SiouxSports.com Forum

red shirts

spookie

I guess if the freshmen are going to be 3's, I would just as soon see them redshirt. Would love it if this was Jake Miller's freshman year. I know they were short at that position when it wasn't sure with Sutton's situation, but in the end, he was only out a brief time. Unless the other depth is not good at all, why not redshirt and have them when things really start to count.

I guess if the freshmen are going to be 3's, I would just as soon see them redshirt. Would love it if this was Jake Miller's freshman year. I know they were short at that position when it wasn't sure with Sutton's situation, but in the end, he was only out a brief time. Unless the other depth is not good at all, why not redshirt and have them when things really start to count.

I agree--hope all red shirt. I suspect Garman would get a lot of action as a returner, but there should be others who can fill that role. However, if either Sutton or Miller become seriously injured, he would probably be needed at RB.

With regard to Jackson and the receiver positions, I see Hardin, Townsend and McGill as the top three receivers, with Anderson, Daggett, Ivery and Heimler battling it out for the fourth and fifth spots. While Jackson may very well be an improvement over some (maybe all) of the group competing for the fourth and fifth spots, it's probably not so great of an improvement to warrant lifting his red shirt.

I think we need to trust the coaching staff on this. They know what it is best for the team. A lot also depends on what the particular athlete's attitude on red shirting is. Some might want to and some might not want to. It is hard for some fans to just look a roster and know what it is best. I think you need to be right there workling with them to know what is right. All I know is I can't wait for the season to start. It is going to be fun to see the new players.

With the DI rules that only allow five years to complete eligibility (no medical redshirt except by appeal if redshirted as a freshmen), a player getting injured after a redshirt year becomes a much more tragic circumstance.

The Big Sky and Colonial conferences have been pushing to five years FCS eligible regardless of circumstances. That measure failed to pass a couple weeks ago, but is sure to arise again:

Bozeman Chronicle: Exploring five year FCS eligibility and expanded playoffs

Almost all rule-change proposals are polarizing. But the two most recent alterations proposed by the Football Championship Subdivision seem to have unanimous support, at least from the nine head football coaches in the Big Sky Conference.

Another rule-change proposal that would give FCS athletes five years of eligibility - effectively eliminating a redshirt season - has been submitted to the NCAA. The legislation, drafted and heavily promoted by Colonial Athletic Association commissioner Tom Yeager, would go into effect in 2012 if approved.

"Our coaches' association will take a formal position on both the eligibility and the playoffs," said Montana State head football coach Rob Ash, who is also the president of the American Football Coaches' Association. "We've been in favor of five years of eligibility for five or 10 years. We also have a group called the FCS Steering Committee, which is a group of FCS coaches part of the AFCA. That group is really the one that has to lobby the Football Issues Committee, which is the FCS committee that brings these things to the NCAA. We are not a legislative body, but we are lobbying group.