SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon and Whistler are Famous

Big A HG

http://www.theawl.com/2009/11/real-america-with-abe-sauer-red-skin-cheer

Didn't read the whole thing as it's way too long for me, but noticed a couple regulars mentioned.

Let's not dwell too long on my ignorance of team mascots here ok. Aside from that gaffe on my part the article was pretty good.

What I found interesting is how this Abe guy seemed to imply that poverty on the reservation was somehow connected to the use of the name, somehow. I don't see it, but it seemed to me to be an interesting window on how liberals think.

Yeah, but aside from the one thing I thought he was very fair.

One of the guys from the Awl actually applied for a CWP and then wrote an article about it. He was kind of mocking the process.

Liberals don't think that way, PC nutjobs do. To blame PC idiocy on liberals is like blaming racist idiocy on conservatives. You just insulted a lot of liberal Fighting Sioux nickname defenders.

Fine, I'll just say it was a look into the minds of the other side. The guy that wrote it is liberal as well, but not all liberals are against the Sioux Name.

Fine, I'll just say it was a look into the minds of the other side. The guy that wrote it is liberal as well, but not all liberals are against the Sioux Name.

For sure not all liberals are against the nickname...

...however, most opponents of the nickname are liberals (if they aren't of Native American descent). You won't find many conservative thinkers against the nickname.

For sure not all liberals are against the nickname...

...however, most opponents of the nickname are liberals (if they aren't of Native American descent). You won't find many conservative thinkers against the nickname.

I would have to agree with that statement. :D

All of that is absolutely true... and at the same time most racists are conservative and you won't find many liberal thinkers agreeing with racist agenda. Yet I'm not about to go out and start blaming racism on conservatives. See what I mean?

The PC nutjobs represent maybe 1% of all liberals while the racist nutjobs represent maybe 1% of all conservatives. That's why we have to be careful when placing blame.

Not to start a flame war so all I'll say is that conservatives aren't racists.

• Upvote 1

All of that is absolutely true... and at the same time most racists are conservative and you won't find many liberal thinkers agreeing with racist agenda. Y

Come on Dave, that is a fallacious statement. :blush: You can't be serious? Racists come from all ethnic, political and religious back grounds.

You have got to be kidding me. A liberal racist is as rare as a conservative PC nut.

Again, how many previous Klan members were democrats???? Democrat President Woodrow Wilson actually wrote a book glorifying the Klan? I don't remember Wilson being a Republican, do you? How about Robert Byrd from West Virginia - devoted Klan member who rescinded his membership to the Klan? Do we have to have a lesson on political parties prior to the civil war and how the Democrats were for slavery and the Republican party led by Lincoln was not? Do we need to go further to show that the number of racists who happen to be liberal democrats far outweighs conservatives who are PC nut jobs??? I'll stop as its getting redundant...

BobIwabuchiFan

Again, how many previous Klan members were democrats???? Democrat President Woodrow Wilson actually wrote a book glorifying the Klan? I don't remember Wilson being a Republican, do you? How about Robert Byrd from West Virginia - devoted Klan member who rescinded his membership to the Klan? Do we have to have a lesson on political parties prior to the civil war and how the Democrats were for slavery and the Republican party led by Lincoln was not? Do we need to go further to show that the number of racists who happen to be liberal democrats far outweighs conservatives who are PC nut jobs??? I'll stop as its getting redundant...

BobIwabuchiFan

And nearly all of them changed their party affiliations to Republican within a decade after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. I know it's convenient to leave that part out as it doesn't help your argument but to an uninformed reader that provides a great deal of context.

I don't believe all conservatives are racist but those of racist viewpoints find a whole lot more receptive audience in the Republican party and Conservative movement. You have conservative icons like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh who have said some of the most vile racist crap on their shows and they are immune from criticism within the conservative movement which doesn't help your cause much. Not too mention the high number of conservative icons from Jerry Falwell to Rand Paul who have taken firm stances against civil rights in both the past and present. If you're going to start painting with such a broad brush as you choose to paint Dave K and myself then you really can't complain when the same broad brush is used on you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Liberals are WAY more racist by trying not to be racist than your average conservative could ever be. Liberals are always the ones bringing up race other than a small handful of neo-nazi nutjobs. The race card gets pulled all the time to counter any valid conservative point being made.

Also, this is a forum about the Sioux nickname, not about racist conservatives.

Liberals are WAY more racist by trying not to be racist than your average conservative could ever be. Liberals are always the ones bringing up race other than a small handful of neo-nazi nutjobs. The race card gets pulled all the time to counter any valid conservative point being made.

Also, this is a forum about the Sioux nickname, not about racist conservatives.

So it wasn't racist of Rand Paul to advocate for repeal of the Civil Rights Act provisions that prevent segregation of lunch countertops or restaurants? It also wasn't racist when Dr. Laura repeatedly shouted the "n word" at an African- American caller? How about Rush Limbaugh telling an African American caller to take "the bone out of her nose"?

It's hard to imagine being any more racist than all of the above without deliberately trying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1