SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Defense

GFG

I know it's early in the season, but what is with the struggles of the defense? There have been so many missed assignments and people failing to pick up their man around the net its ridiculous. They're allowing people to stand in front of the net without challenging them either, very unlike a normal UND defense. It looks eerily like Minnesota's had the past 3 seasons, and that's what caused minnesota to lose so many games.

Like I said, I know it's early, but unless Hak gets things righted quick it will be a long season for the Sioux. Minnesota is perfect example of that. There is no way their offense can make up for what the defense has been like so far.

Some good points. Hasn't been a great start in the defensive end for the Sioux. Got to remember that the forwards are huge in the defensive end as well as the defensemen. Probably the most overlooked defensive man in the zone is the weak side wing. A couple of times this year you've seen both defensemen and the center get caught below the red line which means the weak side wing needs to suck down and help in front. Even though it isn't supposed to be his man, he's got to get down and help out. Hak pointed this out a couple of weeks ago against BC.

Its only October, but you are correct sir, it has to get better.

• Upvote 1

I think some of the reason for the bad play is that UND is giving up way too many opportunities in the slot. Also, last night Brad Eidsness was God awful, on the turnover at the blue line that was scored by Lee Eids didn't even look like he was awake. Also, it appeared that Eids was on his knees before the opposition had even shot the puck. There were also way too many turnovers last night, you can not keep turning the puck over like the Sioux have this season so far and expect to win.

I know Defense is supposed to be a strong point this season but Forbort has to pick it up, he has been brutal questionable all season long... I am sure that these issues will be addressed and I expect them to get better as the season goes on. Also, I saw some great things last night as well. Mark MacMillan's goal was a thing of beauty. Mattson seems like he is a taller version of Genoway with a really good shot.

Edited by Goon

I think some of the reason for the bad play is that UND is giving up way too many opportunities in the slot. Also, last night Brad Eidsness was God awful, on the turnover at the blue line that was scored by Lee Eids didn't even look like he was awake. Also, it appeared that Eids was on his knees before the opposition had even shot the puck. There were also way too many turnovers last night, you can not keep turning the puck over like the Sioux have this season so far and expect to win.

I know Defense is supposed to be a strong point this season but Forbort has to pick it up, he has been brutal questionable all season long... I am sure that these issues will be addressed and I expect them to get better as the season goes on. Also, I saw some great things last night as well. Mark MacMillan's goal was a thing of beauty. Mattson seems like he is a taller version of Genoway with a really good shot.

Do you think it is at all possible that the forwards who departed early were a much bigger part of the defensive scheme for this team than people originally thought? I've seen Lamoureaux struggle at picking up his guys a few times when they go into the slot, which is something that a guy like Malone never let happen. Malone was a beast in the defensive zone

I think the Sioux really miss out on the good forwards they lost because a lot of the time they weren't playing hockey in their own end.

I don't think this point can be overemphasized. We will be playing more time in our defensive zone this year than we did last season and that means more chances for the other team to jump on any mistakes we make.

I didn't get to see the game on Friday but too many goals were scored on the rush tonight. The defenseman did their job but the forwards were either not coming back hard enough or they weren't picking up the open guys which led to open shots in the slot. The d-men would poke check the puck away from the first forward but the trailers would be uncovered because the back checking forwards were nowhere to be found. We need Dell or Eidsness to start stealing some games for us otherwise we could dig ourselves into a pretty deep hole.