SiouxSports.com Forum

Karl or Eddie?

The Commodore

Karl or Eddie?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Karl or Eddie?

• Karl
    • Eddie

I don't think it's fair to leave Karl off of the "best ever" poll. I've been a devoted Sioux fan since the early '80s, so I'm not offfering any disrespect to the '87 squad (if we were choosing best Sioux TEAM ever, they'd easily get my vote), but Karl deserves a voice in this conversation.

As far as I'm concerned, NCAA hockey and NHL hockey are two different games. There are some less-than-exciting NCAA student athletes who turn out to be decent/good NHL players, and as we've seen there are many cases where great college players fizzle. This is a college hockey board, let's focus on college hockey.

Eddie was great. Karl, in my opinion, was better because he had more heart and took a key leadership role on the team.

Since Eddie is closer to retirement, I'd say him. That way he can be our goalie coach while he finishes his degree.

Bear in mind that Karl already graduated with a degree in Marketing or Business here at UND. And, if I am not mistaken, he maintained close to a 4.0 GPA. I have a feeling that, even if his pro career fails, he'll stay in Hockey as part of the front office of some NHL team.

This is a toughy. Eddie's got the edge in natural, God-given talent but Karl devoted 4 years of his life to UND (whereas Eddie was on the fast track). I'd give the tie-breaking vote to Eddie as he has a better sense of humor: once offered a Dallas patrolman a billion dollars if he overlooked his DUI...

Forgot the part where he puked on himself, that deserves some props.

Since Eddie is closer to retirement, I'd say him. That way he can be our goalie coach while he finishes his degree.

Bear in mind that Karl already graduated with a degree in Marketing or Business here at UND. And, if I am not mistaken, he maintained close to a 4.0 GPA. I have a feeling that, even if his pro career fails, he'll stay in Hockey as part of the front office of some NHL team.

When I wrote "who do you wish would come back to UND" I was just putting something in as a descriptor, I guess. It didn't occur to me that either could come back as a coach. I put the vote up there just because I think Karl should have been a choice in the "best ever' poll. I've posted a "great memories of Goehring" message before, so I'm not going to reiterate my reasons for choosing him over Eddie. Obviously Eddie has had a great pro career and it's very unlikely that Karl will put up the same caliber of NHL numbers. But man, Karl was fun to watch, fun to root for, and inspired the players and the fans for four solid years... or was it three? He wasn't the starter his freshman year, right? Either way, as far as UND hockey is concerned, I don't think Karl should have to languish in Eddie's shadow.

While I can't imagine Eddie coaching, don't forget that his ex-wife is from EGF (pretty sure her parents still live here). So maybe a no to coaching here. His boys used to always go to Sioux camp as well (I believe). So maybe a yes.

Personally, you hear things about Eddie being a man's johnson, but I don't know. When he came back and played in that alumni game he pulled my little brother (who was crying. the wimp) out of the crush of autograph seekers. That shows you he cares.