SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

Sioux fan since '90

No, it isn't. Do you think I wouldn't be there if I could be? I can't. And I can't see the game on TV, either, because of the stupid "Minnesota rule."

sorry to hear that PCM, don't I detect a bit of a hacking cough developing tho? Maybe some runny nose and fever? For those fans that it is impossible to make it tothe game it does totally suck and I agree, I'd be a bit torqued off too. Last year I was on a boat in the Carribean during hte UM/Mich game and the "sports bar" on board didn't even have ESPN...I was mighty ticked...so I can understand that.

WPoS

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can totally understand why UND fans are mad they can't watch their team on tv. I will be feeling your pain in the regionals. (Thanks Victory) The WCHA and Fox are simply catering to the #13 market. It's the same reason why ESPN televises the Rangers, Islanders, Flyers...etc more than the Thrashers, Predators, and Wild. Satisfying the biggest market and generating the most $$$$$.

How angry would you be if the Goph's were in the afternoon game and Fox televised it but not the night game with the Sioux? It's all about $$$$

[Get over yourselves, Gopher fans. This isn't about you. It isn't about Grand Forks. It's about Sioux fans not being able to watch their team on TV in the playoffs. If you were in the same position, you'd be just as steamed.]

There is a lot of crying about FoxSports - why no bitterness about Sweeney and his channel 23 crew not airing road games (including the most important road games of the year?) I live in Grand Forks and am amazed that the Sioux are THE show in town (and in the nation for the past 8 years) but can't cut a TV deal locally that willcover road games.

What % of Sioux games are on tv in the regular season? Are they on local or Fox? I really don't know.

All Fighting Sioux home games are carried regionally on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. FSSN is carried by Midcontinent and other cable companies in NW MN and North and South Dakota.

FSSN also tries to pick up as many feeds from road games as they can. This season they had the Saturday UMD game and a few others.

All that aside, this is the league playoffs. Showing both semi-finals is only right.

You're telling me that Fox Sports North is getting better ratings with this line-up?

2:00 PM NBA Action '03-'04

2:30 PM Big 12 Showcase '03-'04

3:00 PM On Campus '03-'04

3:30 PM 54321

4:00 PM Spinks vs Mayorga at Boardwalk Hall (rerun from Sunday night)

The "money" issue for a Friday afternoon semi-final is a canard. The cameras are there already from Thursday. If you're really cheap just insert the league webcasters' voices or go with no announcers at all. Just turn the cameras on.

I originally brought up the "cheap" argument.

Isn't it necessary for companies that produce live TV events to buy and/or lease satellite time to air its programs? I am far from an expert on television production issues such as this, but I imagine cannot be cheap to do procure satellite time. Maybe someone has more experience than I in this field would enlighten me?

There is a lot of crying about FoxSports - why no bitterness about Sweeney and his channel 23 crew not airing road games (including the most important road games of the year?) I live in Grand Forks and am amazed that the Sioux are THE show in town (and in the nation for the past 8 years) but can't cut a TV deal locally that willcover road games.

I really suggest you get a clue before you come on here criticizing everyone because you can't see road games. There's a reason for it. 1st...you blame WDAZ and UND for not airing the FF semifinal? UND and WDAZ have absolutely 0 control...thats right NONE. Its the St. Paul Group that controls what games are aired (the X, FSN) with some input from the WCHA. WDAZ legally cannot air the game.

With FSSN, that is the WDAZ crew broadcasting through a different channel, because WDAZ couldn't pre-empt what was coming down through the ABC feed. For the away games to be televised...either WDAZ (a very small television station, that actually is owned by WDAY out of Fargo...so they get very little money for unnecessary production) has to fork over a ton of money and send a production crew (5-10 people minimum...plus gas money for a gas-guzzling truck) or tap into the feed coming out of the arena. Both of these cost money that WDAZ doesn't have.

It was posted in another thread, but UND has more games televised than 8 out of the 10 teams in the WCHA. You should be happy that this many games are televised and quit bitching about things and people who have absolutely no control over what games get aired and which ones don't.

All Fighting Sioux home games are carried regionally on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. FSSN is carried by Midcontinent and other cable companies in NW MN and North and South Dakota.

FSSN also tries to pick up as many feeds from road games as they can. This season they had the Saturday UMD game and a few others.

All that aside, this is the league playoffs. Showing both semi-finals is only right.

You're telling me that Fox Sports North is getting better ratings with this line-up?

2:00 PM NBA Action '03-'04

2:30 PM Big 12 Showcase '03-'04

3:00 PM On Campus '03-'04

3:30 PM 54321

4:00 PM Spinks vs Mayorga at Boardwalk Hall (rerun from Sunday night)

The "money" issue for a Friday afternoon semi-final is a canard. The cameras are there already from Thursday. If you're really cheap just insert the league webcasters' voices or go with no announcers at all. Just turn the cameras on.

Thank you for the background on Sioux regular season telecasts. Sounds like FSSN is what MSC used to be to the Twin Cities.

Again, I want all the Final Five games to be shown. My point in this is that I think Fox is only concerned in televising the Gopher games. In years past (and I could be wrong) the #4/#5 game was not shown simply because the Gophers weren't in it. IMO Fox scheduled it this year because it looked like the Gophers would be playing in it. Right or wrong I think Fox (or the St.Paul group) cater to the Twin Cities market.

My point in this is that I think Fox is only concerned in televising the Gopher games.

And my point is that it is a league contract that is given and that should at a minimum mandate live broadcast of all five at The Five no matter who's playing when.

And my point is that it is a league contract that is given and that should at a minimum mandate live broadcast of all five at The Five no matter who's playing when.

Agreed. It should be a package deal.

I'm sure the league would love to have all 5 games televised, but I suspect that the league accepts the St. Paul group (FSN) bid because it's the only legitimate network bidding on it. The contract probably allows FSN to televise whatever games they feel like. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm sure Victory Sports would love to have the Final 5 contract (but nobody wants them until they're picked up by the cable/dish providers). Once Victory Sports gets picked up by the cable/dish providers, hopefully bidding will become more competitive and the league will receive comprehensive bids and all 5 games will be televised in the future.

PCM, the last two years at least the Friday afternoon game was the only one not shown. I know the shows they play during that time are worthless, but they also have to show them as part of their affiliation with Fox Sports Net. The night games are easier because that is when all FSN stations have slots open for live coverage of games. This goes for Saturday afternoon as well.

The "Minnesota Rule" - I'm getting tired of all the whining about this. The WCHA decides this. The 10 member schools vote on this. Unless Minnesota's vote counts for 10 while all other schools count as 1, then there are at least 5 other schools that vote for it. They do this because the money from the tournament is split evenly among the schools. They want to maximize revenue so they put Minnesota in the night spot to do it. Maybe you guys should find our if UND is one of the yes votes before you continue your whine fest. I'll admit I don't like the rule, but until the WCHA schools decide differently that is the way it is.

gobig6, you haven't told me anything I didn't already know about the Minnesota rule. But just because the rule was voted in by the WCHA schools doesn't mean that I have to like it. I understand this is the last year it will be in effect. Apparently it isn't all that popular with everyone.

So what's going to happen next year if the Gophers get the Friday afternoon game? Are you going to tell me that FSN won't broadcast it? Yeah, sure. :angry:

actaully, the weather is supposed, I say SUPPOSED, to be mid 50's on Friday and Saturday, so the roads should be fine. Think of it this way: you will miss rush hour traffic! Hey, that is a bonus driving in from the NW! Gotta find a ray of sunshine for you SOMEWHERE! :angry:

WPoS

oh no, WPoS just put a hex on the weather. That is great news if true 50 would be the warmest it has been this year. I think your right though I don't think we will see weather that we saw today too many more times this spring, it was brutal driving back from Fargo to Grand Forks. There is a slight chance of snow on Wednesday.

oh no, WPoS just put a hex on the weather. That is great news if true 50 would be the warmest it has been this year. I think your right though I don't think we will see weather that we saw today too many more times this spring, it was brutal driving back from Fargo to Grand Forks. There is a slight chance of snow on Wednesday.

I had better not hex it! I've got tailgating to do...wait I tailgate in Janruary! :angry:

Forecast I saw today said high 40's to low 50's still for Fri and Sat.

WPoS

I had better not hex it! I've got tailgating to do...wait I tailgate in Janruary! :angry:

Forecast I saw today said high 40's to low 50's still for Fri and Sat.

WPoS

A few beers will do wonders for you ability to tolerate cold weather. Does St. Paul let you tail gate in the street and parking lots or is tail gating a buzz word for meeting at the bar and drinking a few before the game?

gobig6, you haven't told me anything I didn't already know about the Minnesota rule. But just because the rule was voted in by the WCHA schools doesn't mean that I have to like it. I understand this is the last year it will be in effect. Apparently it isn't all that popular with everyone.

So what's going to happen next year if the Gophers get the Friday afternoon game? Are you going to tell me that FSN won't broadcast it? Yeah, sure. :angry:

PCM, sorry the rant about the "Minnesota rule" wasn't really directed at you. It was more for the people that were complaining that Minnesota decides everything and always gets what they want. The other schools all had a say and this is what we get because of it.

About the tv schedule, I can only go on what they have done in the past. I'm sure they would find a way to show it, but they do also have to show those worthless shows too. It's just easier with the night games because of what I said before.

I'm sorry I kind of went off about it, it was just bugging me so see a lot of uninformed complaining. I hope a station up there picks up the broadcast so you guys can see it.

I'm sure the league would love to have all 5 games televised, but I suspect that the league accepts the St. Paul group (FSN) bid because it's the only legitimate network bidding on it. The contract probably allows FSN to televise whatever games they feel like. Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm sure Victory Sports would love to have the Final 5 contract (but nobody wants them until they're picked up by the cable/dish providers). Once Victory Sports gets picked up by the cable/dish providers, hopefully bidding will become more competitive and the league will receive comprehensive bids and all 5 games will be televised in the future.

This is a first, a positive ramification of Victory Sports being launched. For the future it would be nice if the competition meant we all would see every Final Five and NCAA Regional playoff game. :angry:

A few beers will do wonders for you ability to tolerate cold weather. Does St. Paul let you tail gate in the street and parking lots or is tail gating a buzz word for meeting at the bar and drinking a few before the game?

yes a few beers do. But this winter when I had the propane flower heater along and we had to use it to thaw the beers. THAT was cold.

And no, we TAILGATE, no stinking bars for us! Tasty animal parts grilled to perfection, beers and BeerDarts! St.Paul doesn't have "tailgating" laws like by the dome. THe Gopher group has a little lot where we have an "in" with the owner and we tailgated there the last two years and this year also should be no problem. If you want to gate, before you pull into a lot, I'd ask the person you are paying to see if it is ok to open a few barley pops.

WPoS