SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky signees for 2013 - How does UND size up?

Nodak78

Lots of transfers on some teams. I think it's interesting to look at the geographical strategies used by teams. Cali teams stick in their neighborhood while mt schools do Montana and pick another state or two to pipeline.

I like out class. The only names I recognize are a few that went to Montana instead of here like favors.

And how does the "returned missionaries previously signed at Weber State" deal work? Are they gone for their redshirt year? Do they burn a year of eligibility?

I don't think that missionary years or military service count as part of the 4 years of eligibility over 5 years rule. I've read that before but don't have time to find it in the regulations right now.

I made a similar comment back during the season about the large number of Grizzly and Bobcat players from Montana high schools. This last week I was amazed again that, between the two schools, they signed 19 recruits from Montana. Between SU and us, we signed four ND recruits and I don't think there were any ND players signing with a DI school outside of ND, were there? The population of Montana is larger than ND's but not significantly larger - it is unrearl the difference in talent produced in MT high schools vs. North Dakota.

Montana beat our ladies handily at the Betty this afternoon - with 11 Montana girls on their BB roster! We have four ND players on our roster, SU has one!

Are ND high schools not producing the athletic talent that they should?

Participation is way down and sports like hockey and soccer take a lot of really good athletes away from football and basketball. I know of a lot of guys my age in grand forks that would have been great football players but played soccer or trained for hockey instead. There is a boat load of talent that is either untapped or undeveloped in North Dakota and participation numbers are shrinking.

Central had over 100 kids in the program when I played. It's not even close to that now.....

Participation is way down and sports like hockey and soccer take a lot of really good athletes away from football and basketball. I know of a lot of guys my age in grand forks that would have been great football players but played soccer or trained for hockey instead. There is a boat load of talent that is either untapped or undeveloped in North Dakota and participation numbers are shrinking.

Central had over 100 kids in the program when I played. It's not even close to that now.....

i can second the soccer drain, when i was at fargo south i would say that soccer considerably outcompeted football for the best athletes.