SiouxSports.com Forum

Trifecta

WPoS

I was just gonna say...I was there in person watching the Sioux skate around with the MacNaughton Cup, saw them win the Final Five and get the Broadmoor Cup, and then win the NCAA title in 1997.

Of course it CAN be done...the only question is, WILL it?

MafiaMan

just because I can, I will have to agree with mksioux on this, but not for his reasons. Can the UND or UMD squad win all three for the trifecta in a "pure" way this year w/o sharing a trophy? There, is that better? :glare: IMO a shared or co-champion tarnishes the "title" a bit...

WPoS

just because I can, I will have to agree with mksioux on this, but not for his reasons. Can the UND or UMD squad win all three for the trifecta in a "pure" way this year w/o sharing a trophy? There, is that better? :glare: IMO a shared or co-champion tarnishes the "title" a bit...

WPoS

So what you're saying is.... UND won the trifecta, but there is an asterisk next to it in the books, because they shared the title with the Gophers? What a load of crap...

I think the Sioux are capable of winning their last four games of the season. It won't be easy in Duluth, but I can envision UND sweeping the Bulldogs or taking three of four points from them. I'm not saying it's going to happen, only that I can see circumstances that could enable it to happen.

If Brandt stands on his head for one game (he's due) and Bochenski has a "bunches of goals" game (he's due) for another game, UND could come out of the weekend with WCHA lead. That might require catching the Bulldogs on an off night (they're due) and a little luck in a close game against a tough opponent (the Sioux are due).

However, if the Sioux play well both nights in Duluth and get one win, then sweep MTU and finish second in the league, I'll be happy. After finishing in sixth place in 2002 and fourth place last season, a second-place finish is a big improvement. The Sioux would be well positioned for the playoffs and go in with momentum.

I am rather disappointed by this thread. I saw "Trifecta" and it was started by WPOS and I figured he would be talking about the Gophers three-peat. I was all ready to come on here and rip WPOS for posting that. Maybe some other time.

I am rather disappointed by this thread. I saw "Trifecta" and it was started by WPOS and I figured he would be talking about the Gophers three-peat. I was all ready to come on here and rip WPOS for posting that. Maybe some other time.

Let me reassure you that the three peat isn't going to happen this season.

As for UND winning all of those things if they get one or the other who cares, you don't need both. I only care about the NCAA but a McNaughten would be nice.

WPoS,

Who does that 1997 MacNaughton Cup "co-championship" taint more, the Sioux or your beloved Gophers? UND and Minnesota tied in the regular season and then the Sioux defeated the Gophers 4-3 in OT at the old St Paul Civic Center in front of a full-house of Gopher fans and about 250 Sioux fans. I'd say the Sioux title isn't marked with an asterisk for a reason. For the same reasons, perhaps your recent success should be ear-marked with "Gopher Hockey - it's not just for Minnesota kids anymore."

some buttons are too easy to push... :glare: I'd give your co-champ as much of an asterisk as most of you want to give our 4th NCAA win...

Goon, I do like your confidence, and this years stats are on your side. It CAN happen, but we'll have to wait and see. I'd LOVE to see that crow pie again this year! :0:p

WPoS

:glare:

You're a funny guy, Marty. It doesn't sound like you pull any punches & your express purpose for visiting this thread was to come on here & rip a Gopher fan. When you realized this wasn't possible, you were disappointed & decided to leave. :p

I'll wait to try and make ANY post regarding a three-peat untill I see the boys in the Champ game this year...I'm not THAT arrogant! :glare:

WPoS

Whoa...don't go out on a limb or anything. The Gophers in the championship game of a tournament in an arena where 15,000 of 18,000 fans in attendance will be cheering for them? Wow! Is it really possible? Do you think they could win not one but TWO games in front of the home folks and get to the title game? :glare:

Whoa...don't go out on a limb or anything. The Gophers in the championship game of a tournament in an arena where 15,000 of 18,000 fans in attendance will be cheering for them? Wow! Is it really possible? Do you think they could win not one but TWO games in front of the home folks and get to the title game? :glare:

Mafia, I think you are talking about the Final Five, and WPOS is talking about the Frozen Four... 2 TOTALLY different Championship games... :p

You can't make the excuse that the any team wins a championship because it's in front of the home crowd or they have the majority of the fans. That's just ignorance. In some circumstances you might be able to argue a team winning a championship but when a team wins two in a row you have to give them props. I hate the Gophers but they did win two NCAA championships in a row and that is a huge accomplishment.