SiouxSports.com Forum

Old Timer's Hockey Recollections

NorthDakotaHockey

Phats and I had breakfast at a Village Inn, Sunday after the Omaha series. Of course we both were wearing Sioux gear. As we were leaving an old timer stopped us. Said he graduated from UND in 1959 and watched hockey from the rafters of the ol' barn. He told us a story that I cannot confirm and suspect has been distorted beyond recognition through time. He said that the '58 freshman played the seniors and blew them out of the water. "They were a bunch of Canadians but so were most of the rest of the team." He also said that freshman team was recruited enmasse by the owner of the North Stars. Hmmmm.....

The North Stars didn't start playing in the NHL until 1967. They had a bunch of owners. The first group was led by Walter Bush, who has been part of USA Hockey for years. He started a minor league for hockey in 1955. I don't ever remember hearing about any connection between him and UND.

The North Stars didn't start playing in the NHL until 1967. They had a bunch of owners. The first group was led by Walter Bush, who has been part of USA Hockey for years. He started a minor league for hockey in 1955. I don't ever remember hearing about any connection between him and UND.

Old men and their memories, gotta let them talk, smile, nod and agree 'those were the days'. ;)

Phats and I had breakfast at a Village Inn, Sunday after the Omaha series. Of course we both were wearing Sioux gear. As we were leaving an old timer stopped us. Said he graduated from UND in 1959 and watched hockey from the rafters of the ol' barn. He told us a story that I cannot confirm and suspect has been distorted beyond recognition through time. He said that the '58 freshman played the seniors and blew them out of the water. "They were a bunch of Canadians but so were most of the rest of the team." He also said that freshman team was recruited enmasse by the owner of the North Stars. Hmmmm.....

On the official game record there is a game listed between the Varsity team and the UND Freshmen. The game was played December 11, 1953. The varsity team won the game 8-7. This could be what they were remembering. I'm guessing his memory of the game being between the freshmen and seniors is also probably off, as the teams then didn't have enough players on a roster to split in such a manner. The '57-'58 team had only two seniors, Jim Ridley and Edgar Willems. Another player, Joe Armbruster, played the second of his two seasons that year as well. The '58-'59 team had 6 seniors, still far fewer than you'd need to field a team.

Still, a fun memory nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

It perhaps may have been already reported here or elsewhere, or it perhaps may not yet be announced, but a little birdie told me last night that there is a big celebration and ceremony planned for Terry Casey Night on the Friday night of the Robert Morris series, January 7. Casey's widow, daughter, and roughly twenty of his classmates, including Gino and Hexy, will be here to hang the #12. Daughter was never held by daddy as she was in the womb when Terry was killed. The Casey family is reported to be thrilled.

This is great news, and should be a grand recognition long overdue. Kudos to everyone at The Ralph who took this bull by its horns and put this night together!

A great ceremony last night. #12 looks great in the rafters. Kudos to The Ralph and UND staff for getting this done.

Does anyone know if there is a video of the ceremony anywhere? I missed the first part of the game and wanted to see it.

They should it on the TV schedule. When I get a chance I'll post it unless someone else hopefully beats me to it. (Won't be today.)

Touching that his daughter that was born after his accident was there.