SiouxSports.com Forum

Pondering Fall Camp Battles and Intrigues

UND-FB-FAN

Here are some questions I feel each position group will face this fall camp and on into the season. I thought it would be interesting to hear opinions and possible answers to each.

QB

1. How much better will the quarterback position be this year from last year?

2. Will Braden Hanson run away with the job?

3. And will the playcalling this season be more wide open than last season? – Because it’s difficult to put up big passing numbers and produce explosive plays with only a conservative running game as the focus.

RB

1. Will Jake Miller be the feature back, or will there be a fairly equal 3-back rotation?

2. Any chance either freshman, Romon Bridges orPJ Sparks, makes an impact and sees consistent playing time (offense or special teams)? Bridges is listed as RB but plays a lot of receiver.

3. Miller is listed at only 170 lbs, can he take a whole season of Big Sky competition and stay healty?

FB

1. Big question, who plays more at FB: Adler or Magstadt? One of them, or rotation of both?

WR

1. What will be the frequency of three, four, and five WR sets?

2. Does Jameer Jackson live up to the spring ball hype?

3. Will there be two or more receivers with more than 500 yards receiving?

4. Does Hardin deserve preseason all-Big Sky recognition and make the postseason all-Big Sky team?

TE

1. What will be the effectiveness of Seth Nichols in the passing game?

2. Does Adler or Grant contribute at the position in terms of receiving?

OL

1. Is the offensive line set with LT Deneui, LG Kleason, C McGurran, RG Lynch, RT Gillson, or will there be a surprise with one of the younger players: Shea Walker, Darren Peteson, Sean Meehan, Brandon Anderson, or Ross Windfeld?

DL

1. Does Ross Brenneman end up on postseason all-Big Sky team?

2. Which backup will look the most impressive and get the most reps: Spencer Cummings, EJ Welch, Seth Stanchick, Ben Henson, or Kyle Woodsmall?

LB

1. Who are the OLB starters: Dominique Bennett, Cordero Finley, Damon Andrews?

2. Who starts at the two MLB spots: Ben Peters, Garrison Goodman, Brian Otto, Derrick Goard?

3. Who is the most effective tackler and leads the team in tackles?

4. Who is the most impressive pass rusher?

DB

1. Who are the two starting CBs: Daryl Brown, Dwayne Brown, Chris Hall, Chavon Mackey?

2. Who leads the team in interceptions and is it more than last year (team high 2 last year)?

3. Will one of the two JUCO safeties, Clordion Kennedy or Will Lewis, start?

4. Is Javen Butler familiar enough with the defense and in good enough shape to make an impact this season?

Special Teams

1. Does Zeb Miller kick a better percentage than last year?

2. Does Miller improve his kicking distance, both field goals and kickoffs?

3. Does Brett Cameron end up being good enough to end up on postseason all-Big Sky team?

4. Who is the best return man? Jer Garmin, Eric Mersereau, Romon Bridges?

5. With lose of Broc Bellmore; is field goal block unit still as effective?

Some questions relate to fall camp, while others are purely speculative; however, this is still a fun way to talk UND football as we wait for fall camp and the season.

• Upvote 1

Here are some questions I feel each position group will face this fall camp and on into the season. I thought it would be interesting to hear opinions and possible answers to each.

QB

1. How much better will the quarterback position be this year from last year?

2. Will Braden Hanson run away with the job?

3. And will the playcalling this season be more wide open than last season? – Because it’s difficult to put up big passing numbers and produce explosive plays with only a conservative running game as the focus.

RB

1. Will Jake Miller be the feature back, or will there be a fairly equal 3-back rotation?

2. Any chance either freshman, Romon Bridges orPJ Sparks, makes an impact and sees consistent playing time (offense or special teams)? Bridges is listed as RB but plays a lot of receiver.

3. Miller is listed at only 170 lbs, can he take a whole season of Big Sky competition and stay healty?

FB

1. Big question, who plays more at FB: Adler or Magstadt? One of them, or rotation of both?

WR

1. What will be the frequency of three, four, and five WR sets?

2. Does Jameer Jackson live up to the spring ball hype?

3. Will there be two or more receivers with more than 500 yards receiving?

4. Does Hardin deserve preseason all-Big Sky recognition and make the postseason all-Big Sky team?

TE

1. What will be the effectiveness of Seth Nichols in the passing game?

2. Does Adler or Grant contribute at the position in terms of receiving?

OL

1. Is the offensive line set with LT Deneui, LG Kleason, C McGurran, RG Lynch, RT Gillson, or will there be a surprise with one of the younger players: Shea Walker, Darren Peteson, Sean Meehan, Brandon Anderson, or Ross Windfeld?

DL

1. Does Ross Brenneman end up on postseason all-Big Sky team?

2. Which backup will look the most impressive and get the most reps: Spencer Cummings, EJ Welch, Seth Stanchick, Ben Henson, or Kyle Woodsmall?

LB

1. Who are the OLB starters: Dominique Bennett, Cordero Finley, Damon Andrews?

2. Who starts at the two MLB spots: Ben Peters, Garrison Goodman, Brian Otto, Derrick Goard?

3. Who is the most effective tackler and leads the team in tackles?

4. Who is the most impressive pass rusher?

DB

1. Who are the two starting CBs: Daryl Brown, Dwayne Brown, Chris Hall, Chavon Mackey?

2. Who leads the team in interceptions and is it more than last year (team high 2 last year)?

3. Will one of the two JUCO safeties, Clordion Kennedy or Will Lewis, start?

4. Is Javon Butler familiar enough with the defense and in good enough shape to make an impact this season?

Special Teams

1. Does Zeb Miller kick a better percentage than last year?

2. Does Miller improve his kicking distance, both field goals and kickoffs?

3. Does Brett Cameron end up being good enough to end up on postseason all-Big Sky team?

4. Who is the best return man? Jer Garmin, Eric Mersereau, Romon Bridges?

5. With lose of Broc Bellmore; is field goal block unit still as effective?

Some questions relate to fall camp, while others are purely speculative; however, this is still a fun way to talk UND football as we wait for fall camp and the season.

Thats alot to digest,

QB

I don't have symbol for infinity on my keyboard but if I did I would use it to describe the QB improvement.

Hansen won't run away with the job, he doesn't have to, he already did that in the spring. It's a battle for the backup spot.

If play calling doesn't open up then we should look for a new OC.

RB

Jake Miller proved he's the man last year. I bet he gets 50-60% of the carries. I think Sutton will lower the boom and change it up. Garmen should improve much like Miller did from FR to SO years and he should be the X factor. The other RBs won't see much until an injury occurs (if one does). I'd like to see some PJ Sparks but don't know if it's in the cards this year other than special teams.

I'm assuming that Miller will avoid big hits like last year and stay pretty healthy. He's a crafty runner that flows with the hit.

FB

I wouldn't be surprised if the new freshman FB gets his shirt pulled.

WR

We should spread it out more to use our athletes at WR. Jackson should be a beast and bring the pain to those poor smaller DBs. I'll put money on 4 WRs with 500+ yards each. Hardin looks razor sharp in the spring and that should carry over with a good QB for once.

TE

Nichols should add a nice receiving aspect to the position now that he is experienced but I have a felling that Adler will see alot of time and the ball this year.

OL

The only OL at risk is Gillson, he's the weak link. The interior is good and DEEP. I hope Windfelt can step up and contribute at RT. Anderson looks like a stud but plays OG where we have a bunch of talent and experience.

DL

Brennemen will be huge this year. Spencer Cummings, EJ Welch, and Seth Stanchick will all make major contributions this year. Devin Benjamin is the MVP of the defense and we don't hear enough about him since he does the dirty work. He and EJ will anchor the defense and probably won't get the publicity.

LB

Bennett and Andrews should start but there will be alot of rotation with all of the talent at OLB.

My bet is that Peters and Goodman start with Goard being the third guy but watch out for Rattell.

Leading tackler could be any MLB but ill go with Peters.

Bennett is far and away the man at the pass rush, a high ankle sprain killed him last year, he could make some serious noise off the edge if he's healthy.

DB

Browns at CB.

I have no idea on the safeties until I see the new guys and how Butler looks now(he was impressive the little he was playing last fall)

Spec

Miller and Cameron should be rock solid no worries here.

Bridges is my pick on returns.

Block Party will live on with new guys stepping up. Welch should be perfect for it.

QB

1. How much better will the quarterback position be this year from last year? Vastly improved

2. Will Braden Hanson run away with the job? Yes, I believe he already has

3. And will the playcalling this season be more wide open than last season? Once Hanson proves himself which I think he will than it will definitely open up.

RB

1. Will Jake Miller be the feature back, or will there be a fairly equal 3-back rotation? I think it will be Miller but Garman and Sutton will get their share of carries.

2. Any chance either freshman, Romon Bridges orPJ Sparks, makes an impact and sees consistent playing time (offense or special teams)? Bridges is listed as RB but plays a lot of receiver. I would love to see PJ Sparks get some touches just don't see it happening without an injury.

3. Miller is listed at only 170 lbs, can he take a whole season of Big Sky competition and stay healty? Sure hope so.

FB

1. Big question, who plays more at FB: Adler or Magstadt? One of them, or rotation of both? I think Adler will end up with more of the reps at FB.

WR

1. What will be the frequency of three, four, and five WR sets? Hopefully very frequently.
  2. Does Jameer Jackson live up to the spring ball hype? Not this year. I believe he will be good but he was hyped up a lot this spring.
  3. Will there be two or more receivers with more than 500 yards receiving? I can see 3 with Hardin, Ivery, and McGill.
  4. Does Hardin deserve preseason all-Big Sky recognition and make the postseason all-Big Sky team? Yes

TE

1. What will be the effectiveness of Seth Nichols in the passing game? I think he will be effective, he seems like a good pass catcher.
  2. Does Adler or Grant contribute at the position in terms of receiving? I really like Adler and think he will contribute in the passing game.

OL

1. Is the offensive line set with LT Deneui, LG Kleason, C McGurran, RG Lynch, RT Gillson, or will there be a surprise with one of the younger players: Shea Walker, Darren Peteson, Sean Meehan, Brandon Anderson, or Ross Windfeld? I can see Shea Walker and/or Brandon Anderson emerge.

DL

1. Does Ross Brenneman end up on postseason all-Big Sky team? I think so.
  2. Which backup will look the most impressive and get the most reps: Spencer Cummings, EJ Welch, Seth Stanchick, Ben Henson, or Kyle Woodsmall? Spencer Cummings for sure.

LB

1. Who are the OLB starters: Dominique Bennett, Cordero Finley, Damon Andrews? I will go with Bennett and Finley.
  2. Who starts at the two MLB spots: Ben Peters, Garrison Goodman, Brian Otto, Derrick Goard? Peters and Goodman.
  3. Who is the most effective tackler and leads the team in tackles? I am going to go with Goodman
  4. Who is the most impressive pass rusher? Ross Brenneman

DB

1. Who are the two starting CBs: Daryl Brown, Dwayne Brown, Chris Hall, Chavon Mackey? By the end of the year both the Browns.
  2. Who leads the team in interceptions and is it more than last year (team high 2 last year)? Dwayne Brown and yes.
  3. Will one of the two JUCO safeties, Clordion Kennedy or Will Lewis, start? I think so and I think it will be Clordion Kennedy.
  4. Is Javen Butler familiar enough with the defense and in good enough shape to make an impact this season? Yes, at least I hope so.

Special Teams

1. Does Zeb Miller kick a better percentage than last year? Yes
  2. Does Miller improve his kicking distance, both field goals and kickoffs? Yes
  3. Does Brett Cameron end up being good enough to end up on postseason all-Big Sky team? No
  4. Who is the best return man? Jer Garman, Eric Mersereau, Romon Bridges? Garman
  5. With lose of Broc Bellmore; is field goal block unit still as effective? Yes, Shea Walker will step up.