SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux - Bison Tickets for Students

The Sicatoka

Apparently, the NDSU Student Senate held back some of the 200 tickets to be raffled to students for themselves.

That concerns me a little if they weren't open about it. But that's an internal matter for NDSU to deal with.

What concerns me more is this part of the story:

When NDSU student government members learned The Spectrum intended to print a story about the tickets, five of them visited the Spectrum office and threatened to cut its funding, (NDSU Spectrum editor) Schirmer said.

I'm not sure what to say after reading that.

I'd guess in most political organizations, using constituents' money to provide tickets or other goodies for the politicos' own use constitutes corruption, or the appearance thereof, but not at 'SU apparently. Moreover, threatening to use, er abuse their power to silence the Spectrum, these dinks have demonstrated a level of arrogance and greed that helps them compensate for their other "inadequacies". ;)

Obviously, the system that SU has for how their student newspaper gets its funding is screwed up. When it was first created, the newspaper should have specified that its funding should come from somewhere other than through Student Government or any student organizations, to prevent a conflict of interest.

The fact that the Student Government is trying to control the only student media coming out of SU is extremely pathetic. This situation should be evaluated by the University immediately and the student paper should seek to get its funding through a different forum.

Apparently, the NDSU Student Senate held back some of the 200 tickets to be raffled to students for themselves.

That concerns me a little if they weren't open about it. But that's an internal matter for NDSU to deal with.

What concerns me more is this part of the story:

I'm not sure what to say after reading that.

Maybe we need to cut NDSU student government some slack as the coverup was with good intentions: President Swanson and his entourage only wanted to investigate tailgating Alerus-style, without the Fargo police sniffing their drinks. ;)

Oh, but wait, its not President Swanson, its President Mostad, courtesy of just one more alcohol scandal in NDSU land. Perhaps Mostad better stay away from the Alerus! :(