SiouxSports.com Forum

WHY NOT PLAY US NEXT YEAR

SU WR 1AB

SDSU has DII Winona State, Oregon and Augie on their football schedule next year. It seems those schools don't seem intimidated by the move. UND is showing their true colors by not scheduling NDSU. If your so confident in your team's abilities than why not play them.

SDSU has DII Winona State, Oregon and Augie on their football schedule next year. It seems those schools don't seem intimidated by the move. UND is showing their true colors by not scheduling NDSU. If your so confident in your team's abilities than why not play them.

It's been laid out time and again on this message board how playing games outside of D2 hurts a team when it comes to the postseason. Not that we should expect you to understand. Football and postseason are two words that don't go together at SDSU. :lol:

1234:

I won't disagree with the 8 points. What I will say is this: "If UND has an SOS greater than 8.0, playing NDSU and winning would still bring their SOS down."

If UND's SOS is 9.00 though 10 games, playing NDSU and winning would still lower it to 8.91.

JACKGUY:

Tell me about schedules of teams that expect to make the DII playoffs this fall. (Winona lost a huge, critical senior class.)

(not 1-AA)

smarta$$ :lol:

Have fun being the UMC of DI-AA next year :huh:

There I fixed my post...better? :0

Minnesota - Wisconsin is good, but not there
Seeing both this and Sioux/Bison personally, I have to respectfully disagree.

Can you imagine Wacker,...doing anything that would harm their playoff chances?

Wacker had playoff chances?

timbo......what is your malfunction??? you heard from a good source?? who was this??? UND's AD said that NDSU will be raising their scholarships to 56 next year....adding 20 scholarships.....have not heard what basketball will do but they can raise them to 15 as opposed to 10 to UND.....now as far as the contract.....I saw the contract and NDSU was not giving a gurantee, nor were they willing to do a home and home....they wanted UND to go to NDSU both times.....now has NDSU let the media know that this is the great contract????? no their not......so unless you know what your talking about....zip it.....

Jacks bite.......why are you still on this board???? what will SDSU do when supposidly on fox sports last night it was said that NDSU will join the big sky with Idaho St........guess the mighty bisssssoooonnn will leave the jacks in the dust while trying to convince them that going D 1 will help give NDSU a traveling partner....and being the meatheads that SDSU are they jump on it.....also heard that SDSU will not be raising any of their scholarships next year especially in the minor sports.....talk about throwing your kids to the wolves.....

Saw Northern Colorado played Rutgers the other night....in MBB lost 102-52.......their is your future SDSU and NDSU....welcome to D1......tooo funny

isn't a little bit early to be drinking legend

UND's AD said that NDSU will be raising their scholarships to 56 next year....adding 20 scholarships
close but I beleive the sholarships will be raised to 54

I saw the contract and NDSU was not giving a gurantee, nor were they willing to do a home and home....they wanted UND to go to NDSU both times

It is obvious that you "saw it " and didn't read it

NDSU wants to continue playing UND, said NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor. He said the hope is to sign a home-and-home deal.

Asked if he would consider offering UND a guarantee, Taylor said,

ummm Idaho St is already in the Big Sky

somebison:

You have to admit that it would be pretty funny if NDSU managed to get into the Big Sky (along with Idaho) and left SDSU to fend for themselves after all the talk about being travel partners. :lol: That might actually be enough to create a REAL rivalry between NDSU and SDSU. :huh:

somebisssssssooooooonnnnnn.....my bad Idaho...same difference.....and while i was sitting in RT's office....and he said he called Gene Taylor and he said he was upping scholarships 20........i guess he was lying to me.....retard......it would be classic NDSU to dump on whoever they want....and UND is smart enough to realize that NDSU wants the first two games at home so they would have the chance to buy the contract out or by letting the rivarly die down thus killing the gate....UND is smarter than that.......as well as in 4 years NDSU wont need UND so why should we be their patsy now.....sink or swim time NDSU.....find your own games......untie that rock around your ankles and lets see what you have Gene Taylor.....

and......i agree with Gene Roebuck by saying after this year NDSU and UND will no longer have a rivalry.....what are the two schools playing for??? the nickel??? that doesnt make a rivalry......playing for the same goal...a championship...whether its the NCC title or a national championship makes it a rivalry....and by the way....before that nickel trophy ever makes it to the museum...it will be missing from UND......gotta earn the nickel SU....not by killing the rivalry and then begging to see it again....win it....then you can raise it above your head til then....keep watching UND raise it......on the front page of the Forum might i add....too funny....

and while i was sitting in RT's office....

I am sure UND fans are comforted knowing that RT has his consigliere close by at all times. :lol:

and he said he called Gene Taylor and he said he was upping scholarships  20........i guess he was lying to me
well they're not... don't know what else to tell you

it would be classic NDSU to dump on whoever they want....

?

and UND is smart enough to realize that NDSU wants the first two games at home so they would have the chance to buy the contract out or by letting the rivarly die down thus killing the gate

first you say the contract won't be home/home... now you say it is home/home but NDSU wants the first two games at home... did you sneak in and "look" at the contract without reading it again :huh:

somebison:

You have to admit that it would be pretty funny if NDSU managed to get into the Big Sky (along with Idaho) and left SDSU to fend for themselves after all the talk about being travel partners. :lol: That might actually be enough to create a REAL rivalry between NDSU and SDSU. :huh:

Interesting but don't see either of us going to the Big Sky without the other. (I personally would like Sac St to leave the Sky and UNC, NDSU, and SDSU enter). SDSU does have a slight advantage (200 mi) over NDSU in geography with regards to virtually every D1 conference. If NDSU were to join the Big Sky on a longshot (again not going to happen) SDSU could join the new Great West or perhaps even Gateway (they were considering adding 1 school) for FB and perhaps the mid-con for BB. Which may not be that bad of a deal as down the road SDSU could conceivably "upgrade" to the Missouri Valley the best "mid-major" BB conference.

Which may not be that bad of a deal as down the road SDSU could conceivably "upgrade" to the Missouri Valley the best "mid-major" BB conference.

I think everyone can agree that "upgrading" is the last thing in the world NDSU or SDSU should be thinking about. Until a conference is found, there is no chance at all for an upgrade. And usually an upgrade calls for some success at the D1 level, which SDSU and NDSU have none of. There is no way the Missouri Valley would have interest in SDSU for another 25 years minimum anyway, they have much higher standards then accepting some team that recently moved up, had good D2 success, and was on postseason ban for 13 years. There are a boatload more teams in front of SDSU in the Missouri Valley's eyes, Illinois-Chicago, UW-Milwaukee, Detroit, Valpo, even schools from the Ohio Valley like Murray St and Austin Peay could work into the MVC geographically, and unlike SDSU they have good mid-major tradition at the D1 level.

Interesting but don't see either of us going to the Big Sky without the other.  (I personally would like Sac St to leave the Sky and UNC, NDSU, and SDSU enter).  SDSU does have a slight advantage (200 mi) over NDSU in geography with regards to virtually every D1 conference.  If NDSU were to join the Big Sky on a longshot (again not going to happen) SDSU could join the new Great West or perhaps even Gateway (they were considering adding 1 school)  for FB and perhaps the mid-con for BB.  Which may not be that bad of a deal as down the road SDSU could conceivably "upgrade" to the Missouri Valley the best "mid-major" BB conference.

I don't disagree with you that such a scenario is unlikely, I just thought it was interesting that after numerous Forum articles and/or local sportscasts over the past couple of years mentioning possible Big Sky expansion, this was the first time that NDSU's name came up with a potential partner (Idaho) other than SDSU. In case you didn't see it, it was was mentioned by Jeremy Jorgenson on Fox at 9:00.

I think everyone can agree that "upgrading" is the last thing in the world NDSU or SDSU should be thinking about. Until a conference is found, there is no chance at all for an upgrade. And usually an upgrade calls for some success at the D1 level, which SDSU and NDSU have none of. There is no way the Missouri Valley would have interest in SDSU for another 25 years minimum anyway, they have much higher standards then accepting some team that recently moved up, had good D2 success, and was on postseason ban for 13 years. There are a boatload more teams in front of SDSU in the Missouri Valley's eyes, Illinois-Chicago, UW-Milwaukee, Detroit, Valpo, even schools from the Ohio Valley like Murray St and Austin Peay could work into the MVC geographically, and unlike SDSU they have good mid-major tradition at the D1 level.

I should have put a timeline out there ... there is some momentum for the BB ban to be reduced from 13-5 yrs. If SDSU is in the Mid-Con (obviously this is a big IF... but then again I stated the whole scenario is a very very long shot) 5-8 yrs from now I think they could be competitive with a couple extra scholies and a DI label in recruiting. Then if they are competitive for another 5-10 years, some shakeups in the MVC (S. Illinois will become more attractive to other confs) I don't think an MVC bid is inconceivable (SDSU is driving distance from UNI, Drake, Creighton,... a lot can happen in 10-20 years. and once again bear in mind I said I doubt any of this will happen... :lol:

I should have put a timeline out there ... there is some momentum for the BB ban to be reduced from 13-5 yrs. If SDSU is in the Mid-Con (obviously this is a big IF... but then again I stated the whole scenario is a very very long shot)  5-8 yrs from now I think they could be competitive with a couple extra scholies and a DI label in recruiting. Then if they are competitive for another 5-10 years, some shakeups in the MVC (S. Illinois will become more attractive to other confs) I don't think an MVC bid is inconceivable (SDSU is driving distance from UNI, Drake, Creighton,... a lot can happen in 10-20 years.  and once again bear in mind I said I doubt any of this will happen...  :lol:

The thing about D1 basketball is that I don't see much more movement from the BCS conferences as far as adding teams goes, and i'd also bunch the MWC into that. In fact, I'd put money on Conference USA all but disbanding in the next 5-10 years with the loss of memphis, Louisville, Marquette,TCU, St. Louis talking of getting out, Depaul doing the same (and the southeastern CUSA teams staying together to form something new). That being said, the CUSA and MVC walk on very much the same ground geographically. I don't see the MVC looking "down" (SDSU), so to speak, if they choose to expand, but instead adding schools like St. Louis, Depaul, Tulsa who play in better conferences, but whose conferences are rather unstable.

• 2 weeks later...