SiouxSports.com Forum

Newberry No Names

nodakvindy

Personally for me, the biggest reason I would support having no nickname is that I have no faith in administrators and "constituent committees" to pick replacement nicknames that wouldn't make me throw up.

Precisely. They'd probably hire a marketing firm, do a few focus groups, design an "eye-catching logo" and we'd probably end up with the "Prairie Sun" or "Dung Flies". :whistling:

As far as other NA names, given their track record in warfare over time as evidenced by their current state, we'd be better off with the "Surrendering Frenchies" than "Fighting _______"

...But make no mistake, there is going to be a strong push by those who pushed to see the nickname dropped to replace the nickname as soon as possible. They will deem all of us pushing for no nickname to be clinging to the Sioux name...

Yep, you'd better believe that they will do exactly that...

And any new nickname will automatically be labeled "
nice and neutral
" whether it's the Fighting Dungflies or Pine Cones or whatever.
:whistling:

I think pursuing another Native American name is a dumb idea. Let's go the "no-name" approach and be deliberate about this.

I agree. All that will happen is that this will happen again some time in the future. The only question is when the NCAA will determine that other nicknames are also abusive and hostile. The no-name potential could be a problem since Dakota is the name of a Sioux tribe (and by NCAA definition, hostile and abusive).

Precisely. They'd probably hire a marketing firm, do a few focus groups, design an "eye-catching logo" and we'd probably end up with the "Prairie Sun" or "Dung Flies". :whistling:

As far as other NA names, given their track record in warfare over time as evidenced by their current state, we'd be better off with the "Surrendering Frenchies" than "Fighting _______"

I for one hope they dont' do that.

Ugh.

I strongly agree with the no-nickname approach. But make no mistake, there is going to be a strong push by those who pushed to see the nickname dropped to replace the nickname as soon as possible. They will deem all of us pushing for no nickname to be clinging to the Sioux name.

Personally for me, the biggest reason I would support having no nickname is that I have no faith in administrators and "constituent committees" to pick replacement nicknames that wouldn't make me throw up.

Exactly!

...The only question is when the NCAA will determine that other nicknames are also abusive and hostile...

I've got a long list of names for them. If you want to talk about one ethnicity, you need to talk about them all. So let's start with Fighting
Irish

And if you look at the first two seconds of this clip from ESPN, you'll see that the Providence
Friars
are
still
mocking religion here in 2009!

...The no-name potential could be a problem since Dakota is the name of a Sioux tribe (and by NCAA definition, hostile and abusive).

I would just love to see them try this. Just love it. The Pandora's Box would be opened so wide that they would be (even more) exposed for the hypocrisy they already demonstrate.