SiouxSports.com Forum

Attendance

Matt

A good analysis here of the attendance numbers- http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_ATTENDANCE.pdf

As has been discussed extensively here, UND has a long way to go. Bison Dan-as promised, I give ndsu credit for the improvement this year. Although it isn't reflected in the ranking, the overall improvement from last year was significant.

That's my pet peeve. "Oh yeah we averaged 40 percent over capacity" Well then that's not your capacity is it!!!! It's like they don't know what the term capacity is.....They should call it sorted by number of officially recognized "seats" available.
I suspect standing room isn't included in "seating capacity" numbers. I kind of like allowing that overage. It is a good indicator to show the need for expansion.

Most impressive are those teams that aren't very good, yet are well supported.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp?year=2011

This has all divisions remember FBS teams have to have a minimum of 15,000 (what a joke of a rule!!)

Idaho 11,980 (I am thinking the loss of Boise St to the MWC hurts this number)

Kent St 11,587

The winnner...........EASTERN MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4267!! Only 25 FCS teams did worse than this!

How about this..MSU-Mankato 4290! Or this..Concordia-Moorhead 4685. Yes Concorida had bigger avg attendance than FBS Eastern Michigan. As they say on ESPN..C'mon man!!!!

• Upvote 2

so next year, its about which comes first - the chicken (quality opponents) or the egg (wins). Nowhere to go but up.

When we moved to DI, I assumed that North Dakota would experience an attendance boost simply due to the novelty of DI just like NDSU, SDSU, and UNC did. I believe USD did as well. As far as I know, North Dakota is the only former NCC school that saw a decline in attendendance after the the move to DI. Given the poor attendance of the games against #16 Cal Poly in 2009 and against #24 USD for the defacto GWC championship game in 2011, I've come to the conclusion that Grand Forks-area sports fans don't care who UND is playing, just that they are winning games........................I think it would also boost attendance alot if the football players could skate................. ???

When we moved to DI, I assumed that North Dakota would experience an attendance boost simply due to the novelty of DI just like NDSU, SDSU, and UNC did. I believe USD did as well. As far as I know, North Dakota is the only former NCC school that saw a decline in attendendance after the the move to DI. Given the poor attendance of the games against #16 Cal Poly in 2009 and against #24 USD for the defacto GWC championship game in 2011, I've come to the conclusion that Grand Forks-area sports fans don't care who UND is playing, just that they are winning games........................I think it would also boost attendance alot if the football players could skate................. ???
Isn't that why they bring in recruits on home hockey weekends?
  • Upvote 1