SiouxSports.com Forum

TV Coverage of Regional Tourney

CoteauRinkRat

I know that this has been talked about and we are still a week away, but I'm curious to see what is going to happen next week with the hockey regionals on Victory Sports and their lack of access to most of the fans of college hockey. I heard PA and Dubay say this morning that they talked to an executive at Victory and he said there would be no way they would allow for the games to be picked up by Fox Sports Net.

What do you think Grand Forks/UND/TheRalph will do?

I heard on PA & Dubay this morning that the head guy for Victory said that there is "less than a zero percent chance it will be on major markets." Dubay said the only places able to get Victory are any Joe Senser's, KFAN Restaurant, and Canterbury Park. I'm to young to remember, but they said when MSC first came on that they had more problems that what Victory is having now.

My opinion on Victory is that it sounds like a great station. However, it is extremely frustrating that a person cannot watch this channel because television companies can't settle an agreement. They should have this stuff sorted out before they come on television.

My opinion on Victory is that it sounds like a great station. However, it is extremely frustrating that a person cannot watch this channel because television companies can't settle an agreement. They should have this stuff sorted out before they come on television.

Exactly. How does the NCAA award broadcast rights to a "network" that isn't even a network? :lol: One would think that having as many fans as possible being able to actually WATCH the games would be somewhat a priority. :angry:

Anyone know where we can go in Grand Forks to watch the games?

I think the NC$$ proves that they are all about the money when they do something like this. They made a deal with network that wasn't even on the air at the time, just so they could make more money. People be damned, as long as the NC$$ makes money. :angry:

Exactly. How does the NCAA award broadcast rights to a "network" that isn't even a network? :huh: One would think that having as many fans as possible being able to actually WATCH the games would be somewhat a priority. :silly:

VS1 IS a network. They are up and running. There are several places in the TC area that has VS1 (Senser's does, I think), but we might have to settle for the games on tape delay for the West regional (assumuing we are there) on MSG, Empire, or NESN. The Eastern games will be shown live (for the most part) on all 3 said channels.

If you get the Sports Package on DirecTV, or know somebody who does, you will be able to see most of the regionals on NESN, Empire Sports, and the MSG network. Here is the schedule I have:

Friday, March 26th

4:00 PM - East Regional Semifinal #1 (NESN)

7:30 PM - East Regional Semifinal #2 (NESN)

10:30 PM - West Regional Semifinal #2 (joined in progress) (NESN)

Saturday, March 27th

11:00 AM - Northeast Regional Semifinal #1 (MSG/Empire)

2:30 PM - Northeast Regional Semifinal #2 (MSG)

2:30 PM - Midwest Regional Semifinal #2 (Empire)

8:30 PM - East Regional Final (tape delay) (NESN/MSG/Empire)

8:30 PM - West Regional Final (joined in progress) (MSG)

Sunday, March 28th

2:00 AM - West Regional Final (tape delay) (Empire)

12:00 PM - Midwest Regional Final (NESN/MSG/Empire)

3:00 PM - Northeast Regional Final (NESN/MSG/Empire)

Monday, March 29th

2:00 PM - East Regional Final (tape delay) (Empire)

So the only two games we won't get to see on DirecTV are the Midwest Regional Semifinal #1 and the West Regional Semifinal #1. If the Sioux are going to be involved in one of these two games, I would think that WDAZ/WDAY will pick it up.

***Starts praying heavily that if UMD is in the Midwest that they play the 2nd semi (that will be on TV)***

VS1 IS a network. They are up and running. There are several places in the TC area that has VS1 (Senser's does, I think), but we might have to settle for the games on tape delay for the West regional (assumuing we are there) on MSG, Empire, or NESN. The Eastern games will be shown live (for the most part) on all 3 said channels.

To me, VS1 is nothing more than a local access cable channel, maybe minus the two high school geeks that thrash around with their guitars.

I would define a "network" as having more than a few locations around the TC, significantly more. Perhaps VS1 could call themselves an actual "network" when they get a deal worked out that will put VS1, at the very least, on cable television systems statewide.

I still say the NCAA was extremely foolish in awarding the bid to VS1. Maybe next time do a little investigating to see how many viewers will be reached instead of simply counting the zeroes after the dollar sign.

To me, VS1 is nothing more than a local access cable channel, maybe minus the two high school geeks that thrash around with their guitars.

You mean Wayne and Garth? :love::huh:

I still say the NCAA was extremely foolish in awarding the bid to VS1. Maybe next time do a little investigating to see how many viewers will be reached instead of simply counting the zeroes after the dollar sign.

I agree. The NC$$ could have thought about how much advertising would be sold when the games can actually be viewed on more than 4 TV's in one of the most college hockey fan rich areas in the country :silly: They just looked at the upfront money that VS1 offered them.