SiouxSports.com Forum

Wings vs Hawks

GF_siouxfan

I think the Hawks are hoping that some of their young players (Toews and Kane namely) will stick around for a little less money than some other clubs can offer them and that they can unload some players in a year or two (hopefully after winning a cup). I know that Huet will be shopped heavily and maybe after this year they will unload some more big names. I guess its a toss up, its hard to pass on a two-way player like Hossa, but if you end up losing next year and not signing some of the younger talent, it wouldn't be worth it.

I think the Hawks are going to be strapped for cash.

Precisely.

This was a desperation move by the Hawks to get Hossa away from Detroit. All signs pointed to Hossa wanting to stay in Detroit until this came about.

Also, I think this means that Havlat isn't staying in Chicago. In fact, I'm sure of it.

There are also some RFAs and UFA youth like Brouwer that are probably gone now too.

As for Toews and Kane, I think one of them is gone at the end of their contract years simply due to the money. I think Kane will be the one to go based on the potential for him to be a big scorer.

In any case, I would have spent money on a goaltender that doesn't suck like Huet. I know that Khabibulin is gone now. Seriously, Huet will not take them to the Finals regardless of how good they are next year.

Precisely.

This was a desperation move by the Hawks to get Hossa away from Detroit. All signs pointed to Hossa wanting to stay in Detroit until this came about.

Also, I think this means that Havlat isn't staying in Chicago. In fact, I'm sure of it.

There are also some RFAs and UFA youth like Brouwer that are probably gone now too.

As for Toews and Kane, I think one of them is gone at the end of their contract years simply due to the money. I think Kane will be the one to go based on the potential for him to be a big scorer.

In any case, I would have spent money on a goaltender that doesn't suck like Huet. I know that Khabibulin is gone now. Seriously, Huet will not take them to the Finals regardless of how good they are next year.

There's no question that between the two, Kane would be the one to go. They're not going to name Toews the captain at age 19 or whatever he was and then let him go. You didn't see Yzerman leave Detroit, you didn't see Sakic leave Quebec/Colorado (although now that he's a geriatric he may) and you won't see Toews leave Chicago (unless it's a situation like Sakic is in).

And yes, I do know who Wayne Gretzky is and his hockey history. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe in Toews' twilight years you could see him play for another team, but he won't be leaving Chicago for the next 10+ years. I'll go on record and say that I believe Toews will be a Blackhawk for life.

Precisely.

No it wasn't. Hossa wanted to stay in Detroit but Holland didn't give him the price he wanted. Hossa's agent made it clear that they wanted at least $6 million a year and because of cap space Detroit only offered $4-5 million a year. In fact it was in March that Holland offered Hossa a $4-5 million a year deal, but when he turned that down Holland locked Franzen instead. In fact the Wings are so tight on cap space that they won't be able to sign Samuelsson either. If they can get through the free agency by retaining Hudler and Leino and maybe a grinder at a bargain until Abdelkader is ready then it was a good offseason.

No it wasn't. Hossa wanted to stay in Detroit but Holland didn't give him the price he wanted. Hossa's agent made it clear that they wanted at least $6 million a year and because of cap space Detroit only offered $4-5 million a year. In fact it was in March that Holland offered Hossa a $4-5 million a year deal, but when he turned that down Holland locked Franzen instead. In fact the Wings are so tight on cap space that they won't be able to sign Samuelsson either. If they can get through the free agency by retaining Hudler and Leino and maybe a grinder at a bargain until Abdelkader is ready then it was a good offseason.

Is Samuelsson that big of a loss?

I also am not sold on Leino either. I'd go for Hudler.

As for Abdelkader, he did ok in the playoffs. I say let him have a shot.

Nevertheless, back to the Hawks: Uh... what are they going to do in net? Pray Huet doesn't sieve out every game and turn it over to Antii Niemi when he inevitably does?

They might not have a choice. The older goaltenders aren't #1 caliber (well... maybe Biron is worth looking at... but he was mediocre) and all the young talent out there are just that: talent. None of them are proven at the NHL level.

Well, they do have Hossa wrapped up for 12 years. I'm curious though... how long do they have Huet wrapped up for? He's not tradeable due to his salary, I'm sure (not that anyone would take him). Tallon is still the best GM in Chicago (IMO), but Huet's signing is much more like that of something Hendry would do for the Cubs (take a shot at the dark at a one year wonder and hope for the best) than Tallon has done in the past.

In today's NHL, no one is a lifer.

People said up and down that Mats Sundin would be a Maple Leaf for life.

Nope.

You already mentioned Gretzky.

Same thing with Messier.

I know exactly what you're saying and don't completely disagree. However, Toews would fit the mold for a lifer - one of the youngest captains in NHL history, has been compared to Stevie Y, etc. I just don't see the Hawks letting him go.

Is Samuelsson that big of a loss?

I also am not sold on Leino either. I'd go for Hudler.

As for Abdelkader, he did ok in the playoffs. I say let him have a shot.

Nevertheless, back to the Hawks: Uh... what are they going to do in net? Pray Huet doesn't sieve out every game and turn it over to Antii Niemi when he inevitably does?

They might not have a choice. The older goaltenders aren't #1 caliber (well... maybe Biron is worth looking at... but he was mediocre) and all the young talent out there are just that: talent. None of them are proven at the NHL level.

Well, they do have Hossa wrapped up for 12 years. I'm curious though... how long do they have Huet wrapped up for? He's not tradeable due to his salary, I'm sure (not that anyone would take him). Tallon is still the best GM in Chicago (IMO), but Huet's signing is much more like that of something Hendry would do for the Cubs (take a shot at the dark at a one year wonder and hope for the best) than Tallon has done in the past.

Babcock stated at the end of the season that Abdelkader will start the year in Grand Rapids. I don't disagree on Samuelsson either. If they can sign Hudler and Leino, this means they bring back 11 fowards so they'll probably go out and get a bargain player.

Good news Wild fans:

The Wild signed a player that would NEVER have been signed by Risebrough/Lemaire in Martin Havlat today.

They also signed Greg Zanon who will be just another middle of the road defenseman, but that's not bad either.

You have to be happy that at least the Wild are going after players that they'd normally wouldn't get.

They did miss the boat on quite a bit of players that would have helped.

WOW Montreal was busy.

Chicago now really only has two ?'s: Youth and goaltending. They don't really need to do much with the first one, but I still think they could have used a goaltender...but again, who?

Rangers got Gaborik. Mark my words: If he can avoid the injury bug, he'll score more than he ever did with the Wild within two seasons with NYR.

The Wild still need a few more goal scorers. They missed the boat on Gionta and Cammalleri. I'd say take a flyer on Nik Antropov or perhaps a Mike Comrie, and perhaps a few of the unproven wingers that have names to them.... like a Luca Cereda (Don't know him but he was a 1st rounder), or someone.

Maybe get a journeyman like Fedotenko or Afinogenov.

Fat chance

Perhaps, but I don't think Gaborik's game translated well to Lemaire's system and I think that contributed to the injury problems more than anything.

I think the Rangers will allow Gaborik to play his game and he won't have to put himself in such positions that got him injured (or at least set him up for them).

Good news Wild fans:

The Wild signed a player that would NEVER have been signed by Risebrough/Lemaire in Martin Havlat today.

The Wild better hope Havlat stays healthy. This past year he played in 81 games, but here's his stats since the lockout:

2005-2006 played 18 games and had 16 points

2006-2007 played 56 games and had 57 points

2007-2008 played 35 games and had 27 points

2008-2009 played 81 games and had 77 points

Looks like he scores about a point a game, so if he stays healthy he could be a nice pickup. He's only 28 years old, and the Wild saved 7.5 million. Gaborik got 5 years, $37.5M and Havlat got 5 years, $30M. It'd be interesting to compare these 2 guy's stats a few years down the road to see how this turned out for each team.

Perhaps, but I don't think Gaborik's game translated well to Lemaire's system and I think that contributed to the injury problems more than anything.

I think the Rangers will allow Gaborik to play his game and he won't have to put himself in such positions that got him injured (or at least set him up for them).

So, according to you, the NYR will allow him to avoid forechecking, backchecking, the front of the net, and any other area where physical contact might occur. Not much of a recipe for college, much less the NHL.

I hope Gabby get smoked by a good hard check when he plays the Wild (one of those hits we called a look out hit in football), I am so glad the Wild fans don't have to put up with his me focused, self serving attitude, I am also sick of his agent Ron Salcer, he had no intention of negoiating with the Wild.

Everything I have read the last couple of days makes me think he is a Gabby and Salcer are both whiners. Good Riddance and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Maryann. I just hope the Wild haven't traded a soft slovak for a soft CZECK.

So, according to you, the NYR will allow him to avoid forechecking, backchecking, the front of the net, and any other area where physical contact might occur. Not much of a recipe for college, much less the NHL.

Not sure about that.

Lemaire's system was defense first and the rest shall come. Gaborik's game doesn't translate into that. Detroit's game style isn't that way either. Gaborik will thrive in an arena that allows him to play to a system that better fits his playing style instead of a boring defensive system like Lemaire's.

That being said, I doubt Gaborik ever plays a full season without injury.

Goon- Havlat was pretty clutch for the Hawks. But he is streaky. He's not Alexei Kovalev (which is a good thing). Kovalev seems to be a $10 talent with a 10 cent head.

As for agents, well, I'm not sure there are many good agents out there. Their job is to get their clients (and themselves) the most money possible. And that includes all the publicity circuses. I despise Scott Boras and whatever that other one is whose name for some reason I can't remember...from baseball, but I understand what they are doing even if it is wrong.

Not sure about that.

Lemaire's system was defense first and the rest shall come. Gaborik's game doesn't translate into that. Detroit's game style isn't that way either. Gaborik will thrive in an arena that allows him to play to a system that better fits his playing style instead of a boring defensive system like Lemaire's.

That being said, I doubt Gaborik ever plays a full season without injury.

Goon- Havlat was pretty clutch for the Hawks. But he is streaky. He's not Alexei Kovalev (which is a good thing). Kovalev seems to be a $10 talent with a 10 cent head.

As for agents, well, I'm not sure there are many good agents out there. Their job is to get their clients (and themselves) the most money possible. And that includes all the publicity circuses. I despise Scott Boras and whatever that other one is whose name for some reason I can't remember...from baseball, but I understand what they are doing even if it is wrong.

Leigh Steinberg? Arn Tellem?

Drew Rosenhaus in an NFL agent who I think is a scumbag.

IF he can stay healthy.

What? You get groin pulls by turning and heading back on defense? Poolman must be a genius to keep all the Sioux players on the ice these years.

Leigh Steinberg? Arn Tellem?

Drew Rosenhaus in an NFL agent who I think is a scumbag.

Sorry. Wrong sport.

Drew is the guy I'm thinking of.

As per Gaborik:

OK OK!!!! I just thought having a more offensive minded system would benefit Gaborik! SHEESH! :)