SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Jones

Rick

I'm nominating Matt as a candidate of the McDonalds Golden Arches Award.

About three to four times a year I get a chance to have lunch with the guys as they’re on their way to SCSU, Mankato State, U of M and the Final Five. Blaiser always has them stop at Alexandria and usually they’ll eat at the Holiday Inn, Hardees, Subway or McDonalds. Most of the time it’s at McDonalds. There have been some pretty big eaters over the years….Matt Commodore, Brad Bombardir, even Karl Goehring could pack it away. But I think the MGAA trophy has to go to Matt Jones. Matt can spend close to $15 at McDonalds in one sitting. :D And that’s after they’ve warmed up with Wendy’s home-made cookies that Blaiser brings with, and they eat them from GF to Alex. Then when they leave Alex, I send three cakes with them for dessert. As they’re boarding the bus in Alex, Blaiser will announce that they’re not going to break out the cakes till they pass St. Cloud. But Matt Greene, who is carrying the cakes says, hey, we’re eating the cake now. I’m not sure who wins the battle once they pull out of Alex, but I think in the close confines of the bus, Blaiser might have a shot. :(

The MGA Award came to mind because last week we went to Chicago to see the NAHL Windy City Showcase. All twenty one teams, including the US U-17 team were there. Matt Jones’ brother (Zach) plays for the U-17 team, so I asked the Chicago natives, Matt’s dad and Kevin Spiewaks dad, to suggest some restaurants. One of the places Matt’s dad suggested was the Chicago Chop House, which we ate at on Friday night. The Chop House was voted the “best steakhouse in America”, and has pictures of Al Capone and others on the wall, and it is a very good place to eat. But, just for my wife and I, the bill came to just over $100. And we limited ourselves to the lower end of the menu. I'm thnking they still have to pay a little "fee" to Vito to stay in business. :) So, I’m wondering, how much would it cost Mr. Jones to take Matt to the Chicago Chop House for dinner? ;)

BTW, I got to watch Zach Jones play and he is a very good defenseman for the U-17 team. Matt says that Zach has better skills than he had at that same age.

I’m not sure if there is a better defenseman in college hockey than Matt Jones. The reason I say that is because, I can’t remember the last time Matt Jones made a mistake that cost the team a goal, and he's on the ice all the time. As you watch the other top defensemen in the league that might have more points, they might impress you, but you can also remember the mistakes they made that led to a goal for the other team. That rarely happens with Matt.