SiouxSports.com Forum

INTANGIBLES

fightin'su

All of the non-football factors favor us. 1) UNA has to do the traveling 2) It's going to be sub-freezing all the time their here 3) No UNA players have played in a domed stadium or 4) on artifical turf !!! Therefore my prediction is Fighting Sioux 24 - Lions 16. Now, based on that, IF UNA wins the game they would clearly have to be the superior team and deserving to play for the Nat. Championship. No member of the Sioux family (coaches, players, fans) would feel that we got "upset by a lesser team". Lets all hope it's clean, hard hitting, well played game and that both teams players walk off the field injury free afterwards. Thats all I have except to say......................GO SIOUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting at the beginning of this year and even through this year could any of us truly have predicated the Sioux being in this position. I would have to think that the same goes for the Lions. Either way this should be a great game and both teams have had one tremendous season.

All of the non-football factors favor us. 1) UNA has to do the traveling 2) It's going to be sub-freezing all the time their here 3) No UNA players have played in a domed stadium or 4) on artifical turf !!! Therefore my prediction is Fighting Sioux 24 - Lions 16. Now, based on that, IF UNA wins the game they would clearly have to be the superior team and deserving to play for the Nat. Championship. No member of the Sioux family (coaches, players, fans) would feel that we got "upset by a lesser team". Lets all hope it's clean, hard hitting, well played game and that both teams players walk off the field injury free afterwards. Thats all I have except to say......................GO SIOUX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all fairness, number 2 doesn't count. It may be freezing here, but they play indoors.

The news this morning about the drug tests is disappointing, to say the least. I would think that those young men understand how important it is, especially during the season and the playoffs, to not do any kind of drugs. Not when these random drug tests are always a possibility. But you are always going to have the kind of guys that think they are above the law, "it's random, they won't test me", etc. I'd be willing to bet every team has a few, unfortunately.

If I read the article correctly, it's not even confirmed that the two guys were football players. Then I read Coach Hudspeth's comments, and it sounds like he knows it is. As Coach said though, we have good depth. If this truly is a championship team, the loss of two guys won't make a difference. The rest of the team will pull together. The only way I'd worry is if one of the two is Will Hall :D .

Good luck Sioux! Go Lions!!!

Chris H. in Florence, AL

That happen to us with our starting QB the Friday before the championship game against UNA in 1994 and we lost 16-10. No doubt if he would have kept himself clean and played , the outcome would have been different.

I went to that game. It rained the entire time, and was about 38 degrees. That's what we Alabama boys call miserable. But it was fun, nonetheless. We stormed the field after the game was over to congratulate the Lions.

Who knows if the different QB for Kingsville would have made a difference in the outcome. He may have. In my biased opinion, the 93-94-95 Lions were the greatest DII teams ever assembled, and Kingsville played us the closest of any team in that three year span. I didn't realize that TAMUK didn't have their starter that day. Too bad the teams couldn't have played in better weather conditions, with TAMUK having their QB. Would have been another great game, I'm sure.

It would have made a difference because he ran the option with ease. The backup did a good job, but he wasn't as good on the option.

You have to remember though, during the championship run the Lions ran the triple option. So, the defense saw it every day in practice. They knew how to play against and stop the option, and had the athletes to do it.

I wish he would have gotten to play. I think the rain made as much of a difference that day as who was playing QB, though. Who knows, maybe on a sunny day TAMUK would have blown us out, or vice versa. Just impossible to say.

I think we both can say those teams that UNA and TAMUK had were possibly one of the best in each schools history. Quite a few Javelinas that played in that game found themselves as starters on NFL rosters in the years follwoing that. I know UNA had a few too.

Oh yeah, no doubt, they were two great teams. I would say the "best" team was the 1995 team, simply because the large core of players that made up the 93-94-95 squads were seniors in '95. They blew out EVERYBODY that year, including Pittsburg State in the championship game 27-7. The '94 team surely has an argument. TAMUK was better than the PSU team we played in '95. The '94 team also went to Youngstown, Ohio, and took Youngstate State right down to the wire, getting beat 17-14. Actually had a chance to win the game in the final moments, but couldn't get in the endzone. YSU was defending champs and #3 in the nation at the time.

FWIW, Ronald McKinnon, linebacker for Arizona is still playing in the NFL, and having a good career. He is the only Lion I know of from those years still in the league. Anybody from TAMUK?

I would imagine that if the two players are suspended, it would make little difference on the game. Unless of course it is a "superstar."

IMO, it kind of puts a black eye on this UNA team. Maybe it'll just be some third string player and maybe it'll be a starter, but this will make people wonder. Either way 3 out of 6 is a scary %. Even after the reduction 2 of 6 is scary. I'm not saying I think the rest of the team is doing drugs, but it is odd that the ones that are using were tested. I wonder if it was illegal drugs or I'm guessing NCAA "illegal" performance enhancing drugs. Will the NCAA test even more of the team now?