SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

FCS is the old D-II or more appropriately the old small college division as far as football is concerned. Roger Thomas is a good guy but your comments echo the same mentality that he used in holding UND and the entire NCC back at the worst possible time. At least NDSU and SDSU had some balls and vision to venture into the great unknown with a decision that should have happened at least 40 years ago.

So, would you like BF to hold a press conference and announce an FBS study today?

So, would you like BF to hold a press conference and announce an FBS study today?

Wouldn't be that hard you only have to do it for one sport? The wheel doesn't have to be reinvented on this one. You must be in academia or work for the government directly. That's all the world needs is another study on something there is a blueprint for already. :)

1. There's the handshake agreement, and renege by Taylor; again, the point stands: poor form in North Dakota.

2. No, it wasn't and isn't ideal for NDSU ... so why do it? Answer: It was a convenient 'out' for Taylor to fill his schedule with something other than UND, 'economic circumstances' be damned.

Taylor would be better served to just stand up, man up, and say he'll never schedule UND under his watch. Right now he's just pussyfooting around.

Why would Taylor send an offer for a two game series in Fargo that would be financially lucrative for both institutions if he'll never schedule UND?

Especially considering the fact that UND potentially stands to gain more than NDSU by playing the game.

Wouldn't be that hard you only have to do it for one sport? The wheel doesn't have to be reinvented on this one. You must be in academia or work for the government directly. That's all the world needs is another study on something there is a blueprint for already. :)

No point of doing a study now, when we aren't moving up for a long time.

Why would Taylor send an offer for a two game series in Fargo that would be financially lucrative for both institutions if he'll never schedule UND?

Especially considering the fact that UND potentially stands to gain more than NDSU by playing the game.

Because Taylor knows UND wouldn't go for a 2-0 game without a return game in GF. Faison offered a return game in GF for 2018-2020 (2019 is a 12 game year) and Taylor didn't accept. Taylor will never play UND as long as he is there.

Because Taylor knows UND wouldn't go for a 2-0 game without a return game in GF. Faison offered a return game in GF for 2018-2020 (2019 is a 12 game year) and Taylor didn't accept. Taylor will never play UND as long as he is there.

Why? Because UND couldn't possibly afford to give up a half sold home game and an expensive bus trip for a measly six figure plus payday?

A home and home does not work for NDSU. If nothing less than that works for UND. Fine, fill up your schedule till 2030. Maybe by then you'll have a playoff berth.

Why? Because UND couldn't possibly afford to give up a half sold home game and an expensive bus trip for a measly six figure plus payday?

A home and home does not work for NDSU. If nothing less than that works for UND. Fine, fill up your schedule till 2030. Maybe by then you'll have a playoff berth.

2017 if UND plays at NDSU would leave UND 4...FOUR home games. What's wrong with playing at UND in 2019? I know we aren't Weber State but we are an FCS counter.

Why did he then change his own offer and make it a one game offer, basically putting that offer in rear-view? I will tell you why he first tried the 2015-2017 (both at NDSU) offer. Because UND absolutely cannot do that in 2017, they would only have four home games and start the season with Utah, USD and NDSU. Right.

2015 One-game deal is the only one that can work right now.

2017 if UND plays at NDSU would leave UND 4...FOUR home games. What's wrong with playing at UND in 2019? I know we aren't Weber State but we are an FCS counter.

Why did he then change his own offer and make it a one game offer, basically putting that offer in rear-view? I will tell you why he first tried the 2015-2017 (both at NDSU) offer. Because UND absolutely cannot do that in 2017, they would only have four home games and start the season with Utah, USD and NDSU. Right.

2015 One-game deal is the only one that can work right now.

With the uncertainty of college football I don't see an urgency to get an away game on the schedule for 2019. When it gets closer I could see a home and home for 2018 and 2019 working out. But I know most of you would like to see UND get their schedule filled up through those years in which that may not be an option in the future.

I'd be shocked if GT wouldn't agree to a one-game contract for 2015 for more than the original guarantee. IMO, if BF offered a one time game in Fargo for 150k guarantee it'd get done. Could be wrong.

With the uncertainty of college football I don't see an urgency to get an away game on the schedule for 2019. When it gets closer I could see a home and home for 2018 and 2019 working out. But I know most of you would like to see UND get their schedule filled up through those years in which that may not be an option in the future.

I'd be shocked if GT wouldn't agree to a one-game contract for 2015 for more than the original guarantee. IMO, if BF offered a one time game in Fargo for 150k guarantee it'd get done. Could be wrong.

Which is at least around $50K less than NDSU has been paying, of course he'd take a home game at a discount price for himself.

Faison has never taken a one-time guarantee away game unless it has been against an FBS school and has a payday much larger than NDSU is able to offer.

Not sure why they don't agree to a deal for 2015/2019. NDSU gets their 6th home game in 2015 (no FBS though) and travel to UND in a 12 game season so that it doesn't interfere with their "scheduling template", models very similarly what they did with Weber this year except they get the home game first. Buyout of $500K minimum.

Now that both subdivisions have a championship it is time to once and for all stop using those stupid "FCS" and "FBS" labels. From now on if somebody refers to FCS I will ask them "which one of the two subdivisions that has a championship are you referring to?". The NCAA needs to man up and come up with something new or else go back to calling them divisions I and I-AA.

Sounds good to me! The NCAA has as much foresight as a groundhog so don't get your hopes up.

Which is at least around $50K less than NDSU has been paying, of course he'd take a home game at a discount price for himself.

Faison has never taken a one-time guarantee away game unless it has been against an FBS school and has a payday much larger than NDSU is able to offer.

Not sure why they don't agree to a deal for 2015/2019. NDSU gets their 6th home game in 2015 (no FBS though) and travel to UND in a 12 game season so that it doesn't interfere with their "scheduling template", models very similarly what they did with Weber this year except they get the home game first. Buyout of $500K minimum.

I'll agree 150k is too low. 190k guarantee, IMO, would be a fair number. UND has less travel than other teams, but is certainly a better opponent than what NDSU currently can get for one-time games.

I still don't see the urgency to get an away game for 2019 on the schedule. I could agree with a 2-4-1. 2015 @NDSU, 2018 @NDSU, 2019 @UND.

If either one of these were offered by BF and GT rejected them. I could buy into "GT won't play UND." Till then, GT is just a businessman looking out for NDSU's best interests.

No point of doing a study now, when we aren't moving up for a long time.

This thought process is what got us to where we are today. Not saying we are, should or are even capable of going FBS now, but we need to put the wheels in motion and be prepped for the day if and when the opportunity presents itself. The study should be done now if it already hasn't been started. You at least have to look into it now proactively. Not reactively in 5 years. That's too late.

1. 85 scholarship football is the only way to go to open up scheduling to another level.

2. We would have the negotiating power to schedule any 63 scholarship team as a home game.

3. We would have the new possibility of home and home scheduling with other similar 85 scholarship programs.

4. The P5 might be willing to do a 2 for 1 as Wyoming did with Texas.

5. If the P5 teams will only do home games at their place, as an 85 scholarship program we could negotiate a far higher payday than 63 scholarships teams can.

6. As the playoffs expand there becomes a real chance to qualify if the playoffs go to 16 teams or more.

7. There will be huge pressure from the networks to see expansion so more games can be covered. Money, like it or not will drive the bus.

This thought process is what got us to where we are today. Not saying we are, should or are even capable of going FBS now, but we need to put the wheels in motion and be prepped for the day if and when the opportunity presents itself. The study should be done now if it already hasn't been started. You at least have to look into it now proactively. Not reactively in 5 years. That's too late.

According to Bulk Truck he wants UND to go FBS as of yesterday. I think there are more important things to consider, like what conference would invite UND? Sun Belt? MW? MAC? Plus UND is contracted with the Alerus until the end of the decade (I believe). Until the p5 split and all hell breaks loose, UND won't look at moving up.

1. 85 scholarship football is the only way to go to open up scheduling to another level.

2. We would have the negotiating power to schedule any 63 scholarship team as a home game.

3. We would have the new possibility of home and home scheduling with other similar 85 scholarship programs.

5. If the P5 teams will only do home games at their place, as an 85 scholarship program we could negotiate a far higher payday than 63 scholarships teams can.

6. As the playoffs expand there becomes a real chance to qualify if the playoffs go to 16 teams or more.

7. There will be huge pressure from the networks to see expansion so more games can be covered. Money, like it or not will drive the bus.

How are you funding the increased cost plus the matching funds on the women's side? That is where the discussion begins and ends.

The money for the 85 scholarships will come from where? UND will get Texas to the Alerus Center on a 2 for 1? Playoffs? UND won 3 games in the FCS, how about we make a playoff appearance at this level first. Someone has been playing too much NCAA football on their XBox.

I'll agree 150k is too low. 190k guarantee, IMO, would be a fair number. UND has less travel than other teams, but is certainly a better opponent than what NDSU currently can get for one-time games.

I still don't see the urgency to get an away game for 2019 on the schedule. I could agree with a 2-4-1. 2015 @NDSU, 2018 @NDSU, 2019 @UND.

If either one of these were offered by BF and GT rejected them. I could buy into "GT won't play UND." Till then, GT is just a businessman looking out for NDSU's best interests.

The price is in line, but I don't see Faison agreeing to anything short of a home/home and I'd personally be disappointed if he did.

In regards to scheduling that far out, UND already only has one more game to scheduled for both 2017 and 2018 so 2019 is not that far out of what Faison is looking at for availability (along with the open date in 2015 he has held for NDSU). The open spots in 2017 and 2018 fit into the mold of spots where Faison has gotten guarantee games with UND bringing someone in, I don't see a 2-for-1 happening.

GT signed the Montana contract in 2009, that was 5 years out at the time, same time as his return game would be and he is able to close out his 2015 schedule almost a year when its been finalized in the past .

Points 2,3,4,and 5 all stand to have potential or in some cases almost a sure lock on increasing revenue. What would you rather do travel to San Jose State for one game or have the potential to schedule another 85 scholarship team like Wyoming on a home and home basis. That will never happen with a 63 vs 85 difference. If UND can't sell out the Alerus Center with a home game against Wyoming, as an example, then we don't deserve to have any type of D-1 football at all. You only get better by playing up not down. Sorry, I failed to attach this message to the one that had 7 points for 85 scholarship football. It is post #1117.

Points 2,3,4,and 5 all stand to have potential or in some cases almost a sure lock on increasing revenue. What would rather do travel to San Jose State for one game or have the potential to schedule another 85 scholarship team like Wyoming on a home and home basis. That will never happen with a 63 vs 85 difference. If UND can't sell out the Alerus Center with a home game against Wyoming, as an example, then we don't deserve to have any type of D-1 football at all. You only get better by playing up not down.

Wow! All I can say is wow.

According to Bulk Truck he wants UND to go FBS as of yesterday. I think there are more important things to consider, like what conference would invite UND? Sun Belt? MW? MAC? Plus UND is contracted with the Alerus until the end of the decade (I believe). Until the p5 split and all hell breaks loose, UND won't look at moving up.

Darell, I agree with you that they need a conference invite. But what if everything shakes down and a conference comes calling tomorrow, next month, next year, or 5 years from now? We can't tell them to wait so we can do a study and tell them we'll get back to them when we find out if we can do it or not. You have to have your due diligence done now, so you can make that educated decision either way. When and if an invite is extended and if and when we are able to go, we need to have our answer immediately if it is our intention to accept the invite. That door is only open for so long before they move on. I hope the administration, athletic department and foundation all have this stuff on their radars now. EDIT: If we do the study now and realize we aren't ready, then action(s) can be made to prep ourselves financially if we feel a move is imminent.

• Upvote 1

Darell, I agree with you that they need a conference invite. But what if everything shakes down and a conference comes calling tomorrow, next month, next year, or 5 years from now? We can't tell them to wait so we can do a study and tell them we'll get back to them when we find out if we can do it or not. You have to have your due diligence done now, so you can make that educated decision either way. When and if an invite is extended and if and when we are able to go, we need to have our answer immediately if it is our intention to accept the invite. That door is only open for so long before they move on. I hope the administration, athletic department and foundation all have this stuff on their radars now.

I agree! If you don't plan your work, you can't work your plan!