopher final depending on the teams that reach the Frozen Four?

I, for one, want another shot at UM. That said, I will be cheering for UMD if the two meet in the regional final.

Good question, I don't know the answer... PCM? Anyone else...? I know there are more knowledgeable people on these things than me around here...

I agree that this thread is kind of silly. Stop making excuses for the Sioux loss at the X, people. It makes us Sioux fans look bad.

And give credit where due. The goofs played a great game Saturday. That, coupled with some defensive mistakes, made the score what it was.

I'd love to see a rematch at the Frozen Four. How fun!

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize I said that the reason the Sioux lost on Saturday was specifically due to Scott Hennen not doing the PA. All I pointed out was that I asked him why he wasn't doing the title game and he said it was all decided without him having anything to do with it. My point is I am sick and tired of hearing about the "neutral-ice" site known as the Xcel Energy Center. I live in Bloomington and I love going to games there, so I'm not blasting it from that stand-point, but for Goldy fans to say "there were a lot of Sioux fans there too" just doesn't hold any water. It's a home game for the Gophers, period. I just find it humorous the number of benefits Minny gets...the 2 minute shoulda-been-5 penalty on Vanek's cheap-shot on Parise, Briggs getting MVP of the tournament with a .89 save percentage on the weekend, blah blah blah.

The bottom line was it was an awesome game and let's see what happens here on out. I'd love to watch a UMD/UM match-up. Minny better not overlook the 'Dogs on truly neutral ice.

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize I said that the reason the Sioux lost on Saturday was specifically due to Scott Hennen not doing the PA. All I pointed out was that I asked him why he wasn't doing the title game and he said it was all decided without him having anything to do with it. My point is I am sick and tired of hearing about the "neutral-ice" site known as the Xcel Energy Center. I live in Bloomington and I love going to games there, so I'm not blasting it from that stand-point, but for Goldy fans to say "there were a lot of Sioux fans there too" just doesn't hold any water. It's a home game for the Gophers, period. I just find it humorous the number of benefits Minny gets...the 2 minute shoulda-been-5 penalty on Vanek's cheap-shot on Parise, Briggs getting MVP of the tournament with a .89 save percentage on the weekend, blah blah blah.

The bottom line was it was an awesome game and let's see what happens here on out. I'd love to watch a UMD/UM match-up. Minny better not overlook the 'Dogs on truly neutral ice.

No reason to apologize MafiaMan. I see your point regarding Home Ice but in terms of other breaks I think it evened out fairly nicely. The Gophers were actually penalized more than the Sioux. Vanek definitely should have had five but we got our share of bad breaks also (the second Waibel goal would have stood in any other building during the regular season, the interference hit no call on Riddle, etc.)

Hopefully we can get a re-match in the semis along with a boatload of new excuses for whatever team doesn't win! ;)