SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Recruiting Class

UND Fan

It was noted under Future Recruit that Shyla Kuehl had a very good senior season. Another girl that will likely be relied on a great deal next year is Brittany Peterson from Spencer, IA. The 5'10" guard was first team All-State in Iowa's second largest division. She averaged 19 points/game, about 90% on FTs, over 600 career assists. Her team lost by one point in the first game of the 3A tourney and finished the season at 21-4. It appears that she is very talented!

Of course, Nicole Smart's season is still going. Ada-Borup is hoping for a second straight state champiosnhip. Smart is averaging 20+ points - I would think she will be an asset for us in the future as well.

I don't know much about Rothfusz or Houdek - hopefully, they will also be contributors.

It was noted under Future Recruit that Shyla Kuehl had a very good senior season. Another girl that will likely be relied on a great deal next year is Brittany Peterson from Spencer, IA. The 5'10" guard was first team All-State in Iowa's second largest division. She averaged 19 points/game, about 90% on FTs, over 600 career assists. Her team lost by one point in the first game of the 3A tourney and finished the season at 21-4. It appears that she is very talented!

Of course, Nicole Smart's season is still going. Ada-Borup is hoping for a second straight state champiosnhip. Smart is averaging 20+ points - I would think she will be an asset for us in the future as well.

I don't know much about Rothfusz or Houdek - hopefully, they will also be contributors.

Rothfusz doesn't have highly impressive statistics, but she was listed by ESPN as one of the top six prospects in MN this year, so apparently she must have very good potential.

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens in the late signing period coming up in the next month or so. Allegedly, UND has one more scholarship to give, and is looking at Sharkova from Lake Region. But if you look at the expected returnees and the four who have already signed during the early signing period, I don't see how there can be a scholarship for Peterson (who is only verbally committed) AND Sharkova. Perhaps there is more than one player on the current roster who is a walk-on, because short of somebody leaving early, that would appear to be the only way both players end up at UND on scholarship.

Rothfusz doesn't have highly impressive statistics, but she was listed by ESPN as one of the top six prospects in MN this year, so apparently she must have very good potential.

I'm going to be very interested to see what happens in the late signing period coming up in the next month or so. Allegedly, UND has one more scholarship to give, and is looking at Sharkova from Lake Region. But if you look at the expected returnees and the four who have already signed during the early signing period, I don't see how there can be a scholarship for Peterson (who is only verbally committed) AND Sharkova. Perhaps there is more than one player on the current roster who is a walk-on, because short of somebody leaving early, that would appear to be the only way both players end up at UND on scholarship.

I know it has been said that every player on the current roster has a full scholarship but I find it difficult to believe that everyone would still be on a full-ride next year. Hopefully, they will all turn out to be DI players but I have my doubts!

If I'm not mistaken, the dI limit for women's basketball scholarships is 15, and you can't split scholarships among multiple players like you can in dII. Is that accurate?

I believe you are correct. My thoughts are that someone is either leaving the program or potentially losing their scholarship!

I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this: You can give a partial scholarship, but only if you are not a fully funded program. In women's basketball, you can give a maximum of 15 scholarships to a maximum of 15 student-athletes. If your program is giving out the 15 full-rides, then it's all or nothing. However, if your program only has the money for, say, 10 scholarships, then those 10 scholarships can be divided among 15 student-athletes. I've searched the sections of the NCAA Division I Manual that deal with scholarship limits, and I've never found anything that says the head-count sports must give full-rides or nothing at all.

That all being said, most of the head-count sports do give out full-rides or nothing because the vast majority are fully funded. The head-count sports are FBS football, MBB, WBB, WVB, WGYM, & WTennis. The first three are almost always fully funded in DI, the fourth normally is, and the last two are not often talked about. It's easy to see how the "all or nothing" misinterpretation got started. (assuming I'm right)

I know it has been said that every player on the current roster has a full scholarship but I find it difficult to believe that everyone would still be on a full-ride next year. Hopefully, they will all turn out to be DI players but I have my doubts!

It looks like the recruiting is going in the right direction. I do think there is going to have to be a reshuffling of scholarships somehow, whether that be people losing them, etc. It is hard to say what the red shirt members will do as we haven't seen them play. We have 2 that will be doing serious rehab and there availability is a question. Of the 8 available at the end of the season, playing time was still very limited for some. The only for sures I think we have are Bagasaan, Youngblut, Bergan ,Seay and Lof. (Ledger and Privratsky if they are healed.) The rest I feel could be up for grabs.

Girls Basketball | Eden Prairie ousts John Marshall from state tournament

Is Rothfusz coming to North Dakota to play BB or soccer?

The Eagles got 19 points from sophomore guard Morgan Van Riper-Rose, with 13 in the second half. Senior center Michelle Tobin, who will play college basketball at Winona State, had 12 points and seven rebounds. Senior forward Carly Rothfusz, who will play soccer at the University of North Dakota, added 11 points.

• 5 weeks later...
I had hoped that we would have learned by now that the center from Lake Region (or some other talented recruit) had signed with us. Anyone know if an announcement is forthcoming?

I heard she was on campus for an official vist over the weekend. We need another big, I hope she can play.

Sharkova signs with UND women’s basketball for 2009-10 season

Sharkova, a native of Borisov Minsk Region, Belarus, played the last two years for the 2009 Mon-Dak Conference champion Lake Region State College in Devils Lake, N.D.

She was named to the 2009 All-Mon-Dak first team and was voted the Region XIII Most Valuable Player.

A 6’5” sophomore, Sharkova led LRSC and the league in rebounds with 10.4 per game and finished second in the conference with and average of 15.75 points. She was a 76.9 percent free throw shooter and added an average of 2.75 blocks and two steals per game.

6'5". Wow.