SiouxSports.com Forum

Division 1 Transition: Precursor for Perennial Mediocrity?

breakin face

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I understand the issue with Cameron as a punter, you would think that his leg strength would warrant him kicking off rather than Hellevang.

I have wondered that as well. Maybe Hellevang is more consistent on delivering the ball to the area the coaching staff wants it on kickoffs so that coverage is better?

Another thing on Hellevang's punting. While his average (41.8) is good, just 6 of his 34 punts have been fair caught, which generally means too many line drive punts. The long punt return by Cal Poly last week was a good example of that problem (43 yard punt, 34 yard return).

I haven't been paying enough attention, but does Cameron travel for Away games?

If not, it could be they just have Hellevang kick/punt so they can open up a spot for a position player to travel.

I believe Cameron has been on the travel roster all year.

I brought this up in the Cal Poly game thread, but it's worth repeating: For a good chunk of the game last week, UND had two RFr. (Lynch and McGurran) playing on the offensive line, a RFr. (Sutton) rush for 143 yards, and a true sophomore (Bamba) once again be the leading receiver. Not to mention that another RFr. (Wisthoff) was listed as the starter at TE. And that offense scored 24 points in just over two quarters against a ranked FCS team after not doing much the previous two weeks. Young, talented, and inconsistent.

If you look at the senior class, is there an impact player (i.e. someone whose talent will be hard to replace) outside of Bondy? I don't believe there is. And this is not a slam on any of the other seniors on the roster because I know several of them are good students that have set an example for the younger kids to follow by sticking with the program despite limited playing time.

The junior class is actually pretty decent (Boyle, Schwenzfeier, Ankebauer, Dublanko, Kasowski, Schroyer, Landry) and they should nicely bridge the gap until this class of RFr. and true freshmen are ready to lead the team coming out of the transition.

Too bad Ankenbauer didn't redshirt it'd be nice to have him for two more years

Too bad Ankenbauer didn't redshirt it'd be nice to have him for two more years

It would be nice, but I can't really fault Lennon for going all-in to make one last run at a dII national championship, which was presumably a big part of the decision not to red-shirt Ankenbauer, Saporu and Murray in 2007.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, North Dakota Fighting Sioux football fans from a Texas Tech Red Raider fan. First, I want to congratulate your team on their final regular season win, giving you a 6-5 record. Second, I know your school is more about hockey than football, but I hope you understand how much you have accomplished this year on the football field. Although Tech defeated your team, you displayed a great amount of heart and abilities that will be built on for years. The same heart and abilities you have had for hockey. Now, I feel your venture into Div I-AA football is going to be very rewarding. You will be fine. Some of you are already aware that many of Texas Tech's fans have sort of adopted your team as a secondary team to cheer on to victory. Know that we are appreciative of your fighting spirit as well as the friendly nature of the fans. I don't know if we will ever get to play each other again, but I hope so somewhere down the road. If so, don't expect any favors because we still want to win against everyone, even our good friends from up north in North Dakota. May you have continued success as your football program grows and becomes stronger.

Hello, North Dakota Fighting Sioux football fans from a Texas Tech Red Raider fan. First, I want to congratulate your team on their final regular season win, giving you a 6-5 record. Second, I know your school is more about hockey than football, but I hope you understand how much you have accomplished this year on the football field. Although Tech defeated your team, you displayed a great amount of heart and abilities that will be built on for years. The same heart and abilities you have had for hockey. Now, I feel your venture into Div I-AA football is going to be very rewarding. You will be fine. Some of you are already aware that many of Texas Tech's fans have sort of adopted your team as a secondary team to cheer on to victory. Know that we are appreciative of your fighting spirit as well as the friendly nature of the fans. I don't know if we will ever get to play each other again, but I hope so somewhere down the road. If so, don't expect any favors because we still want to win against everyone, even our good friends from up north in North Dakota. May you have continued success as your football program grows and becomes stronger.

Thanks for the kind words. I have been pleasantly surprised by the relationship developing between UND fans and Texas Tech fans. I know that many of us have started following the Red Raiders on a regular basis and have become fans from a distance. I hope that the schools find a way to meet again on the gridiron. Good luck with whatever bowl game the Red Raiders end up playing in and with recruiting for next year.

Thanks 82SiouxGuy. I know your team is going to do well next year. As we await the bowl assignments, we are excited to be in a bowl for the 10th straight year as Mike Leach has transformed Texas Tech into a top flight program. We still have growing pains now and then, but are at a level we have not been, ever. May your sporting teams prosper.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I hate to come in here breaking face like this but speaking as a long time UND fan I feel this move to Division 1 will cripple our football program. I'm not saying we'll get to an Idaho State level but I wouldn't be suprised to see 4-7, 5-6 type records for the years to come. Let's look at the facts, recruiting is taking a major hit in this transition. Why would a football player choose to come to a school that blatantly supports hockey over football when he can go one hour down the road to NDSU where football is "God"? If the recruiting isn't up to snuff the wins aren't going to follow. I may be seeing this far too pessimistically but what would draw football recruits to UND right now? Is it the lack of playoff eligibility, the 7500 person crowds, the losses to NAIA schools, the Alerus Center? Personally I don't see us as an attractive football school right now, for our sake I hope I'm wrong but until then pick up the pieces.......of your broken face!!!!!!!

Just thought this should get revisited. It was posted around a year ago, looking at it one year later have we seen any improvements?