SiouxSports.com Forum

What's the deal?

undchris

I was just wondering what the deal is with FSSN? Why can't they show any more out of town games than they do?

UND at Colorado College UMD UW games have all been shown at one time or another on FSSN? Why have they not shown any of these out of town games lately?

That is a good question since in years past (last season) they showed both games of the UMD series. In other season they have shown the games as well and I am a little dissappointed.

According to Brad's blog (Click Here to Read it.) it is due to financial reasons. I'm not sure if WDAZ is hurting for cash or what, but if I remember right they said it was due to financial reasons as to why there is no PP clock on the broadcast. I may be wrong but I can't find the thread that had the PP clock question in it, if I am, someone please correct me.

Edit: I found the post. Read below.

I've always wondered about this to. So I took the liberty to contacting someone who would know the answer. So I sent an e-mail to Pat Sweeney who I must say has always responded to my inquiries regarding the FSSN broadcast. Great guy! Anyways here is his response as to why there is no penalty clock:

I'm sure the WDAZ guys know their business. If they could make money at showing the Duluth games then they'd do it.

What I don't understand is why it's profitable for them to show the home games and not the away games. It seems to me that away games would have maybe 11,500 MORE people watching the games than the home games.

That should make up the cost of a few hotel rooms.

OR you'd think they could even pick up the Duluth TV feed and show it on the local network.

As I said, I'm sure they'd do it if it was feasible.

I'm sure the WDAZ guys know their business. If they could make money at showing the Duluth games then they'd do it.

What I don't understand is why it's profitable for them to show the home games and not the away games. It seems to me that away games would have maybe 11,500 MORE people watching the games than the home games.

That should make up the cost of a few hotel rooms.

OR you'd think they could even pick up the Duluth TV feed and show it on the local network.

As I said, I'm sure they'd do it if it was feasible.

I don't think they would have any trouble making up the difference with trade outs and advertising.

I know people that work in radio and they deals on stuff cheap all the time especially hotel rooms.

road games are rarely shown because it costs thousands of dollars to send game back to gf by satellite. for home games, they dont have to pay to satellite the signal back. radio usually uses a phone line which is much cheaper.

road games are rarely shown because it costs thousands of dollars to send game back to gf by satellite. for home games, they dont have to pay to satellite the signal back. radio usually uses a phone line which is much cheaper.

This is the reason in a nutshell. Road games would cost twice as much in satellite time plus production costs plus travel expenses. Advertising is a tougher sell right now than it was in past years. Remember, this is additional advertising sales because these stations aren't usually in use if they aren't showing games. Everyone would love to see road games but a lot of the time it doesn't make sense financially for Midcontinent or WDAZ. Now if someone really wanted to watch them and would pay the costs, maybe something could be arranged. Of course you would have to give them some lead time, it's tough to make those arrangements in a few days.

This is the reason in a nutshell. Road games would cost twice as much in satellite time plus production costs plus travel expenses. Advertising is a tougher sell right now than it was in past years. Remember, this is additional advertising sales because these stations aren't usually in use if they aren't showing games. Everyone would love to see road games but a lot of the time it doesn't make sense financially for Midcontinent or WDAZ. Now if someone really wanted to watch them and would pay the costs, maybe something could be arranged. Of course you would have to give them some lead time, it's tough to make those arrangements in a few days.

Money money money makes the world go 'round. Still a disappointing reason but understandable. I guess that I'll have to listen to Tim "The Refs Can't Ever Get the Call Right" Hennessy on the Radio. ???

AH I hadn't considered the satellite time as an expense. Maybe the infernalnet will be up to the task in a few years.

Thanks!

The reason they showed the Anchorage games this year is that GCI (the cable co in Alaska) beams all home games up on C-Band satellite. So the feed was already there.

Last year Wisco games were already on satellite (again the feed was already out there so they just plucked it out of the sky)

Duluth is cable only so they use the existing infrastructure to show it on cable. The Denver game a couple weeks ago was fibre (a satellite guy's enemy). From reading the uplink sheets the Denver home games are fibred (just like the Goofer home games are).

So it all goes back to money. If the FSSN wants to show a road game they have two options

-pay for two uplinks to show to everyone (the one from the site to GF and then the FSSN transponder). The feed sent back to GF is the raw feed....no graphics but maybe the clock. The FSSN feed would have the graphics

-pay for one uplink and then you have to have the graphics stuff with which I assume costs more money

Dont get me wrong. I'd love to have more Sioux games on satellite but considering you have to pay for hotels, food etc for that crew plus the money for satellite space and they have to reserve it usually 4 hours at a time that can get spendy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Iceberg, is Midco picking this up on c-band and rebroadcasting it on cable?

They dont need to pick it up on C-Band....There are other ways of getting the feed but they are getting the broadcast somehow

Highly unlikely its on C-Band as when the feeds were up there for UMD road games (via WDIO ABC before Charter took over) they were KU Band

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1