SiouxSports.com Forum

The DI-AA West Conference picture is blurred...

WYOBISONMAN

Every school can influence the direction of the NCAA. NCAA decisions have impact and influence on member athletic decisions. That is all very true.

Each school directly controls their own athletic budget.

Control what is yours to control (and when something is mine I don't put it in unnecessary jeopardy).

That's why financial is the primary risk.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought here that i have had. perhaps the real reason why all the NDSU fans are all up in UND's grill about how they should step up to the next level is that they want to sweeten the deal with the DI-AA conferences by getting the both of you into the same conference at the same time, using your big rivalry as the main selling point.

We already have that exact deal with SDSU.

cmon bison1234,

you know damn well that the the rivalry between ndsu and sdsu is not, and will never even come close to being as intense as UND/ndsu. i hope you dont think you have an equal rival replacement in sdsu. funny thing is, WHEN we go D-IAA, your rivalry with sdsu will be considered an afterthought compared to UND/ndsu. poor wabbits. :glare:

cmon bison1234,

you know damn well that the the rivalry between ndsu and sdsu is not, and will never even come close to being as intense as UND/ndsu. i hope you dont think you have an equal rival replacement in sdsu. funny thing is, WHEN we go D-IAA, your rivalry with sdsu will be considered an afterthought compared to UND/ndsu. poor wabbits. :huh:

South Dakota already hates the bison

South Dakota is Minnesota Vikings territory, hence Favre's selection as No. 1 enemy. (Davis and Steinbrenner? Go figure.) Respondents' most hated opponents: the Green Bay Packers (21%) and the North Dakota State Bison (11%).

so we are halfway there :glare:

The risk I see to UND staying in D-II long term is that NDSU will stay D-I. The schools were once peers, now they are not. For many, the first impression of a school comes from athletics. The perception will be that NDSU competes a higher level than UND in athletics and is therefore "a better school". Over time that perception, and the decisions prospective students make from it, will evolve into reality. UND will then play second fiddle to NDSU in the state.

I'm not saying that it will happen, but it is a risk.

I can't agree on this. Just because NDSU is in a higher divsion won't mean much, because the U.S. doesn't care about ND anyways. So the average fan won't know one school from the other. The only reason people will know NDSU (but not North Dakota State University) is from the Mt. Dew caps during March Madness with the likes of Buffalo and Mid Atlantic States International of the Ocean. Or did they quit that last year? Anyways, I don't see NDSU getting TV exposure during bball unless they become the next Gonzaga (maybe some early season beatings at the hands of Gonzaga). National TV for FB won't matter either, since DI-A doesn't care about DI-AA unless they get to whoop them. Keep in mind that UND gets some exposure in the north and east DI market due to hockey.

We already have that exact deal with SDSU.

You can think they are a good rival, but get real. Their football program is average at best, they have an under .500 overall record for the past 30 someting years. A good rival is a threat to you, and isn't a team that is worse then you every single year, which has been and always will be the case with the SDSU football program. They may have the most dillusional fans of all, thinking that they can compete in football when they haven't competed in the NCC for its existence with their 1 playoff appearance, the same number Morningside had.

SDSU may hate NDSU, but how much does NDSU hate SDSU?? From what I have gathered from here and from GVFOOTBALL's board when we had a bunch of people from NDSU on there during the NC game week trying to stir up more trouble between GVSU and UND, I'm willing to wager that the UND/NDSU rivalry is a hellava lot bigger than what NDSU/SDSU is on any day of the week. for a good rivalry, the hatred must be equally felt on both sides of the ball when you line em up to go at it.

You can think they are a good rival, but get real. Their football program is average at best, they have an under .500 overall record for the past 30 someting years. A good rival is a threat to you, and isn't a team that is worse then you every single year, which has been and always will be the case with the SDSU football program. They may have the most dillusional fans of all, thinking that they can compete in football when they haven't competed in the NCC for its existence with their 1 playoff appearance, the same number Morningside had.

Honestly....it is hard to get overly excited about SDSU. We usually pound them in Football and then they reciprocate in Basketball....I do think that some good rivalries could develop with the Montana schools....the old Montana/North Dakota thing. That is where the greatest potential for a rivalry to develop exists. I also must say that I may be biased since I am from Williston.