SiouxSports.com Forum

Reality check?

mikejm

So, now that we've all had time to panic and rant and predict the coming of the anti-christ, let's all take a deep breath and find positives from the trip to Madison:

1. Team-wise, the Sioux probably played their best overall game since Christmas. I don't buy that anyone was dogging or didn't show up. Sioux got beat by one incredible goalie Saturday. (Friday wasn't that different than any Saturday night game for the last two months.) The fact that the Sioux haven't had their hats handed to them some night before this weekend I think has hidden some of the undisciplined and under-enthusiastic play I've seen. Saturday, just listening to the radio call, it sounded like the spring was back in their steps and the fire re-lit.

2. The losses took the Number 1 target off the boys' backs. Should allow them to un-tighten certan parts of their anatomies and play fluid, short-passing, aggressive hockey that's been missing for quite awhile.

3. Did you look at Pairwise, KRACH and RPI? Sioux are still No. 1 in each.

4. This weekend gives a nice chance to bounce back, a home series against a team that is clearly struggling. The weekend after that go to Mankato and take care of business. Duluth is a concern, but hey, no body ever said this was going to be easy.

Yes losing two to the BADgers is a set-back but for cryin' out loud it is hardly the end of the world, nor is it the start of a slide.

I, for one, think the losses will prove beneficial to this still very young team.

The Sioux do have the easiest schedule of the top 4 teams. All bottom feeders except for UMD (and possibly CC).

I think BC has the easiest schedule because they play in Hockey East. With the exception of MAYBE Maine (on a good night), the rest of them are easy.

Saturday, just listening to the radio call, it sounded like the spring was back in their steps and the fire re-lit.

This weekend gives a nice chance to bounce back, a home series against a team that is clearly struggling.

Yes losing two to the BADgers is a set-back but for cryin' out loud it is hardly the end of the world, nor is it the start of a slide.

I, for one, think the losses will prove beneficial to this still very young team.

I tend to agree with the concept that this isn't necessarily the end of the world (season), but I have a few comments on the excerpts of your post.

As for the fire being re-lit, it could be viewed as a little discouraging that the team played well and got beat 5-2.

CC may be just coming out of their own swoon right now, so it could be that they are not struggling so badly. They are 4-1 in their last 5 (better than UND), they split with Wisconsin (better than UND) and they swept UAA (better than UND and most everyone else this year).

"nor is it the start of a slide" -- I think it's not the start, but maybe the middle, and hopefully near the end.

As for UND's youth, I was recently considering the same. There are a lot of experienced guys on the team, so it's tough to call the team "young." However, with three freshmen forwards on the top two lines, there is at least an argument.