SiouxSports.com Forum

Murphy voted in

Oxbow6

What kind of actions will the new tribal council be taking, now that they are installed?

Tribal vote? Then a council vote to support the nickname?

Can that get done before Oct 31st? And if the tribe votes yes and the council votes yes, will the SBoHE give a further extension to allow the University to negotiate 30 year contracts with both tribes?

Seems like a lot to get done.

What kind of actions will the new tribal council be taking, now that they are installed?

Tribal vote? Then a council vote to support the nickname?

Can that get done before Oct 31st? And if the tribe votes yes and the council votes yes, will the SBoHE give a further extension to allow the University to negotiate 30 year contracts with both tribes?

Seems like a lot to get done.

No one knows what the tribal council will do. The best guess is that they will consider either allowing a tribal vote or upholding the pipe ceremony from 1969. But no one knows whether they would support either.

The only thing that will get done before Oct 31 is the consideration of either or both issues. If the council decides to allow a vote of tribal members, the SBoHE will extend the deadline either 30 or 60 days to get that done. If the tribal council decides that they won't allow a vote and will not consider the pipe ceremony, then that will be the end of it.

No one knows what the tribal council will do. The best guess is that they will consider either allowing a tribal vote or upholding the pipe ceremony from 1969. But no one knows whether they would support either.

The only thing that will get done before Oct 31 is the consideration of either or both issues. If the council decides to allow a vote of tribal members, the SBoHE will extend the deadline either 30 or 60 days to get that done. If the tribal council decides that they won't allow a vote and will not consider the pipe ceremony, then that will be the end of it.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me the way you put it.

Oh well, we can now claim superiority over FSU, Utah, and CMU...or injustice whichever way you may paint it. We're held to higher standards then the big $$$ Universities.

It seems pretty cut and dry to me the way you put it.

Oh well, we can now claim superiority over FSU, Utah, and CMU...or injustice whichever way you may paint it. We're held to higher standards then the big $$ Universities.

CMU ain't no big $$$ university. Only reason they're FBS is because they're in Michigan. They're on par academically with Mankato State, just in a bigger state so they have more students and more money to spend on athletics.

I think the loophole they found had something to do with the university being on or near a single Chippewa reservation so they only had to get approval from that tribe, not all the Chippewa in Michigan. Something like that.

CMU only has to gain approval of 1 (geographically nearest) of the 5 Chippewa/Ojibwa/Anishinabe tribes in Michigan per the NCAA.

Thats BS the closest tribe to UND is the Spirit Lake why not just go with that or else how about the Sioux tribe down by Hankinson the Sissiton-Wahpeton Sioux tribe why didn't we have to get approval from them.

Thats BS the closest tribe to UND is the Spirit Lake why not just go with that or else how about the Sioux tribe down by Hankinson the Sissiton-Wahpeton Sioux tribe why didn't we have to get approval from them.

That is a good question the Sisseton tribe branches into ND. I wonder why they weren't included. I have never heard anything from there as to whether they are pro and anti-Fighting Sioux!

That is a good question the Sisseton tribe branches into ND. I wonder why they weren't included. I have never heard anything from there as to whether they are pro and anti-Fighting Sioux!

They (tribal council and not the whole tribe) are anti-nickname.