SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise and Obstruction

yzerman19

So Zach's draft stock fell due to obstruction in the WCHA...big surprise as he was mugged constantly.

Our league has been butchered of late in the NCAAs, and in part, I have to believe the course of the season is driving that. Look at what many WCHA skill guys are doing in the NHL, and then question why we aren't winning titles and dominating the leader board in scoring. Clearly Parise, Zajac and Toews are among the 50 best players in the world.

The WCHA has to look at what is happening.

The WCHA has to look at what is happening.

No they don't.

They'd rather look at manufactured close games via "situational officiating" (code for "keep it close").

To this point it was just whiny Sioux fans talking about clutch and grab and the talented guys skating with cadavers on their backs. Seems now an NHL general manager is saying the same sort of things. Maybe Sioux fans really aren't the problem: http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=76743

No they don't.

They'd rather look at manufactured close games via "situational officiating" (code for "keep it close").

To this point it was just whiny Sioux fans talking about clutch and grab and the talented guys skating with cadavers on their backs. Seems now an NHL general manager is saying the same sort of things. Maybe Sioux fans really aren't the problem: http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=76743

I think Sickatoka is right the WCHA doesn't want anything but 12 teams jammed all together within 5-10 points of each other to keep the fans interested. I think the WCHA needs to call the game like the NHL during the regular season, then you would have some separation. The reality is that if you called the games like that you would have separation in the league standings. It will be interesting to see how it plays out next season with a 12 team league.

Should have had these techno geeks around when Parise was, so we could watch the utube videos of the games. It was unbelievable, would love to see the virtual tackling that went on by Denver, and, that UAA game was way beyond believable.

Last season 08-09- there was a shot for 3 or 4 teams with a shot to finish in first place with 4 or 5 weeks left.

09-10 there was a 6 team logjam for 2-7 spots.

I think with the level of talent in the league you would have the same parity, but just up a level. The UND UW, DU, and other teams on certain years and then you have a second teir. It is the way it works right now but perhaps the top teams wouldn't be so beaten and tired after the regular season.

OR

Could it be that way already and we just don't want to see it? NAH!! :(

I accept the obstruction should be reduced in the WCHA. I laugh at the NHL teams who passed on Parise. The guy had shown himself on multiple occasions to be VERY near the best in the world in his draft class. If they used a small sample of games (playoff losses to UMD and Ferris) as a reason to drop his stock, they deserve the Zherdevs, Michaleks, Kostitsyns, Carters, Jessimans, Browns, Nilssons, and Berniers they got instead.

I accept the obstruction should be reduced in the WCHA. I laugh at the NHL teams who passed on Parise. The guy had shown himself on multiple occasions to be VERY near the best in the world in his draft class. If they used a small sample of games (playoff losses to UMD and Ferris) as a reason to drop his stock, they deserve the Zherdevs, Michaleks, Kostitsyns, Carters, Jessimans, Browns, Nilssons, and Berniers they got instead.

Seriously. How many gold medals and international AAA tournament MVPs does it take to be a top 10 draft pick? So he's five foot ten, it isn't like he's five foot six.

Beyond Zach, however, it is interesting to think about how much the grind of western hockey: number of games, type of play wears guys down.

When we played Yale, I believe that not only had they been off for two weeks, but also they had played ten less games.

Does the physicality and obstruction, while reducing the speed and skill level of the game, actually speed up pro development? An 82 game season is a grind...