SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Rotating Schedule

Dave Berger

I miss an eight-team league where everyone played a "balanced" schedule (two at home, two on road, against every other league member).

I agree 100%. The problem right now is that all the teams are crammed into just five conferences (not counting the soon-to-be dead CHA). I have always opposed 10 to 12 team conferences because they get too big and watered down. Another strong league to replace the CHA (which was always weak except for Bemidji State) that would provide an alternative home for some of these programs and help existing conferences streamline themselves (think WCHA and CCHA) would alleviate the problem. The question is how would it happen? And which programs would benefit from leaving their current conference home? Tough problem, even tougher solutions.

As for the scheduling arrangement discussed in the article, it's probably as fair of a system that you can hope for in a 12 team league.

if the bthc happens, great, we can split up the leagues... except one big problem, only two wcha teams would be leaving, and i don't see any of the remaining ones joining the bthc. the ccha would actually set up nice losing three making it an 8 team conference, unless notre dame decides to join? which i don't see happening, but you never know. and what about uah? so if the bthc happens and dictates some rearrangement, we're left with a 10 team wcha minus two of the perrenial powerhouses, but still a viable league, and left in the best shape imho. the ccha is left with 8 losing 2 of its top schools and a bottom dweller, but still a viable league. and the almighty bthc has 4 powerhouse hockey programs and a cupcake to beat up on... have fun playing each other 6 or 8 times a season. now this isn't to say some big ten schools couldn't add programs, this has been discussed at length in another thread, and that isn't what is being discussed here. and my last comment was tounge in cheek, as i realize these schools would have not trouble filling a non conference schedule, but a bthc isn't the answer to spreading out the wealth here. it may or may not happen, until then we deal with a 12 team conference schedule.