SiouxSports.com Forum

Stupid final five question

Wilbur

Two threads in one week....I apologize guys and gals....

Anyways, with the new tournament this year having six teams and no third place game, and two games on Thursday I had someone ask me an interesting question that I didn't know the answer to.

Lets say the top six current teams make it, and take their current seeds with them.

1. UND

2. Denver

3. Duluth

4. UNO

5. CC

6. Wisconsin

Thursday nights games would be #3 Duluth vs. #6 Wisconsin, and #4 UNO vs. #5 CC. Here is where the question comes in. After the first round, do they re-seed? Like if Wisconsin beats Duluth, would they then play UND automatically if UND was the #1 team, and the winner of UNO vs. CC would automatically play Denver as the higher seed than Wisconsin? Of if Duluth won the winner of UNO vs. CC would automatically play the sioux?

I tried to find this on the web, but couldn't really find anything....sorry for wasting your time Sioux fans.........

WCHA Final Five information page

WCHA Final Five

Following the completion of the first round, the six winning teams will advance to the WCHA Final Five at Xcel Energy Center in Saint Paul. The brackets for the Final Five will be pre-set and the top two seeded teams will receive a bye. The 2011 Red Baron WCHA Final Five, set for March 17-19, will get underway with two games on Thursday on a single-ticket for the opening day. The Thursday games are tentatively set for 4:00 pm and 7:30 pm. Team No. 3 will play Team No. 6 and Team No. 4 will play Team No. 5.

On Friday of Final Five weekend, Thursday's winners will advance to take on the top two-seeded teams in a pair of semifinal matchups on Friday with separate admission tickets set for 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm. As the brackets will be pre-set, the matchups on Friday could be different than usual. And there will no longer be a third place game.

It looks like the brackets will be preset and re-seeding will not occur.

Seems strange that it wouldn't be re-seeded, but it's probably set up that way so Minnesota can be guaranteed the night game on Thursday and Friday night (if they make it).

Tournaments are rarely reseeded. The schools need some type of structure. People need to make plans, they set up alumni events, etc. Reseeding after the first round would just confuse everyone from the teams to the fans.

Tournaments are rarely reseeded. The schools need some type of structure. People need to make plans, they set up alumni events, etc. Reseeding after the first round would just confuse everyone from the teams to the fans.

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking that it has always been re-seeded, but in the old format, the Thursday night winner would always be playing the #1 seed, so no need to re-seed.

Correct. Also, it will make sure that the Thursday Night winner won't have to play Friday Afternoon.

Very true. I'm a big proponent of the winners getting that extra time before they play next. The Robbie Bina incident occurred after the sioux won the play-in game against Wisconsin and were forced to go right away the next day. The same thing with Duluth a couple of years ago against CC after they beat the sioux. Or when Anchorage made the F5 for the first time, beat CC, and ended up playing North Dakota the next day in the afternoon.

Yeah the past two years you had teams winning the F5 after winning the play-in game, but neither the sioux or the bulldogs had to win the afternoon game after winning Thursday.

Very true. I'm a big proponent of the winners getting that extra time before they play next. The Robbie Bina incident occurred after the sioux won the play-in game against Wisconsin and were forced to go right away the next day. The same thing with Duluth a couple of years ago against CC after they beat the sioux. Or when Anchorage made the F5 for the first time, beat CC, and ended up playing North Dakota the next day in the afternoon.

Yeah the past two years you had teams winning the F5 after winning the play-in game, but neither the sioux or the bulldogs had to win the afternoon game after winning Thursday.

I think the "Minnesota Rule" is a dumb rule... The Gophers not being in the Final Five proved that even without them the Final Five the WCHA still sold a lot of tickets even in a bad economy.

I think the "Minnesota Rule" is a dumb rule... The Gophers not being in the Final Five proved that even without them the Final Five the WCHA still sold a lot of tickets even in a bad economy.

The "Minnesota Rule" also applied approximately 10 or so years ago, the last time the tournament was held at The Bradley Center in Milwaukee. I despise the Gophers as much as anyone, but calling it "The Minnesota Rule" is a bit misleading. If the WCHA Final Five was played every year in Grand Forks and no matter what seed they were, the Sioux played the 7:00 pm Friday semi-final game, would it then be "The Sioux Rule"?

The "Minnesota Rule" also applied approximately 10 or so years ago, the last time the tournament was held at The Bradley Center in Milwaukee. I despise the Gophers as much as anyone, but calling it "The Minnesota Rule" is a bit misleading. If the WCHA Final Five was played every year in Grand Forks and no matter what seed they were, the Sioux played the 7:00 pm Friday semi-final game, would it then be "The Sioux Rule"?

Cool, lets move it Grand Forks, ND then and call it the UND Rule... :D What ever we call it, it's a stupid rule. Like I said earlier, "Yeah there is a good chance that Minnesota will be sitting home again this season."

Cool, lets move it Grand Forks, ND then and call it the UND Rule... :D What ever we call it, it's a stupid rule. Like I said earlier, "Yeah there is a good chance that Minnesota will be sitting home again this season."

The rule makes sense financially, which is why the coaches and the administrators of the schools choose to keep it. The local school is going to draw the most people. Having them play in the evening game on Friday gives the best chance to attract fans. The best chance of it going away would be if all of the sessions are sold out and the stands filled for all of those games. After all, this event is the biggest financial source for the league. It is the same reason that BCS leagues are going to league title games in football, it's all about the money.