SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) @ WSU (8-2)

sioux24/7

Jones has been preaching sharing the ball. Nash shot 21 times, Huff shot 14 times and 15 free throws and Webb shot 9 times. Outside those the most anyone else shot was 6 times and then a few 2 times. Tell me how that is sharing the basketball? Looks as if we should only put 3 guys on the floor and 2 of those 3 are our worst defenders. I am almost switched over to fire Jones. If he is only going to play 5 guys for almost the entire 40 minutes and we don't share the ball as he preaches I don't expect things to go to well.

Jones has been preaching sharing the ball. Nash shot 21 times, Huff shot 14 times and 15 free throws and Webb shot 9 times. Outside those the most anyone else shot was 6 times and then a few 2 times. Tell me how that is sharing the basketball? Looks as if we should only put 3 guys on the floor and 2 of those 3 are our worst defenders. I am almost switched over to fire Jones. If he is only going to play 5 guys for almost the entire 40 minutes and we don't share the ball as he preaches I don't expect things to go to well.

Hopefully last night is not how we are going to distribute the ball the rest of the year. We have what I consider 3 shooters ( Anderson, Schuler and Stefen). Stefen played 11 minutes and Schuler only 8. They got only 2 shots each and all we did was give the ball to Huff, Nash or Webb and they drove the ball with absolutely no intentions of passing the ball. I don't care if they score 30 if you are not a threat to pass the ball they are easy to collapse on and make them make tough shots. How many layups and dunks did Weber get from poor shots or turnovers by the ones forcing the shots? Our shooters need to get into the flow of the game and get shots. When we play as a team we have win and when we play like last night and forget about who is wide open and never pass we lose. Which coach is going to figure this out?

Hopefully last night is not how we are going to distribute the ball the rest of the year. We have what I consider 3 shooters ( Anderson, Schuler and Stefen). Stefen played 11 minutes and Schuler only 8. They got only 2 shots each and all we did was give the ball to Huff, Nash or Webb and they drove the ball with absolutely no intentions of passing the ball. I don't care if they score 30 if you are not a threat to pass the ball they are easy to collapse on and make them make tough shots. How many layups and dunks did Weber get from poor shots or turnovers by the ones forcing the shots? Our shooters need to get into the flow of the game and get shots. When we play as a team we have win and when we play like last night and forget about who is wide open and never pass we lose. Which coach is going to figure this out?

I have a feeling many of you are going to disagree with me, but upon further review- what has Josh Schuler done in the last 10 games that has warranted more playing time? .

I don't always disagree with the criticism of Huff or Nash or Webb but all of them have earned some deserved criticism at times. But let's look at the Schuler situation more carefully. He is shooting around 36% from the field, near 26% from 3- that's less than Webb is and he is a shooter and Webb is not. Now let's look at the line up. Obviously, he is not a point guard, and believe it or not in recent games for the most part both Hooker and Webb have managed that role pretty well in both scoring and managing the game. Now, I will give everyone this point that Schuler is a capable 2, but he is not playing at Aaron Anderson's level right now- even though Anderson has been up and down this season. Now, you can say he should be playing the 3 over Huff, because Huff is selfish and turns it over, and play's reckless defense (meaning he gambles). That may be at times, but he doesn't score and create like Huff does and perhaps this is where Schuler is going to lose this argument in a big way...Huff rebounds. For a team that can't get any meaningful rebounding contributions from it's bigs it desperately needs it's guards/small forwards to rebound. Last night Troy had 10 boards. Schuler is averaging 1 a game this year. Last night there was a play in the first half where Schuler who was playing the 4, got switched defensively to guard the 3 (like player) along the baseline- to his credit he was in position on the block out but the guy he was guarding was too athletic and got an offensive rebound over him and the ensuing possession resulted in a made 3 lfor Weber State. That's a problem- he actually was in the right position but due to limitations couldn't come down with the rebound. Huff rebounds.

Schuler, has the ability to head fake, pass fake, shot fake a defender to get them leaning, however right now I think he's doing it to the point of his own detriment. Last night Nash came in at the 4 for Schuler and scored 27 points and pulled down 9 rebounds. Nash both realized that despite Bolumboy being bigger, he could attack him repeatedly with speed and quickness and athleticism. That's why they kept Nash on the floor last night. He was getting it done.

I hope at the very least Schuler gets some shots to fall and he starts to get his confidence back but this shouting about how he needs to play more- I don't get it. Jamal Webb lost his starting role to Hooker and for a while there was hemorrhagging minutes- for a guy that was accustomed in recent seasons to playing upwards of 35 minutes a game, I'm sure it came as a bit of a shock. But what has he done in recent games? He's played better...and he's playing more minutes. Last night, Nash was playing better, Huff was at the very least rebounding and Anderson was at least on the attack getting multiple defenders to commit. If Schuler really plays well for 5 minutes, he'll get 10. If he plays well for 10 minutes he'll play 20.

It's almost if some of you are insinuating that this coaching staff, would not play a player who's playing well even if it's to the teams detriment. I refuse to believe that. I believe they desperately want to win and are going to go with the guys on any given night that they feel will give them the best chance to get it done. Right now Schuler, in recent weeks does not pass the eye test or the numbers test. Again, I'm a huge fan of Josh Schuler, I believe he will get back into the mix. He has too much talent not to. Anderson has shown the ability to bounce back, Webb too, just like Schuler can and I hope will.

• Upvote 3

Doesn't matter if they figure it out - the "star" players pretty much ignore the coach and play their 1 on 4 game. It's like - hey I got my 20, where were the rest of you guys? - The coaches don't have the influence/guts/personality/team control/awareness (pick one or more) to change this. It's been this way for years, for pete's sake.

I have been saying this stuff about Schuler for a while and have been criticized by some for thinking Stefan should play over him. I obviously don't think Stefan should play the 4 but neither should Schuler.

I only saw the first half of the game last night but I'm wondering if Huff should be in less too. The team was playing so well without him out there and then he came back in and Weber went on like a 19-2 run or something. Obviously Huff can put up some of the stats but that does not mean he is efficient out there or helps the team.

I have a feeling many of you are going to disagree with me, but upon further review- what has Josh Schuler done in the last 10 games that has warranted more playing time? .

I don't always disagree with the criticism of Huff or Nash or Webb but all of them have earned some deserved criticism at times. But let's look at the Schuler situation more carefully. He is shooting around 36% from the field, near 26% from 3- that's less than Webb is and he is a shooter and Webb is not. Now let's look at the line up. Obviously, he is not a point guard, and believe it or not in recent games for the most part both Hooker and Webb have managed that role pretty well in both scoring and managing the game. Now, I will give everyone this point that Schuler is a capable 2, but he is not playing at Aaron Anderson's level right now- even though Anderson has been up and down this season. Now, you can say he should be playing the 3 over Huff, because Huff is selfish and turns it over, and play's reckless defense (meaning he gambles). That may be at times, but he doesn't score and create like Huff does and perhaps this is where Schuler is going to lose this argument in a big way...Huff rebounds. For a team that can't get any meaningful rebounding contributions from it's bigs it desperately needs it's guards/small forwards to rebound. Last night Troy had 10 boards. Schuler is averaging 1 a game this year. Last night there was a play in the first half where Schuler who was playing the 4, got switched defensively to guard the 3 (like player) along the baseline- to his credit he was in position on the block out but the guy he was guarding was too athletic and got an offensive rebound over him and the ensuing possession resulted in a made 3 lfor Weber State. That's a problem- he actually was in the right position but due to limitations couldn't come down with the rebound. Huff rebounds.

Schuler, has the ability to head fake, pass fake, shot fake a defender to get them leaning, however right now I think he's doing it to the point of his own detriment. Last night Nash came in at the 4 for Schuler and scored 27 points and pulled down 9 rebounds. Nash both realized that despite Bolumboy being bigger, he could attack him repeatedly with speed and quickness and athleticism. That's why they kept Nash on the floor last night. He was getting it done.

I hope at the very least Schuler gets some shots to fall and he starts to get his confidence back but this shouting about how he needs to play more- I don't get it. Jamal Webb lost his starting role to Hooker and for a while there was hemorrhagging minutes- for a guy that was accustomed in recent seasons to playing upwards of 35 minutes a game, I'm sure it came as a bit of a shock. But what has he done in recent games? He's played better...and he's playing more minutes. Last night, Nash was playing better, Huff was at the very least rebounding and Anderson was at least on the attack getting multiple defenders to commit. If Schuler really plays well for 5 minutes, he'll get 10. If he plays well for 10 minutes he'll play 20.

It's almost if some of you are insinuating that this coaching staff, would not play a player who's playing well even if it's to the teams detriment. I refuse to believe that. I believe they desperately want to win and are going to go with the guys on any given night that they feel will give them the best chance to get it done. Right now Schuler, in recent weeks does not pass the eye test or the numbers test. Again, I'm a huge fan of Josh Schuler, I believe he will get back into the mix. He has too much talent not to. Anderson has shown the ability to bounce back, Webb too, just like Schuler can and I hope will.

He deserves to be in there more because he plays as like a player should (TEAM) , next he has the best fundamentals of any player on this team, he doesn't force shots and takes only great shots, next he plays probably the best defense on the team as he stays in front of his guy and switches to help others that can't and stops drives and next he has a career 2 to 1 assist/turnover ratio so he protects the ball unlike most on this team and he is the only one that boxes his ass off even though guys are 6 inches taller than him. He just plays the game as it should be played and makes the others on the floor with him better. When he started at the 2 several weeks ago he averaged almost 10 a game where he should be. He is by far our best backup at the 2 and 3 but for some reason Jones buries him at the 4. Yes is shot has been off but he has proven many times over and over he is a big offensive threat when he gets shot. How is a shooter like Schuler and Stefen ever going to get into the flow when they stand wide open and selfish players never pass the ball and they only get 2- 4 shots over the course of a game. I have been a huge fan of his since the first game I saw of him cause the way he plays but now everybody wants him out cause Jones has him out of position and nobody can see everything he brings just because he is not scoring does not mean he is playing bad. At this point I can't wait till next year so maybe all these selfish players are gone and hopefully Jones can handle our future players better.

I have been saying this stuff about Schuler for a while and have been criticized by some for thinking Stefan should play over him. I obviously don't think Stefan should play the 4 but neither should Schuler.

I only saw the first half of the game last night but I'm wondering if Huff should be in less too. The team was playing so well without him out there and then he came back in and Weber went on like a 19-2 run or something. Obviously Huff can put up some of the stats but that does not mean he is efficient out there or helps the team.

I agree Huff gives up more points on defense than he scores on offense. That is a fact if you watch the game. Teams always go on big runs on us because we start playing selfish and poor shots lead to lay ups for the other team. What has Stefen done the last 2 games since everyone is riding Schuler so bad. Put Schuler at the 2 and 3 and he can play but Jones will not do this. I like Stefen a lot and we have done some really good things when Stefen and Schuler are in at the same time, both play solid and take great shots and move the ball to the open man. On another subject Jones made comment on how Nash let the game come to him last night and shared the ball very well. I don't remember Nash sharing the ball and he made drives and back to back turnovers that led to dunks at the other end at a crucial time in the game but that is ok. The problem is this team does not play consistant team ball and you never know what they are going to do and Jones does not control them at all.

I have a feeling many of you are going to disagree with me, but upon further review- what has Josh Schuler done in the last 10 games that has warranted more playing time? .................................

I'm just a Schuler fan in general. I think when he is on the floor, he makes the other 4 guys out there with him better. He works hard, plays smart, and does whatever is asked of him to the best of his ability. Whenever things are going south during a game, it always seems like it is either Schuler or Webb that can calm things down.

Regarding Troy Huff, I've often felt he gets more criticism than he probably should. He is a scorer, and his skills are best suited to putting points on the board. Sometimes he takes a crazy shot, yes. But he is shooting over 47% from the field this season. In this day and age that is exceptional for a guard. He's led the Big Sky in steals each of the last two seasons. He gambles a lot defensively, and sometimes pays the price for doing so, but he also creates multiple extra possessions every single game for UND. It is also very impressive how he rebounds for a player of his stature. He is a high risk, high reward player. I'm glad he's been on our side for the past 4 years, rather than having to face him every year.

My two cents..................

He deserves to be in there more because he plays as like a player should (TEAM) , next he has the best fundamentals of any player on this team, he doesn't force shots and takes only great shots, next he plays probably the best defense on the team as he stays in front of his guy and switches to help others that can't and stops drives and next he has a career 2 to 1 assist/turnover ratio so he protects the ball unlike most on this team and he is the only one that boxes his ass off even though guys are 6 inches taller than him. He just plays the game as it should be played and makes the others on the floor with him better. When he started at the 2 several weeks ago he averaged almost 10 a game where he should be. He is by far our best backup at the 2 and 3 but for some reason Jones buries him at the 4. Yes is shot has been off but he has proven many times over and over he is a big offensive threat when he gets shot. How is a shooter like Schuler and Stefen ever going to get into the flow when they stand wide open and selfish players never pass the ball and they only get 2- 4 shots over the course of a game. I have been a huge fan of his since the first game I saw of him cause the way he plays but now everybody wants him out cause Jones has him out of position and nobody can see everything he brings just because he is not scoring does not mean he is playing bad. At this point I can't wait till next year so maybe all these selfish players are gone and hopefully Jones can handle our future players better.

So who's going to rebound when Schuler is in the game for Huff or Anderson?

I understand what everyone is saying but we have 2 very good shooters in Stefen and Schuler and yet neither one gets enough shots during a game to get into any flow. They are both open on almost every possession but the ball does not find a way to them. They both have the ability to shoot lights out if given the chance. Schuler has the best mid range pull up jumper on this team and yet Jones does not ever have players set a screen for him. All his pull up jumpers are created on his own, he should have screens set for him several times a game for a pull up. What I like so much about Schuler is he is the most unheralded player on this team for 4 years and he just goes about his business and has put up very impressive numbers for hardly touching the ball. Even when he is not scoring he is doing the little things that most fans dont realize cause most just look at points and nothing else. I am a huge fan that just like's the way he makes the players on the court better when he is in at any position. As far a rebounds greenteam he may not get many but as the coach stated the other day he boxes his guy out so that in most cases his guy does not get the rebound either. He needs to be on the floor at least 20+ minutes and get around 6-7 shots a game.

I agree with Bincity, I think there are those on here who criticize Huff to a ridiculous point. To.piggy back on what Bin said; yes he takes some crazy shots and may gamble on D. But look at the numbers, 47% from field, 75% from free throw, 2 steals a game. We should be more critical on guys who play 15-25 minutes a game and not come out with 2 points, 0 rebs etc.

I also agree with Green Team, I too think Anderson minutes should be divided between Stefan and Shuler a but more. He plays close to 30 minutes a game....that's too much!