SiouxSports.com Forum

A First for GF

mezzy05

Josh Olson scored 1 minute 40 seconds into the third period in his NHL Debut. I know a lot have made claims that Blake and Tanabe were born in GF, their bios don't say that. I guess they thought they would go further if they listed MN hometowns... Talk to Virg, whoever, but when is the last time a true Grand Forks native scored in his NHL debut...kinda thinking it has never happened. Way to go Olson!!!

Josh Olson Scores!!!

I have no idea...not trying to start something here, I guess I would consider a native to be one born into a particular place, in this case GF. I know Blake lived here, I played golf against him in HS, and I know Tanabe lived here as well as his brother Marcus went to RR...but my question was in regard to a person born in Grand Forks making it to the NHL...forget it if it's too much to think about. Good luck to the Sioux this weekend, not as though they need it.

For crying out loud, it has been since the 1950's that someone from GF has scored a goal in the NHL and you just really don't care, do you?

I know I don't. I'd rather have someone who played for the Sioux score goals in the NHL that someone from GF, and I'm from GF.

I love statistics you can get them to do anything you choose. Here's some proof Jason Blake's birthplace is Grand Forks, ND.

http://www.collegehockeyatthejoe.com/pros.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/shn/shn11ros.htm

Thanks for the post mezzy. I like hearing success stories about anyone who played hockey in Grand Forks, whether it be youth, highschool, college, whatever. Hopefully Olson can secure himself a spot on the Panther's roster.

I believe Josh was born in GF......but he grew up and played hockey in Roseau! His mom was my HS English teacher here! :(

Pretty cool either way!

I have no proof that Tanabe was born in GF but I played hockey with him in elementary. From what I've been told he wanted to play for the Gophers so he moved to White Bear Lake. If thats true I don't know what happened and why he went to Wisconsin, the Gophs must not have liked him.