SiouxSports.com Forum

More then just a name. It is the spirit of the young and old.

Jeff Panzer, Dean Blaise Jay Panzer Dave Lennon, Luke S. What do they all have in common? </u>They all are people I looked up to; however, they are all gone. People may play the game, but it is the name that has been here for a very long time. Ask anyone who watches sioux sports even those who don't and they can tell you who the Sioux are. Ask them who played for the sioux 8 years before and who scored to win games. No one will remember. Why should they. Fans go because they are a community built by the tradition. Tradition- A way of life supporting one another and knowing a face just by seeing the mascot.

Tradition has nothing to do with how teams do.

I have sioux posters and news papers from sioux games wins and losses from&nbsp; the last&nbsp;12-16 years. Not just sioux chapion newspapers. When you say alum mean more it is hard to amagion. Just because people went to a school does't make it who they are. Many people go for a degree. Not because it is all they have known. I stayed awake many nights lissoning to games on the radio, because my parents could not afford to buy tickets to games. In yet I I was the one that talked none stop about the sioux. I still do. In an interview for a National scholarship&nbsp; I said the University of North Dakota had been what/ who I looked up to. No not a person, but a university. The people who worked together throught the 97 flood and all the blizzerds.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>So is a person who plays four years more3 important then a group of people who work to egther. Dean Robuck and Dean Blaise were Sioux citizens for long periods of times. They and the people of North Dakota represent the university; not the students or even past students. Jeff Panzer is&nbsp;and will always&nbsp;have a influence on my life; however, nothing can top seeing sioux&nbsp;gerseys at a Wyoming cowboy football game when they are playing Coldorado state or even UNLV.

So for those who want to ask What good a the Sioux without sports; I say memories, and a way of life. Don't worry there are people who love the Sioux more then because of sports. There has been great leaders that have done great things above sports. It is not a name; but a way of life. Sports are just sports.

1. Sorry Dale. Just wondering Did you beg your parents at 6 to See Dale get his face redone after the big Championship game. Did you go to the airport to met the team after every away game. Again people do not mater as much as the ideas they hold. Do you really think Luke Schleusner came back to the college because he knew players on the current team. Not he came back because of the tradition. Tradition believe it or not does die withevery change.

How many of you know players before they arrive at North Dakota. It is because they come here that you care. When you see a Sioux jersey do you see your face light up? I am in my first year of college and even know when I see people with sioux jersys on I say " Hey You are one of us. " I am very shy and have a small self asteem because of being bullied after moving to Wyoming when I was growing up. when I started to got to an away game each year( not in hockey) I would feel at ease and save. Not because I knew the people, but because I knew from a peaceful childhood in GrandForks it was safe.

Again Is sportas that important or is the name that people like I see as family matter more.

I would agree that the Sioux would need to go if I knew I could have the tradition of rival games like NDSU, SOUTH DAKOTA AND MINN. again. I am not saying it must stay perminit; however, I am saying it would be nice to dedicate a game in each sport to The history having players wearing Sioux jerseys and pulling out old highligh videos of the sioux.

For those who say it is the name that is stopping the rivals think again. The Sioux are just renewing the rival after how many years of having none. Name problem? I loved the Potato Bowl celerbration. How many alum were in Grand Forks for the bond fires where the engalsted is right now. Sorry to be making a big fuss about this, but if you are all going to say things like alum have more right, rivals will die, or it is just not worth the fight think again.

By the way. I recall four children cheering on the track for all the games for a few years before the Program raised prices for kids club and regular tickes. I was one of them. In the rain snow wind ; it did not mater. Did I know the players names no. I know the picture on the jursey and I was prode of it. Only other person I could say the same about is Sioux spirit man(What I called him when I was little)

/pics32/640/KF/KFSCDDOAUSELMLE.20111128194149.JPG

Jeff Panzer, Dean Blaise Jay Panzer Dave Lennon, Luke S. What do they all have in common? </u>They all are people I looked up to; however, they are all gone. People may play the game, but it is the name that has been here for a very long time. Ask anyone who watches sioux sports even those who don't and they can tell you who the Sioux are. Ask them who played for the sioux 8 years before and who scored to win games. No one will remember. Why should they. Fans go because they are a community built by the tradition. Tradition- A way of life supporting one another and knowing a face just by seeing the mascot.

Tradition has nothing to do with how teams do.

I have sioux posters and news papers from sioux games wins and losses from&nbsp; the last&nbsp;12-16 years. Not just sioux chapion newspapers. When you say alum mean more it is hard to amagion. Just because people went to a school does't make it who they are. Many people go for a degree. Not because it is all they have known. I stayed awake many nights lissoning to games on the radio, because my parents could not afford to buy tickets to games. In yet I I was the one that talked none stop about the sioux. I still do. In an interview for a National scholarship&nbsp; I said the University of North Dakota had been what/ who I looked up to. No not a person, but a university. The people who worked together throught the 97 flood and all the blizzerds.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>So is a person who plays four years more3 important then a group of people who work to egther. Dean Robuck and Dean Blaise were Sioux citizens for long periods of times. They and the people of North Dakota represent the university; not the students or even past students. Jeff Panzer is&nbsp;and will always&nbsp;have a influence on my life; however, nothing can top seeing sioux&nbsp;gerseys at a Wyoming cowboy football game when they are playing Coldorado state or even UNLV.

So for those who want to ask What good a the Sioux without sports; I say memories, and a way of life. Don't worry there are people who love the Sioux more then because of sports. There has been great leaders that have done great things above sports. It is not a name; but a way of life. Sports are just sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

• Upvote 2

Once a Sioux always A Sioux. Take the Name; I still will call out the sioux at every event involving the university or not. I still will wear sioux clothing to sport events not containing the university. Nothing not even a death threat could stop my spirit.

Great video. I can see why the native would want to change the name because of fans like you who can not act respectful towards fellow North Dakota fans at heart. Say what you want; nothing effected King Jr. and nothing will affect me. Again thank you for showing the real reason why the name must go not just because of sports.

Great video. I can see why the native would want to change the name because of fans like you who can not act respectful towards fellow North Dakota fans at heart. Say what you want; nothing effected King Jr. and nothing will affect me. Again thank you for showing the real reason why the name must go not just because of sports.

And what about "fans" like you that are willing to keep the name at all costs and who think the consequences are "a small price to pay"? :silly: YOU, my friend, are the problem, NOT me. Your incoherent rantings make all of us look silly. :angry:

Fighingsioux4life. You may want to replace your name. Some one might mistake you as a Sioux fan.

You might want to learn the whole story. Fightingsioux4life, along with most people on this board, are fans of the University of North Dakota and fans of the Fighting Sioux. Most have been fans much longer than you. Yet they have realized that the sanctions put in place by the NCAA because of the continued use of the nickname will damage the Athletic Department and the University of North Dakota. Your heart may be in the right place, but your grasp of the situation is very lacking.

I am not questioning your loyalty at all. You are giving you opion so you must be loyal; however, speak with facts not with dirty comments. The fact is many of us just want to see traditions continue and do not want to see our teams go dead. I agree with these ideas. I do feel as though people are giving in to much when they want to call us the knights. (HIGH SCHOOL IN TOWN) We do have a few years to decide right. I say we take that time to move on and move as a community not as villons. (spelling I know)

Why can't the community vote for the new name. Why let the alum. who may or may not be in Grand Forks or those who watch games vote and not the true loyal fans like you and I

Again There are loyal fans who have been around many years. I am sick and tired or hearing older fans say they are the only ones who know anything. We are in college and have grown with the name issue our whole lives. Don't forget. Letting the sioux go would be hard for everyone and we may need to do it; however, is it not only fair to let everyone have a say. Not only about letting the name go, but also in what the new traditions will be?

I am not questioning your loyalty at all. You are giving you opion so you must be loyal; however, speak with facts not with dirty comments. The fact is many of us just want to see traditions continue and do not want to see our teams go dead. I agree with these ideas. I do feel as though people are giving in to much when they want to call us the knights. (HIGH SCHOOL IN TOWN) We do have a few years to decide right. I say we take that time to move on and move as a community not as villons. (spelling I know)

Why can't the community vote for the new name. Why let the alum. who may or may not be in Grand Forks or those who watch games vote and not the true loyal fans like you and I

There has been no decision made on how a new name would be chosen. The NCAA requires that the Fighting Sioux nickname goes away to be removed from the sanction list. Then people can start talking about a new name. The important thing right now is to realize that keeping the nickname will hurt the school and the teams. That is a bad thing. People that actually care about the school and the teams need to realize that. You can still wear your Sioux stuff any time you want. You can even yell Sioux. But it can't stay as the official name and they have to quit using the name and logo on uniforms, in programs, etc.

Picking a new name is an entirely different story. There are different opinions about who should be involved in that. Students, alumni and employees are probably the first groups. Season ticket holders are another group that should be considered, since they put money into the program to help it run. After that it gets more difficult. Not everyone is going to be supportive and do what is best for the school, so it is hard to know where to draw the lines. But as I said, we aren't near that point right now. That may be 2 or more years away. We will worry about it when the time comes. Right now it is important to do what is right for the school and the teams.

82SiouxGuy, love you commites. Now that is the North Dakota way. I am wondering though, Why is eveyone saying only alum. have they true voice in the name change if the decision had not been made yet. The commit only drives fans my age to fight harder for what we believe in. Commits like your last one and ones like the ones made by DAVE make me feel like the North Dakota tradition CAN LIVE ON PAST THE NAME.

By the way I talked to Jeff on the game chat site last year in a privite chat and he himself shows that Fans can and do stay true for ever. I onty hope that I to can move past the changes and stay a fan like Jeff. Either way. I am so excited to say I am ayear away from coming back to Grand Forks to fullfill my life dream to be able to call myself UND STUDENT.