SiouxSports.com Forum

Halloween

darell1976

Do kids not go door to door anymore? We had 29 kids all night and my parents in GF had 49. Growing up my mom would keep track every year and the totals would be in the hundreds. I used to go blocks and blocks hitting all the houses I could. Is it the candy at the mall making kids stay away from houses? Any thoughts.

Do kids not go door to door anymore? We had 29 kids all night and my parents in GF had 49. Growing up my mom would keep track every year and the totals would be in the hundreds. I used to go blocks and blocks hitting all the houses I could. Is it the candy at the mall making kids stay away from houses? Any thoughts.

I do believe these "safe treat" locations are a big part of it. These locations are supposed to be verified safe, and many keeps them out of the cold weather while also having plenty of candy given in one location. I believe even the Canad had a trick or treat event. 

The media has also made it worse, making it seem like there is a ton of danger going out, and that candy has been laced, or opened.

I do believe these "safe treat" locations are a big part of it. These locations are supposed to be verified safe, and many keeps them out of the cold weather while also having plenty of candy given in one location. I believe even the Canad had a trick or treat event. 

The media has also made it worse, making it seem like there is a ton of danger going out, and that candy has been laced, or opened.

Trick and treating in the 80's should teach them that awareness is in the eyes of the parents. They are to check (and eat) the candy the kids bring home. The media does go overboard.

"Yay, it's Halloween. Let's go trick-or-treating together, Timmy!"

"Um, I can't. It's too cold outside and I picked a costume that some poor kid might be hurt by/offended by/scared of. I'm just gonna go to the mall instead and get my sugar-free healthy snack and pea-and-bean smoothie drink. It'll be almost as much fun."

"Um, I can't. It's too cold outside and I picked a costume that some poor kid might be hurt by/offended by/scared of. I'm just gonna go to the mall instead and get my sugar-free healthy snack and pea-and-bean smoothie drink. It'll be almost as much fun."

If that is what Halloween has become, just cancel it altogether. The big box stores would love to skip it and get the trees and lights up earlier.

LOL. That's a classic...yet sad and true.