SiouxSports.com Forum

Travis Roche

dickgraham

The Wild placed Travis Roche on waivers Saturday. Their GM says that Travis has not been playing so that they had to place him on waivers and if he clears waivers he will be assigned back to the Houston Aeros again. He went on to say that they need to find a replacement for Travis. Why hasn't he been playing? Injured? Not playing well enough?

DG

Like I figured. High on Roche organizationally means that they were hoping to get a Derian Hatcher/ Chris Pronger style out of him.

Unrealistic goals and lack of playing time means that Travis was pretty much destined to fail with the Wild. I'm more depressed that he cleared waivers rather than him getting sent down. I thought other teams could have used him more than the Wild obviously do.

Set back for the Wild, but business is business. If he isn't the answer, I hope they'll at least trade him to someone who will be serious when they say they'll give him a chance.

I admit I'm biased, but it just seems that in order for TR to make the team, he'd have to put up superstar numbers right from the get go, instead of just not being a defensive liability. It seems the Wild gave Nick Schultz the benefit of every doubt, and while he is a servicable D man, he ain't nothin' special IMHO. Does anyone else think there was a double standard here? If so, why would they do this?

I admit I'm biased, but it just seems that in order for TR to make the team, he'd have to put up superstar numbers right from the get go, instead of just not being a defensive liability. It seems the Wild gave Nick Schultz the benefit of every doubt, and while he is a servicable D man, he ain't nothin' special IMHO. Does anyone else think there was a double standard here? If so, why would they do this?

I love TR also, but people on here are acting like he never played in any games. He did play, and really wasn't producing.

I admit I'm biased, but it just seems that in order for TR to make the team, he'd have to put up superstar numbers right from the get go, instead of just not being a defensive liability.  It seems the Wild gave Nick Schultz the benefit of every doubt, and while he is a servicable D man, he ain't nothin' special IMHO.  Does anyone else think there was a double standard here?  If so, why would they do this?

Allthough I did want to see Travis play with the Wild and play well, he was a defensive liabilty, and there is no way Lemaire is going to put up with a defenseman that doesn't play above average defensivly. I Also thought he would be claimed on waivers, so that means that there is no way the Wild could trade him since every team had a shot at him for his current salary. To say that the gave Schultz every benfit of the doubt is true, and well deserve, he is 21 compared to Roches 25 I believe. He was drafted early in the 2nd round while Roche was a free agent rookie. That being said I feel that the Wild had a lot more invested in Schultz than Roche, I personally feel that Schultz will be a legitimate #1 defenseman in the NHL and for the Wild in the future. Roche just doesnt fit in with the Wild, and I disagree they didnt want him to be a Pronger or a Hatcher, I think they had more of a Morris or Poti someone more offensive minded.