SiouxSports.com Forum

Holes to fill/fix for 2013

geaux_sioux

I say screw going the JUCO QB route. Look at the guy that went to PSU who broke Aaron Rogers' records. He got beat out by a true freshman that wasn't nearly the recruit that Bartels and Mollberg were.

On one hand I wouldn't mind giving the keys to the program to Mollberg and Bartels and have them gain maximum experience and lead the team for four years. If it worked out that would be fantastic to have a face of the program type of QB for a long tenure. On the other hand getting a good FBS dropdown like Hanson to be a bridge to the future QBs would be nice with the WRs we have next year.

For comparisons sake Shortell was ranked 22nd/58th by rivals/scout and was a 3 star recruit while ESPN gave him a 74 grade and 2 stars. Hanson was ranked 34th by scout and a 3 star with ESPN giving him a 74 grade. Ironically Joe Mollberg also was graded as a 74 by ESPN with 2 stars (impressive for a guy from Detroit Lakes to be on ESPNs radar.)

For us to get a dropdown they better be very good or it won't be worth it since Bartels and Mollberg are very good young QBs and either could develop into a cornerstone for years to come.

I think it may be a red flag that he only had an offer from UM.... Hanson had offers from Iowa Wisconsin UNC Missouri and other good schools.

If either of the freshmen can play I'm all for it. I've heard enough good things about both that I am pretty excited. However, after the season Hanson had, UND could realistically come into the conversation of a FBS looking to transfer. If the phone rings, the coaches at least have to answer. Maybe a transfer qb could bring a DB buddy with him.

When is the last time that North Dakota had:

A) A freshman starting at QB

and/or

B) A 4 year starter at QB

This goes back a bit but 1994 Kevin Klancher. Took over after Clay Wagner got hurt in the first Sioux-Bison game in the Fargodome. I believe he started a couple games after that.

This goes back a bit but 1994 Kevin Klancher. Took over after Clay Wagner got hurt in the first Sioux-Bison game in the Fargodome. I believe he started a couple games after that.

The only caveat is that Wagner took over again once he was healthy. I don't think there's been a freshman who actually won the starting job (as opposed to taking over after the starter was injured), at least not since I've been following UND football.