SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey blooms in ... Arizona?!?

ScottM

I read somewhere Tucson is trying to build a new hockey rink for the youth level. 

The hockey in the Phoenix metro area has been picking up for quite some time.  The main thing holding it back is cost.  That article isn't kidding when it says the kids stumble out of SUVs and sedans.  Most of the programs are travel intensive, which means they are ridiculously expensive.  When I lived in the area, my boss (originally from Minnesota) said it was costing him over $10,000 PER KID PER YEAR to play hockey.

I know I have put it on here before, last spring I was flying back from Tucson and the U of A hockey team was flying to Minot. I was sitting next to the head coach and he was saying a lot if the same things in the article. He was also confident at that time that U of A would field a D1 hockey team before ASU. That didn't happen but I imagine they will be one of the next PAC teams to announce the moves.

The hockey in the Phoenix metro area has been picking up for quite some time.  The main thing holding it back is cost.  That article isn't kidding when it says the kids stumble out of SUVs and sedans.  Most of the programs are travel intensive, which means they are ridiculously expensive.  When I lived in the area, my boss (originally from Minnesota) said it was costing him over $10,000 PER KID PER YEAR to play hockey.

My daughter plays travel softball and $10,000 would be on the low end.