SiouxSports.com Forum

08-09 retrospective

YaneA

Brad Schlossman has a nice recap of the positives of the 08-09 season, some high points so subtle as to have escaped the attention of some. Most positive of the positives, I think, is the evidence that the new Ralph has finally, decisively become home ice for the Sioux with all the advantages that status entails. See link:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/arti...4/group/Sports/

Great article. Thank you Sioux for the memories. Thank you Brad for the writeup. And I hope everyone truly appreciates the severe injuries a number of players were dealing with at the end of the year. That is incredible.

Great article.This year's team shattered everyone's expectations,it was awesome to see.Can't wait for next season.

yeah they made Jess Meyers look like an ass when he predicted they would finish 7th. That was a big joke.

yeah they made Jess Meyers look like an ass when he predicted they would finish 7th. That was a big joke.

I can't really fault him.

You never know what you'er going to get with a freshman #1 goaltender. It could be like Kieren Millan of BU this year or Bachman last year. It could also be a superflop. Eidsness did great as a freshman goaltender.

However, that uncertainty can damper predictions.

Anyways, I'd rather have us picked to finish 7th and finish better than that than have us picked #1 and have us finish...say...#6. :D

You never know what you'er going to get with a freshman #1 goaltender. It could be like Kieren Millan of BU this year or Bachman last year. It could also be a superflop. Eidsness did great as a freshman goaltender.

Anyways, I'd rather have us picked to finish 7th and finish better than that than have us picked #1 and have us finish...say...#6. :D

With the balance UND had I don't think anything less that 5th would be possible or acceptable.

I also think that one has to look for the silver linnings. :)

With the balance UND had I don't think anything less that 5th would be possible or acceptable.

I also think that one has to look for the silver linnings. ;)

silver linings or not, he couldn't put all ten teams in the top five :) and i agree with redwing, freshman goalie, as good as he turned out to be, was our question mark. as far as meyers, inch.com or whoever else, the Sioux are the team everyone loves to hate, and they usually won't give respect until they have to. let them keep underestimating us, it makes it more fun anyways ;) on a side note, when are they going to take the picture of bachman holding the mcnaughton cup off the wcha website? he's no longer in the league, and cc is no longer in possesion of the cup :D

agreed, but not only that but last year we didn't get much scoring from most of those who came back and with the loss os oshie, chorney, and bina last year I could see why some had some big questions for us-goaltending and scoring. most of us on this board when we make predictions for the sioux do it with kelly green glasses on and those outside of this board don't. 7th was a bit low for a prediction for us but as it turned out first was too high for cc. and heck through the end of november that seventh place finish was looking as too high of prediction.

agreed, but not only that but last year we didn't get much scoring from most of those who came back and with the loss os oshie, chorney, and bina last year I could see why some had some big questions for us-goaltending and scoring. most of us on this board when we make predictions for the sioux do it with kelly green glasses on and those outside of this board don't. 7th was a bit low for a prediction for us but as it turned out first was too high for cc. and heck through the end of november that seventh place finish was looking as too high of prediction.

Could you imagine if the Sioux had actually finished 7th, there would be rioting in the streets. :D

They finished 6th and played the Gophers in the first round of the playoffs and there were a lot

of unhappy people up here.

Remember, in 2002 we were only a couple of years removed from an National Championship, which helped dull the frustration. In addition, we expected to reload and challenge for a Championship immediately (in Bais we trusted). The same type of season now would be met with a lot more frustration because another Championship has been a long time comming - we've come tantalizingly close but no cigar. I'm having a hard time deciding what I feel about this season - definately greater highs and lows than others. Although I love the second half surges, these types of seasons are wearing me out. When we rely on this, we need to peak exactly right or we get a finish like this year. The timing seems too fragile to want to continue this pattern. I know that there are different opinions out there, but I feel that we were one blue-chipper away from the big time this year. I like 4 solid lines also, but give me a Toews or Oshie to seal the deal.

The high point for me was watching Duncan end a fantastic college career.